It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No effort in the threads

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Why is ATS full of these 2 line threads, copy/paste, no link or OP comments.
Put some effort in your threads! I cklick these threads to see some interesting stuff and all I get is poo.

You know what, yeah, f**k it, I am gonna start my own right here and now.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Nettlas

You took the words right out of my mouth (or fingers) and saved me posting , standards are slipping and it's a worrying trend .

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
So do something about it and write a decent thread!

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
So we follow your lead and make them 3 line threads?

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Nettlas

It bugs the crap out of me as well. I saw that thread earlier today, and was going to post pretty much the same thing you did.

I've had posts removed recently for trying to call out those types of threads. There are still many quality threads being made, b t they are getting drowned out by the static of all the BS that is being allowed to pass through.

I know the mods are over worked, but a line has to be drawn somewhere.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I reckon it's because of the stars and flags people get/crave. I don't see the point in them really.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

Usually when school start back up the quality of threads improve. Didn't happen this year, so perhaps the dumbing down of the general population is showing up on ATS.

But what would you rather have; a concise well written 2 lines or a post like this one that goes on and on with no real thought or just basically a stream of consciousness, words strung together with no real purpose except to hear myself type and try and forget how nasty my coffee tastes and how I really need to clean my monitor because it's filthy with god only knows what. Little spots of shmutz [is shmutz a word] that have been there for before I even joined ATS.

At least I break up this rant with paragraphs so you aren't overwhelmed with a massive load of text that will just get ignored anyway. In my experience; as peoples attention span gets shortened we will see more and more "quick and dirty" type of thread/post that have no real merit and are just time killers like this post.

see what I mean?

God help me, I can't stop!!!
I went out across the street yesterday to throw some rocks at imaginary creatures and damn if they didn't manifest themselves as small brown shoes. WTF is that all about I asked myself not really expecting an answer but before the words were out of my mouth; in my mind I heard a voice that said..."someone should make a thread about short threads with little or no content"

and that watchitburn is what I call synchronicity.

S&F

edit on 9-10-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Rather see a couple of lines..than a mega paragraph with zero punctuations...

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by skyblueworld

That ^hen said

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Nettlas

Its kind of ironic that your OP is so short

But this is something that really annoys me to, just rubbish threads that get loads of attention because "OMG HAVE YOU GUYS SEEN THIS ROCK".

I have written some threads that have taken ages to make, i can think of one thread i spent months on, the problem is two fold. Firstly members sometimes just cant be bothered reading through a huge thread or see that it has strongly challenged one of their strong held believes so they just ignore it and hope it just winds up on the third page of "recent posts" where no one can ever find it. And the second big problem is a lack of incentive to write such threads, seriously what is the point in anyone writing up a amazing thread on ATS? the chances are the thread will not get any attention or it will turn into a flame war. I personally think that there should be some kind of forum for excellent threads that have had lots of work put into them selected by the Mod's, that could perhaps go some way to fixing this problem.

there are some members who write really amazing threads that do get the attention they deserve but for most of us, there is not point in it.

But yeah I agree with you.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   

OtherSideOfTheCoin
I personally think that there should be some kind of forum for excellent threads that have had lots of work put into them selected by the Mod's, that could perhaps go some way to fixing this problem.

there are some members who write really amazing threads that do get the attention they deserve but for most of us, there is not point in it.

Blimey! Not often I find myself in agreement with you! But yea, on this I do.
But I'm not sure how it would work.
I dont like the idea that someone gets to choose what gets sent to your "excellent threads forum". That leaves it open to shouts of - Bias!!!
It needs some sort of fixed rule, but I dont know how that would work. Its a shame because there's several threads I'd like to work on, but as you said, often there just seems no point.

ETA:
Maybe a set of forums that one can only post in when one has enough flags and no history of hoax etc and been a member for at least a year, and a minimal word count?

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

I have to agree with VoidHawk. Your idea has excellent merit and I hope the mods pay close attention to it. Nice one!

