It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Multiple ATS Accounts

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   

SloAnPainful
What if a your wife is also a member of ATS and is online the same time as you? Would this also violate the ToS?

-SAP-

That's a fair question, you could also have a house full of 5 or 6 renters that all have accounts. And they shouldn't be banned simply because of the same IP address.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

What if a your wife is also a member of ATS and is online the same time as you? Would this also violate the ToS?

Only if she is starring your posts, SAP... that's clearly nepotism.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

That's a negative. Lolz!

-SAP-

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

Haha. As they say, nepotism is relative, just so long as it's kept in the family.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I'd rather you hate or love the real me as I am then the me I could purport myself to be

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Zarniwoop

Only if she is starring your posts, SAP... that's clearly nepotism.

It actually does not always let me star my mans posts. I just assumed that was because we share the same IP even though we have separate accounts.

BTW I use the same criteria for wanting to star his posts as I would anyone else post.
I also noticed he neglected to try and star one of my posts earlier today, don't worry, he'll pay for it later

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

he neglected to try and star one of my posts earlier today, don't worry, he'll pay for it later

And that is exactly why I never want my wife to be on ATS.

I sometimes get paranoid that if I leave my computer unlocked and on ATS that she will post something to the effect that I am a nice guy and such... arggh!

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

That's a fair question, you could also have a house full of 5 or 6 renters that all have accounts. And they shouldn't be banned simply because of the same IP address.

Well, maybe not because they have the same IP address. But on housing codes and general principles, absolutely!

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   

There is no issue with that. We have several husband and wife members of ATS.

The issue is defined in the T&C as tenth pointed out.

Sock puppets aren't specifically against the T&C but when you use them to disrupt or otherwise troll, then the problems start and one, or both of the accounts will usually be banned.

If you suspect that someone is using sock puppets/multiple accounts to be a PITA, send an alert to staff and we will look into it.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Is it fairly safe to log on from Sbuck or the local pizzeria? I mean, what are the odds,, it's not like abtose is that popular.... is it?

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by gardener

Yes you are perfectly safe to do that apart from the risk to your wallet and taste buds from drinking Starbucks.

Even if we did think something suspect was happening we always try and give people a chance to explain and enter into dialogue about it.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

They can see IP addresses ... and they can see if people have multiple accounts.
Just send an alert to them in mod-land and tell them the names that you think
are the same person .... name of accounts ... they'll check it.

There are ways of getting around that and cheating their security

There are a few members I suspect because they are raving lunatics
edit on 10-10-2013 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

i had accounts that i could no longer use and asked MODS to delete them which they did thumbs up.

i might add i never used them at the same time or in anyway against TandCs
edit on 10/10/2013 by maryhinge because: edited TandCs

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
What If a banned member makes a new account?

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   

boymonkey74
What If a banned member makes a new account?

I believe it depends on character...or, did the banned member catch a clue and buck-up the next time around..?

I know for a fact they give 2nd chances...case by case IMO.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Basically you can't have more than one active account working in ways that would gain benefits outside of a single acct. I've retired an account from long ago.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   
i think we should have one for drunken posting
no more waking up and thinking noooo what have i been up too.

but it is obvious people come back with new accounts

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I just think the whole idea is extremely gauche.

Besides . . . some of us couldn't hide our personalities if we had 12 layers of black cloaks and an invisibility cloak on the outside of all that.

LOL.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   

speculativeoptimist
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Thank you, but can you guys tell, so that you can do something about it, or is it more of an honor thing?
It seems like if you put "We can determine if one has multiple accounts" in the TC, it would be better prevented maybe.
edit on 9-10-2013 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

In the past i have traced some users who i believed to be duplicate accounts, and when i had enough evidence, or at least i thought i had, i asked a moderator to check for their IP and login times, at least one time i remember it resulting in someone being banned, if the IPs and login times all match up, then they will ban all those accounts, they do have the capabilities of doing that, but be sure you're not doing this just because you suspect of someone you dislike, it may turn back on you, just ask a moderator to check, if nothing comes out of it, then there's nothing else you can do.
edit on 8-12-2013 by Kaifan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Klassified
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

You can't go by ip alone. Some households may have multiple accounts, because more than one member lives there.

That's not how an ip works, you may have more than one account, but the outter/external ip will be the same, you have internal ips on your home, but only a single ip faces the world, what you have is an internal network, all modems have a single connection to the outside, with a single ip.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join