It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you ever gone dumpster diving???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Have you ever gone dumpster diving??? And what did you find? This might sound very weird but there's a giant big box area not far from me. so I was checking google maps. As it turns out most of the dumpsters are unlocked, open and accessable to the public. So I was thinking next time I'm down there of looking into a few of them and seeing what they have. I was watching a documentary about Freegans and they claim that's how they get most anything they want, just by dumbster diving. I think this might actually be a valuable skill to know. We live in a throw away society so my thought was that if you just lived off what people throw out, then you could probably learn to live for free and or get most anything you want for free. I'm not thinking of doing this full time or anything but I figure in case I end up living in a van then it would be a good skill to know this. But hopefully things don't get that bad, it's one thing to do that by choice and then another because you're forced to. I just like the idea of getting things for free. There's a lot of free out there if you know where to look.

This guy is kinda weird. He's doing it with his girlfriend. That's just not cool.

vimeo.com...
edit on 10-10-2013 by spartacus699 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

I have gone once with some people I had met that day downtown who were helping me fix my bike for free, we ate a couple perfectly fine looking pizzas that were cooked fresh that day. It was an eye opener on many levels.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   

I haven't done actual dumpster diving, but around here people post about "curb alerts" where they put items on the curb. I got a chair that way once and an outdoor play house for my kid that way. I like to redo furniture, so if I see a piece with potential, I will not hesitate to stop and snatch it up!
Dumpsters kinda creep me out though, so I wouldn't do that unless I was in a dire situation.

One of my family members used to live in a trailer park behind a walmart and a grocery. He was very poor, and would raid the dumpsters regularly. He found various pieces of furniture, tvs, appliances, canned goods, etc. He was mechanically inclined, so many times the things he found only needed a simple repair job. I think half his trailer was furnished with cast offs.

I think it is a shame how wasteful our society is.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I just think as a survivalist this would be a quintessential skill-set. I'm just kind tired of buying things. I don't want to have to buy anything anymore. All that is is another bit of propaganda brainwashing that we've been brought up to believe is something we need to do. Like when the bushman of Africa goes about there day, you think they're buying anything? They don't buy a thing. The only thing we actually most likely need to buy is stuff like fuel for our cars as likely you wont' find that for free. most anything else you can get for free in a variety of ways, dumpster diving being just 1 of the ways. Most anything to do with the system is not one that I want to be part of anymore. It's all a scam.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I know many who go to the local malls and go dumpster diving then sale what they find on FB but they actually cut locks off the dumpsters . My wife has a store at the nearest mall and she has found many items she has damaged out and had thrown away in the past on some woman's FB page . I now have her bring everything home and I destroy it with a (sledge)hammer and then I toss it away here at home .

My town's trash men go through our trash and take what they want so I have to make sure it is all busted up beyond recognition and any and all documents are shredded .
edit on 10-10-2013 by whenandwhere because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I did once, It was a house that a person had recently died in, And the Bank, just threw everything away. I found tools, a tool box, a shotgun as crazy as that sounds, it had been taken apart, but still, I managed to put it all back together. And much Much more stuff. I think that when a person dies and there is No family to take the stuff, the Bank just throws everything away. The Cops showed up, and told me to leave, After looking at what I had, He said I did really good. The Cop didnt see the Shotgun Thank god

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   

I absolutely get what you're saying! I enjoy going to thrift stores and yard sales too. Yes, you are still buying things, but I feel a little better when I get it for a much lower price. Plus, it's used, so thats one less new item thats being made.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by whenandwhere

I think it is horrible that people damage property to dumpster dive (even just breaking a padlock to get in). However, I think if the dumpster is open, and they are not making a big mess, then it's really not hurting anyone. If your wife throws product away, she marks it off. So it's not a loss to her either.

As far as smashing the things up so your garbage men can't take them, I just don't agree with that. (Shred your documents, absolutely, but breaking perfectly good stuff?) They have a pretty crappy job when you think about it... and how many people give their garbage men a tip? I don't think it hurts one bit to let them take your cast offs.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I used to work for a charitable organisation assisting people who were homeless and people with both drug and alcohol addiction, some of them could not afford food to live...

I used to go around all the supermarkets asking them for food that would be out of date by the end of the day, but they always refused on the grounds of health and safety regulations...

They even refused to give us dented cans of food even though they were going to throw it all away because it would not sell...

Although the manager at the time in one of the stores told me what time they were going to dump it outside and where, he even gave me the wink, if you know what I mean?

Anyway, I went back to the place where I worked later and with a pretty loud voice I told my manager in front of all the clients in the centre so that they could hear me of what the manager of the store had said...

Anyway the following day some of the clients came into the centre and told me that they had been to the bin at the back of the supermarket the night before and they had come away with all sorts of food products including salmon, mince meat, loads of kilo's of cheese, vegetables, bread and loads of other stuff. One young homeless guy even came away with a brand new jacket and trousers which was thrown away just because there were two buttons missing off the jacket and a slight rip in the seam of the trousers...

Anyway, this diving into the bin became quite a regular pastime on a weekly basis and always seemed to be on the same day every week, and there was always loads of food that always seemed to be in a clean part of the bin. It was as if the manager of the store actually gave a s**t for the well-being of the people concerned and did the best that he could out of the sight of other managers that were above him....