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by SecretKnowledge

Yeah well that is why I wrote "You know what, yeah, f**k it, I am gonna start my own right here and now."

Just to do one myself. You see it now? people stared your comment for pointing out that my thread was short, but they don´t get the irony of my thread with this line "You know what, yeah, f**k it, I am gonna start my own right here and now."

As I am full aware of the irony in creating a short OP by nagging on short threads, that was my point, to make you feel how f**ing stupid they are, the threads I mean.

Obviously though, ppl see that you have many stars and just star you because you have many stars allready. I don´t even think that many ppl really read my "WHOOOOOLE LOOOONG OP" because if they did, they would have understood my meaning with creating a short thread (You know what, yeah, f**k it, I am gonna start my own right here and now.)

And then they would have understood that your comment was weird, because you where pointing out something that I obviously was well aware of from the start, THE verry reason I did this Short thread. Bye.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Nettlas

Yeah well that is why I wrote "You know what, yeah, f**k it, I am gonna start my own right here and now."

Just to do one myself. You see it now? people stared your comment for pointing out that my thread was short, but they don´t get the irony of my thread with this line "You know what, yeah, f**k it, I am gonna start my own right here and now."

As I am full aware of the irony in creating a short OP by nagging on short threads, that was my point, to make you feel how f**ing stupid they are, the threads I mean.

Obviously though, ppl see that you have many stars and just star you because you have many stars allready. I don´t even think that many ppl really read my "WHOOOOOLE LOOOONG OP" because if they did, they would have understood my meaning with creating a short thread (You know what, yeah, f**k it, I am gonna start my own right here and now.)

And then they would have understood that your comment was weird, because you where pointing out something that I obviously was well aware of from the start, THE verry reason I did this Short thread. Bye.

First of all people didnt star my post because i have many stars already. They did so because they agree with my comment or found it funny. I certainly don't believe that the more stars you have then the more people will star your posts. I would say its for the reasons ive stated above.
Secondly, i for one did get the irony you were going for with a minimal thread. i actually found it funny myself. Well done for pointing it out

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Hehe, okey then
It is all well.

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   

VoidHawk
So do something about it and write a decent thread!

That's exactly what it comes down to. And if someone doesn't wanna write a decent thread they can - at the very least - post some quality research to a thread that they enjoy talking about...

But good research takes more than 5 minutes and it can take 5 hours or 5 days, sometimes, or longer.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I've pretty much decided to stop doing any threads (posting research) on ATS for this very reason. I've noticed that there is simply no demand for quality anyway! (Not to imply that my threads were interesting to begin with, but I've noticed this trend among many posters and thread-makers.)

I've noticed that any time in the last few months I've shared some research, information, ideas etc. they get completely ignored and fall to the wayside.

I'm dismayed at the lack of replies to some of mine and others' threads. There's just no discussion. If there's no discussion, there's no reason to put in any effort.

BUT

If I post a youtube video or write a snippet about toilets or something..cha-ching!

Really, I just don't think enough members care about learning something new...unless it's in the form of 2 lines and a youtube video that's under 90 seconds.

ATS is practically a run-of-the-mill social media site in conspiracy theorists' clothing. What do you expect?

edit on 13-10-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Nettlas

i agree 100 % with your statement some people just do not try enough yet we have excellent writers on ats who must spend hours putting together threads .

i hate writing that is why i do not do threads [dyslexicccc]

but thumbs up to all the great posters here on ats

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Nettlas
Why is ATS full of these 2 line threads, copy/paste, no link or OP comments.
Put some effort in your threads! I cklick these threads to see some interesting stuff and all I get is poo.

You know what, yeah, f**k it, I am gonna start my own right here and now.

Thankfully, ATS remains a glorious bastion of logic and reason, the last cadre of order on the chaos of the internet.

One of the last sites where people may speak freely and share ideas without the ugly beast of censorship rearing it's head.

The last site unaffected by the scourge of shills and trolls.

top topics

join