It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Photograph that shamed Mexico:Health director suspended after shocking image of indigenous woman

page: 1

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 03:06 AM
link   

A disturbing photograph of an indigenous woman from Mexico delivering a baby on a patch of grass outside a medical center has set off a firestorm online and sparked a national debate that led to the suspension of the head of the clinic that has turned the mother away.
The shocking image, taken by a passerby, shows 29-year-old Irma Lopez , who is of Mazatec ethnicity, squatting after giving birth, her face contorted in pain and her tiny newborn son still bound by the umbilical cord and lying on the ground.
The government of the southern state of Oaxaca announced Wednesday that it has suspended the health center's director, Dr. Adrian Cruz, while officials conduct state and federal investigations into the October 2 incident.

Scandalous: This disturbing photo of Irma Lopez, 29, squatting in pain outside a Mexican health clinic after giving birth without any help from the staff set off an outrage in the country after appearing on the front page of the tabloid La Razon de Mexico
Sory guys for the image..i dont mean anything,just want to share this shame info and hope there is nothing like this anymore around the globe..

this really make me angry, what the hell they doing? thats a life born! a human! what a shame on that doctor and nurse, are they dont have HEART???

An hour and a half later, at 7.30am, the woman’s water broke. Knowing that the time has come, Lopez kneeled on the grass outside the clinic and started pushing while grabbing the wall of a house.
‘I didn't want to deliver like this. It was so ugly and with so much pain,’ she said, adding she was alone for the birth because her husband was trying to persuade the nurse to call for help.
Eloy Pacheco Lopez, who was among a number of people drawn to the site by the mother’s screams, took the photo and gave it to a news reporter. It ran in several national newspapers, including the full front page of the tabloid La Razon de Mexico, and was widely circulated on the Internet.

Nice Job Mr.Eloy Pacheco Lopez!! you are a Hero!

Read Entire Story here : www.dailymail.co.uk...
edit on 10-10-2013 by cheesy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Poor woman...Some doctors are forgetting their Hippocratic oath, I fear that many doctors now are going into medicine for the status and $£ instead of wanting to help folk.

I really feel lucky that I was born in the UK and that we have socialized medicine (NHS) yes it is far from perfect but it has saved my life twice when I was a baby (I was a premmie under 2 pound).
Wouldn't the world be better If instead of bombs and guns being bought with our tax $£ they gave us better healthcare?.

As usual Cheesy great work fella
edit on 10-10-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 05:21 AM
link   
The class system is still in effect in Mexico and Indigenous people are often treated like dirt there.
There is a pattern of consistent neglect and abuse by government agencies.
Glad everything turned out alright for the baby and mother.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   
The unfortunate reality of this situation is that this happens in America too, A LOT. So many women give birth in unsanitary conditions because they lack healthcare and fear going to an emergency room for whatever reason.

I feel bad for this woman, what horror to have endured this type of treatment.

In my opinion, women need to take back their power and not rely on medical *doctors* for birthing anyway. The power of midwives must be restored.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   
But...but...we're "civilized". This can't happen in the 21rst century. We're so much better than our barbaric ancestors. Right?

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I can't blame them one bit for risking everything to come here. Hey Obama...let's help Mexico.

This photo is a symptom of a larger social disease.

I hope it's not contagious. I live next door.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
With this photo Mexico just became the poster boy of third world nations. It wasn't like Mexico was even coming close to being first world, but this will just solidify the worlds perception of Mexico being a third world hellhole. It's no wonder why they flock across the border to escape situations like this and at least a dozen other things. Wouldn't you get out if you could???

ETA: Great post as usual Cheesy, S & F for you.
edit on 10-10-2013 by Nucleardoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Looks like Mexico may need more clinics and physicians. Something to focus on for Mexican politicians when it comes to education no?

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Starwise
The unfortunate reality of this situation is that this happens in America too, A LOT. So many women give birth in unsanitary conditions because they lack healthcare and fear going to an emergency room for whatever reason.

I feel bad for this woman, what horror to have endured this type of treatment.

In my opinion, women need to take back their power and not rely on medical *doctors* for birthing anyway. The power of midwives must be restored.

No hospital can refuse a woman who shows up in labor, please site the many examples that shows this is a problem in America. We have all kinds of programs for poor pregnant women and new mothers, so please spare me the propaganda without some serious proof that many hospitals are turning away women in labor.

Women living in unsanitary conditions who are refusing to go to a hospital is not part of this. We can't fix stupid.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
You'd be shocked even more if knew how often this happens in the US as well. Great work Cheesy! Becoming one of my favorite posters.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
How is that very sad image not a reminder
to keep Health Care available for all ?

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   

sealing
How is that very sad image not a reminder
to keep Health Care available for all ?

Yes its a BIG reminder..And The Director oh the Clinic Get Jail..

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   
I decided to have my baby abroad because I couldn't afford insurance in the US and I didn't qualify for any of the "programs". For all of you that think that the USA is some kind of amazing country that is better than the rest of the world, as an American I can confirm that it's not. Not everyone can afford health insurance, not everyone is treated fairly in hospitals and many women can't afford prenatal care, much less a delivery without insurance coverage. You don't even read about it on the front page.

I'm glad her story received coverage. Hopefully, some real "hope" and "change" can come to the poor of Mexico because of her story.

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by UnifiedSerenity

A pregnancy is about much more than a delivery. It's about prenatal and postnatal care too. Yes, they can't refuse an emergency natural delivery in the US but what about all the services that are required during, before and after? Without insurance coverage, your pregnancy, life and the life of your newborn are all in peril and at the mercy of a hospital that will give you only the basic services.

The stupid thing here is the ignorance of people that do not understand that America's healthcare system is just as broken as Mexico's and will continue to be broken and ineffective in the near future.

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

And after the TOTAL INDIGNITY of given birth on a hospital LAWN and being PHOTOGRAPHED now her humiliation is complete. The entire world has seen her squatting in what should be a PRIVATE MOMENT.

I find this so outrageous.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Hay don't judge too harshly if certain forces in the U.S have their way that's exactly what would happen there... ask why there is a government shut down

new topics

top topics

join