It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing Images of Pakistan's Earthquake Island - Zalzala Koh

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   

A new island, now called Zalzala Koh, emerged offshore of the town of Gwadar in Pakistan after a powerful Sept. 24 earthquake. Likely a form of mud volcano, the island rose from the seafloor hours after the magnitude-7.7 earthquake struck about 380 kilometers (230 miles) inland.

On Sept. 26, 2013, the Advanced Land Imager on NASA's Earth Observing-1 satellite captured an image of Pakistan's new island, which sits roughly one kilometer (0.6 miles) offshore of the town of Gwadar.

Before the earthquake

No island is visible in this image of Gwadar from April 17, 2013, snapped by the Landsat 8 satellite.

Zalzala Koh close-up

An aerial photo from Pakistan's National Institute of Oceanography suggests the gray-colored mound is about 60 to 70 feet (15 to 20 meters) tall. The surface is covered in sea creatures such as dead fish and is a mixture of mud, sand and rock. It is solid enough for people to walk on.

How big?

The French Pleiades satellite mapped the muddy hill's dimensions, which measure 576.4 feet (175.7 meters) long by 524.9 feet (160 m) wide. Similar islands appeared offshore of Pakistan after earthquakes in 1945 and 2001.
its a wonderful of nature, maybe the first we can see islands rise from below earth after quake..for me its my first time..but if you question why Nasa sattelite take same spot before and after the island rise..i dont know..

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I marveled about this the day it happened myself Cheesy, so I know exactly how you feel. I was excited and couldn't figure out why everyone didn't think it was kind of a big deal!

I have never seen anything like it and thank you for the beautiful pics! I am wondering how long it will take someone to try and erect a building or some sort of shanty on it and claim it as their own.

edit on 10/9/2013 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Kangaruex4Ewe
I marveled about this the day it happened myself Chessy, so I know exactly how you feel. I was excited and couldn't figure out why everyone didn't think it was kind of a big deal!

I have never seen anything like it and thank you for the beautiful pics! I am wondering how long it will take someone to try and erect a building or some sort of shanty on it and claim it as their own.

Tq Mr.Kangaruex, No one will make shanty sir its a mud..and still active earthquake region there.

it there any, its their own goverment..

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Maybe someone will go out there and plant celery. I bet it would be fertile soil for plants that are salt tolerant. I saw this the day after it happened, it is nice to find updates on these kinds of things though. Most times after the initial buzz wears off we never hear about what happens.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

See? I am used to living in the U.S. Cheesy because even in mud, SOMEBODY would have erected something on that pile of wet dirt and claimed it as their own before the tide went back out that evening.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Am I the only one who feels this rings conspiracy theory on all levels?

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Kangaruex4Ewe
I am wondering how long it will take someone to try and erect a building or some sort of shanty on it and claim it as their own.

How long before MacD's get on there?

Cheesy, you should swim out there and claim it for ATS members

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   

honested3

What kind of conspiracy sir?

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   

VoidHawk

Kangaruex4Ewe
I am wondering how long it will take someone to try and erect a building or some sort of shanty on it and claim it as their own.

How long before MacD's get on there?

Cheesy, you should swim out there and claim it for ATS members

yeah i will doit, i will wait at Toba supervolcano,when 11.5 Mag Earthquake strike Sumatran and the volcano blow..i will fly to there

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   

cheesy

honested3

What kind of conspiracy sir?

I thought you would never ask! Maybe it was a man made island filled with WMDs, maybe it was an underground UFO coming to surface, or maybe it is an "earth zit" that will pop and be full of answers man.

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 02:16 AM
link   
I was thinking interplanetary bio-organic WMD. Add to any planet that supports life, resulting chain reaction alters atmosphere to appropriate levels and re-arranges the DNA of all life forms that come in contact with the infected body of water to something better suited to the coming environmental changes.

Obviously.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

The first picture you posted looks much different than the others. Do you have a link for the article where I may perhaps search for an explanation for this picture? Or do you happen to know why it looks different?

See, the others show it like a normal island, a small, roundish, oval shaped mound.

But in the first picture looks like the island is connected to the mainland. Is that how it looks when the tide is low? It has its own little walkway that appears twice a day? Sounds Harry Potter-esque. We should hold special wizard meetings out there...

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by 3n19m470

The first pic is taken high up so it is showing a large part of the land mass, the island is the small dot of land to the left of the pic.

new topics

top topics

join