It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Postal Service to Destroy Michelle O. 'Just Move' Stamp Series Over Safety Concerns

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Postal Service to Destroy Michelle O. 'Just Move' Stamp Series Over Safety Concerns

Part of Michelle Obama’s “Let’s Move” initiative includes some postage stamps.

The stamp set has 3 of 15 that apparently are some kind of safety concern.

Helmets and kneepads are missing !!!

You would think this would have been known before actually starting a print run ?

I wonder *WHO* got paid for this boondoggle this time.

Looks like more waste. “Let’s Move” as in let's move money from your bank to our bank.

According to Linn’s Stamp News, the US Postal Service has now been forced to destroy the entire run of stamps based on Michelle Obama’s “Let’s Move” initiative.

That’s because three of the stamps showed children doing unsafe activities: one showed a child jumping cannonball-style into water; a second showed a child skateboarding without kneepads; a third showed a child doing a headstand without a helmet.

The President’s Council on Fitness, Sports & Nutrition had not approved the stamps, but were only made aware of the problem after Nagisa Manabe, USPS marketing chief, asked Michelle Obama to take part in the ceremony inaugurating the initiative.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Maybe its just me, but this is laughable.

Have a good night all, be sure to bubble wrap your children.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Worst first lady ever.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Well I hope nobody tells these loons about video games

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I once did a headstand without a helmet.

Now I'm a member of ATS.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   
It makes you wonder how on earth we've lasted for all these thousands of years without safety pads and helmets.

Myself and EVERY child I grew up with did so without pads and helmets, and we learnt to be careful.
aaahhh!!!
Now I get it!
We're not supposed to LEARN by ourselves, we need to be taught to be careful.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   

That’s because three of the stamps showed children doing unsafe activities:

OK sounds reasonable, we dont want to promote unsafe things for a kid, so what kind of unsafe activities are we talking about?

one showed a child jumping cannonball-style into water;

Wow, OK, Whats the problem? maybe a cannonball shaped person could be viewed as promoting firearm use?

a second showed a child skateboarding without kneepads;

Ok a bit more sensible, I can understand this one, but still kinda silly

a third showed a child doing a headstand without a helmet.

OMG, now this is the most ridiculous of them all..
a helmet..... to do a headstand.. NO just NO..
Is that even a real thing?
Has anyone ever suggested anywhere that kids should wear helmets to do headstands?
Should they also wear neck braces also?

Whats next?
Are they going to start recommending kids should be in cushioned bubbles before even going outside?

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Woah, you mean there are parents that actually allow kids to cannonball into the water? What's next, diving? Swimming without floaties?

One time I was allowed to chew food without a mouthguard .. now that could have turned out bad!

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Im2keul

No it is not you. The government has taken over the roll of raising children. Seat belts ,bubble wrap, helmets,mouth guards, kneepads, slave collars are now all mandatory for all children

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
What about the cartwheel? They aren't wearing a helmet or knee pads either!
The child stretching could pull a muscle.
The child with the jump rope could trip over the rope or get tangled in it causing them to fall.
The kid that is juggling could get hit in the head with one of the balls, same with the kid playing baseball, soccer and basketball.
The kid hiking/climbing the rope doesn't have any safety equipment.

Lets just ban all physical activities because they all could be dangerous.

edit on 10-10-2013 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I heard about a poll done recently where 14 of 20 respondents believed that people should be required to wear protective helmets when they are outdoors.... no activities stipulated, just being outdoors!

What a whacko nanny statist country we have become.
SMH.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

Exactly! Ya know I went and got all that crap for my kids and the used it for like ten seconds.
It's not like they are out doing stunts or extreme sports, right?

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Isn't the USPS in need of money? Just put the stamps into circulation and save us all some extra expense. My kids aren't going to even notice the missing safety items since nobody wears them at our local playgrounds anyhow.

Where do you buy a helmet for headstands? Last I saw there are helmets for things with wheels and they state on their packaging that they are specific to that sport. I do not recall seeing a headstand helmet in any of the sporting goods stores that I have been in recently. Of course, I wasn't really looking for one either.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Depending on where they live, Kevlar might be a wiser choice.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by evc1shop

I would love to see the reaction form a sporting store employee when you ask him where the headstand helmets are located
LOL

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Im2keul

Maybe its just me, but this is laughable.

Have a good night all, be sure to bubble wrap your children.

Either some republican in that decision making process is using it for political reasons, or there is other nonsense going on.

What a waste of time and money.

Recalled because a kid is doing a canonball in the water? WTF

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Kr0nZ

I would love to see the reaction form a sporting store employee when you ask him where the headstand helmets are located
LOL

No kidding! I tried saying it in my head and it just makes me crack up. I used to play so many rough games like "king of the hill" where we had a steep grade at the edge of a field and about 15-30 of us would try rushing up and the one who got up there first then had to defend their position by knocking, throwing, shoving, rolling the others down while not getting tossed themselves.
This, we played almost daily during our recess periods in elementary and middle school. We'd all be suspended or expelled in the current PC environment.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   

This is dumb.

I was just thinking " How the hell could a stamp, be a safety issue?"

Now I see.

I guess USPS is pissed about something lol

"Forced to destroy" Like it's some giant atrocity.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by supermarket2012

Agreed.

First thing that came to mind was that commercial with the child bound in bubble wrap.

youtu.be...

Still laughing at the Kevlar response, sadly it's true in some areas.
edit on 10-10-2013 by Im2keul because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   

evc1shop

Kr0nZ

LOL

No kidding! I tried saying it in my head and it just makes me crack up. I used to play so many rough games like "king of the hill" where we had a steep grade at the edge of a field and about 15-30 of us would try rushing up and the one who got up there first then had to defend their position by knocking, throwing, shoving, rolling the others down while not getting tossed themselves.
This, we played almost daily during our recess periods in elementary and middle school. We'd all be suspended or expelled in the current PC environment.

So true! But we had fun back then. We even had toy guns!

new topics

<<   2 >>

join