I have always been grateful to that store manager who had a heart, some people actually do give a s**t about the people who are less better off than themselves....
edit on 10-10-2013 by davethebear because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I don't dumpster dive, but like another poster stated, once a year, the whole town puts unwanted stuff out to the curb. Usually about a week early. By the time the pick up day arrives, less than half of the stuff is still out there. You see people all day long driving around town, with pick ups loaded! I've found a few really nice things and some friends have even scored working TV's, stereos, stuff like that.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   

I used to supplement my income quite a lot by dumpster diving. But I had a special time and place to ply my trade.

After the school year was over at my local univ. dorms many students would just throw everything away when they went back home. The dumpsters would be overflowing with GOOD stuff. Books, computers, clothes still new, booze, etc.

I used to even salvage cars and motorcycles that were broken down in the dorm parking lots that needed only minor repair.

edit on 10-10-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Yes. I have gone dumpster diving for both food and objects.

The best places are the fast food joints near closing time, you can usually actually talk the staff into giving you what they're about to throw out. Works for homeless.

As far as other stuff the best places to go are college campuses around the time when the kids would be moving out(end of semesters etc.).

Also the back of grocery stores as they chunk items that have been damaged in commute etc. I have found huge bags of cereal etc. that someone cut with the box cutters on accident etc.

The people who usually know the best places are groups of vagrants if you can find some that aren't complete drug addicts/violent.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   

A friend and I used to do this. We would wait for Mcdonalds to have those monoply contests, then dumpster dive in the back of it. We found that most people didnt peal off the stickers on the food, and we got free food all the time.

So anyone that wants a free hamber and fries do the same. It works and we got tons of free food. Every day we would turn in more then go in the back and get more. It was awesome, but downside you get a bit fat...LOL>

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   

I don't dumpster dive for myself, but I have a buddy who is always in the market for some burnable wood, because he has a fire dish in his back yard. If I am walking past a skip at the roadside, I will pinch any wood that looks good, but not useful for anything in particular construction wise.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Back in the pentium 1 era I used to dumpster dive all the city's computer store bins.

They were never locked and I always came away with quite a few useable items .

Here if it's thrown out its public so anyone can look or take what they find except private dumps which most are now.

I'm not proud...if it's to the side and good I still take it to either use or re home for free to someone in need.

I have found in the past that the fall to homelessness is shorter than most people want to think about (having experienced it), and when you arrive there you find there are a lot more helpfull people in this world than you might guess.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
A while back I was homeless in San Diego, CA for about a year or so. Dumpster diving was pretty much a main activity for me.

You can find ANYTHING you could want in there. Clean clothing, furniture, tarps, sleeping bags, bikes, tents, art work, blankets, back packs, stationary... really, anything.

I knew people that would hit McDonalds and Donut shops. If done at the right time of day you would get bags and bags of uneaten food. I had other ways to feed myself, so I never did this.

It takes diligence and patience. After a while you get to know what areas are better than others. More affluent areas had better garbage. Rich people throw away everything.

I always liked rumage sales, so dumpster diving was kind of fun. It's a little thrill when you discover something good.

On occation I would sell clothing to second-hand shops for some cash, but most of the time I was doing it to keep a clean shirt on my back.

There is an ettiquete to it. No, you don't cut a lock. Damaging property is bad. People get pissed and you will eventually have police called on you. Also, don't make a mess. If you pull the dumpster apart, make sure you throw everything back in when you are done. Some residents knew me by face and a few actually thanked my for being considerate.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
No. But I did have sex in a dumpster once. She was very trashy.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Years ago I would dumpster dive. I would mainly look for bottles and cans - anything recyclable that I could make a little money on. But it was amazing how many other things I would find. Furniture, clothes, random knick knacks. It was a shame I just had no space to put any of it.

kmb08753
There is an ettiquete to it. No, you don't cut a lock. Damaging property is bad. People get pissed and you will eventually have police called on you. Also, don't make a mess. If you pull the dumpster apart, make sure you throw everything back in when you are done. Some residents knew me by face and a few actually thanked my for being considerate.

Exactly. In my experience, police love messing with the homeless. Have to be careful not to give them a reason.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   

chiefsmom
I don't dumpster dive, but like another poster stated, once a year, the whole town puts unwanted stuff out to the curb. Usually about a week early. By the time the pick up day arrives, less than half of the stuff is still out there. You see people all day long driving around town, with pick ups loaded! I've found a few really nice things and some friends have even scored working TV's, stereos, stuff like that.
Yep,we have that going on here right now. Just scored new dresser,sofa and chair. I go gung ho over this every year,and have almost totally converted my hubby to it. Good thing we have a truck.

edit on 10-10-2013 by AccessDenied because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Treespeaker

I have found in the past that the fall to homelessness is shorter than most people want to think about (having experienced it), and when you arrive there you find there are a lot more helpfull people in this world than you might guess.

Not to derail the thread... But yeah, there are many helpful people out there. Food banks and people that would just show up handing out food in public places. Many churches even gave out clothing.

By the time I got the hang of it I was part of a large community of homeless folk that shared food and other necessities(blankets, clothing, tobacco...). A lot of kooks, but that just made it interesting.

The hardest part was getting over the shame and embarrassment I would feel when in public view. Once that was in check it wasn't bad, for a while anyway.

I don't mean to paint a rosy picture though. It was hard. You would spend all day searching for the things you need or offering what you have. Never having a place to put your things and lack of privacy was the worst part. Put something down and in a day it was lost. Living with the whole city as your roommate was tiring.

My experience was probably better than most though.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join