It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Way cool YouTube URL tricks.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I found a cool site that shows some cool tricks you can do while posting YouTube vids. Not sure if they’ll all work here but some of them might help folks to view some vids that aren’t available in their country.

The Six Best YouTube URL Tricks

Repeat All or Part of a Video
We all have that one song that we just can't hear enough of. If you need to playback a video automatically, you can add the word "repeater" after "youtube" in the URL to open it in an external site that will play it back as often as you let it. You can also set it to play back just part of the video.

Unfortunately, I don’t think this one would work the way ATS is set up but, it can be used at home to listen to that song you just can’t get enough of until it makes you sick to your stomach.

Bypass Regional Restrictions
Licensing for videos is complicated enough already. If you're looking to get to a video that has some form of restriction on it, change the format of the video link from this:
watch?v=IEIWdEDFlQY
To this:
/v/IEIWdEDFlQY
The downside is the video will play filling the entire window. The upside is it will play.

A small price to pay to see those vids that are verboten on your particular country.

Jump to a Specific Time

If you need to point someone to a certain portion of a video, you can always right click on the player and select "Copy video URL at current time." However, if you need to be especially specific, you can modify the end variable that follows "t=X" where X is the number of seconds into the video that you want the player to start at. So the good part isn't here:
youtube.com/watch?v=9R6Ibz31DtE
It's here:
youtube.com/watch?v=9R6Ibz31DtE#t=114

Lets see if it horks here on ATS:

Nope, it figures.

Disable Related Videos

It doesn't happen often, but sometimes the related videos that are shown at the end of a video can be unsavory. Or, perhaps you just find them irritating. If you want to disable the array of options that show up when the clip's done playing, add "?rel=0" to the end of the URL in the embed code. Changing this part:
"//www.youtube.com/embed/T0-2lzA7_Cg"
To look like this:
"//www.youtube.com/embed/T0-2lzA7_Cg?rel=0"

Lets see if this one works.

It looks like none of them works out on the ATS format. Well that sucks but, maybe you can use them somewhere else on the web.

There are also tips on how to download any video and how to skip the Wadsworth constant to get to the good parts of any video. You can check them out at the link.

Lifehacker.com

If anyone can figure out how to make these tricks work with the ATS BB code system, please let us know.

edit on 10/9/13 by FortAnthem because:

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Thanks for the youtube tips.

The one I have been using for a while is for playing back audio in 44.1khz 16-bit stereo which sometimes isn't the default playback mode.

&fmt=18

Sorry the playback location ones don't seem to work in embedded links!

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Great thread. Although ATS' YouTube code won't work with those URL tricks, you can always just post the direct link, or use the [ url] [ /url] tags to post the links with the tricks embedded.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   

_BoneZ_

Although ATS' YouTube code won't work with those URL tricks, you can always just post the direct link, or use the [ url] [ /url] tags to post the links with the tricks embedded.

That is one way to go but, its just not the same as having the vid directly embedded in the thread.

I know I don't bother to click on a lot of external links with my super-slow internet service provider.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I didn't know some of these. I'll have to try the region one, as that infuriates me.. global internet, but "nyah nyah you aint where I am so nyah nyah!" makes me steal whatever they have anyway, even if I don't really care.. I hate that.. lol

But yeah, they won't work here as all that is used here is the video ID. none of the parameters would be passed onto the function that grabs the video.

I've seen other forums where you can create customized bbcode to allow whatever you want to be embedded.. I can't see why it can't be done, but as it is..

I mean, even a script to simply scan the ID code for the part required so if people post the netire URL as we keep seeing time and time again, it still works.

And a popput container.. CSS is good.. I like to be able to keep reading a thread if a video is playing, and had a script previously to grab the video and pop it out into a container. I could have added my own bits to allow any parameters to be embedded, so where there is a will there is a way.

It might end up one day being that ATS is more a back end, with a basic front end, and we're all using our own scripts to control it.. haha.. for those of us who like to tinker...

and god knows I need to keep my brain ticking or I start to get duuuhhhahaurr..

Oo

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
i played the second video and then scrolled down to read the rest of the posts.
Then i got to Fort Anthems post and his/her dancing cat avatar goes perfectly with the song!
its actually kinda freaky how well they match up
Try it

EDIT: ha ha ha its brilliant
edit on 10/10/13 by SecretKnowledge because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join