It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rep. Sheila Jackson - Martial Law re- Resolving Govt Shutdown

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Does she even know what she just said?!

Martial Law to pass laws quickly?! WTF?!

I had to post this simply because I want to know what you guys think.

HOW DO WE KEEP ELECTING THESE IDIOTS!?

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I'm guessing you are working on it right now, because your missing something dear. No video?

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
My post from this thread;
www.abovetopsecret.com...

"I think she is referring to a type of voting procedure;

The Martial Law Rule parliamentary procedure is used by Congress to force a vote by dispensing with a longstanding House rule (Rule XIII(6a)) intended to give U.S. Representatives and the public enough time to understand significant legislation.

fellowshipoftheminds.com...
edit on 10-10-2013 by tanda7 because: links

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   

tanda7

The Martial Law Rule parliamentary procedure is used by Congress to force a vote by dispensing with a longstanding House rule (Rule XIII(6a)) intended to give U.S. Representatives and the public enough time to understand significant legislation.

You are correct. Nice to see someone look into something instead of just jumping on the bandwagon. This article is from 2006.

Under the martial law procedure, longstanding House rules that require at least one day between the unveiling of significant legislation and the House floor vote on that legislation — so that Members can learn what they are being asked to vote on — are swept away. Instead, under “martial law,” the Leadership can file legislation with tens or hundreds of pages of fine print and move immediately to debate and votes on it, before Members of Congress, the media, or the public have an opportunity to understand fully what provisions have been altered or inserted into the legislation behind closed doors. This is the procedure that the Leadership intends to use to muscle through important bills in the next two days.

www.cbpp.org...

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   

MrSpad

tanda7

You are correct. Nice to see someone look into something instead of just jumping on the bandwagon. This article is from 2006.

Under the martial law procedure, longstanding House rules that require at least one day between the unveiling of significant legislation and the House floor vote on that legislation — so that Members can learn what they are being asked to vote on — are swept away. Instead, under “martial law,” the Leadership can file legislation with tens or hundreds of pages of fine print and move immediately to debate and votes on it, before Members of Congress, the media, or the public have an opportunity to understand fully what provisions have been altered or inserted into the legislation behind closed doors. This is the procedure that the Leadership intends to use to muscle through important bills in the next two days.

www.cbpp.org...

So is that the procedure used when the ACA was rammed through?
edit on 10-10-2013 by Mikeultra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Mikeultra

MrSpad

tanda7

www.cbpp.org...

So is that the procedure used when the ACA was rammed through?
edit on 10-10-2013 by Mikeultra because: (no reason given)

Oh no, that thing was debated for years. The ironic thing is it is mostly just a copy of Romneys ACA in Massachusetts and that this version of it is very close to ones submitted by the GOP as the Health Equity and Access Reform Today Act and then later jointly by the DNC and GOP only to have it die in committee. So its really the same thing that has been floating around for over a decade supported and opposed by each party depending on who was pushing it at the time.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

So let me get this straight:

The Democrats can't come up with their own laws so they have to steal someone else's and pass it off as their own?

IS that about right?

Do tell why is it called Obama care? ?

Why aren't they calling it 'Romney care' ?

I really do have to laugh and the incessant left trying to blame the right for what the left does.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Actually, it's not legally titled "Obama Care", it's called Affordable Care Act and you can read about it here:

Affordable Care Act
edit on 10/10/13 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   

tanda7

Ding Ding Ding give yourself a red lollypop for that right answer lol. Guess she was smarter than most that appear to be posting anyway lol.

These republicans are just shear idiots to let few fanatics in tea party control them and make them look like idiots. They will lose the house now, same thing happened last time they shut down govt. They have short memories lol.

I hope they all get voted out, pathetic. Seriously they are idiots.

The Bot

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   

neo96
reply to post by MrSpad

So let me get this straight:

The Democrats can't come up with their own laws so they have to steal someone else's and pass it off as their own?

IS that about right?

Do tell why is it called Obama care? ?

Why aren't they calling it 'Romney care' ?

I really do have to laugh and the incessant left trying to blame the right for what the left does.

Obamacare and its GOP orgins are result of an attempt by the DNC to compromise. The left would like the US to have single payer health care like the rest of the civilized world. That of course would never fly with the GOP so Clinton tried forcing employers to pay for it, that was shot down and the GOP alternative was pretty much and early version of Obamacare. Later it became the law of land in MA thanks to Romney and works pretty well. When the DNC was pushing the affordable care act they adopted Romneys idea, one because it worked and two because they though the GOP would have no logical reason to not support it. Instead the GOP got in bed with the Tea Party nutters who called it Obamacare and delcared it was all a part of Obamas muslim, communist, CIA plot to kill everybody. Now have no doubt if Obamacare begins to work well the GOP will start calling the ACA and remind people it was a GOP idea to start. This is not blame. It is called history something people in America seem to like to forget.

new topics

top topics

join