It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Thoughts On UK Press Regulations.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
So the Government want to start regulating the Press. That ends 300 years of a Free Press, I'm surprised more people ain't in uproar about this. Under new laws scandals like the MP's expenses will never come to light. The government are more important to the way we live our lives than are mothers. If cameron wipes with his left hand I wanna know about it!

Personally I believe that Governmental regulation on our Free Press to be a direct attack on Free Speech, which in turn is a repealing of the Magna Carta, the building block for all civil liberties. Not only in the UK but around the world.

To me this is the start of a British dictatorship, first it will be press, then sites like this, then the man on the street!

ALS

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
If there ever were matters, where I am truly divided in my emotions - it's this issue...

One the one hand, certain elements, possibly the majority of the most exposed press and reporting that we get fed - behave appallingly.
And the competitive nature of 24/7 breaking news and website hits, clicks, social commentary and other content success metrics, only fuel this fire!
Over exaggerating facts, shocking headlines and disturbing graphic images are at an all time high and only benefit the marketing sponsors and pay-per-click advertisers that litter the pages.

On the other hand, there is absolutely NO WAY I would trust this bunch of posh, controlling, self-serving shills we have 'representing us' in ALL PARTIES / or anybody associated with them, deciding what I know about what's going on in the world!

Talk about rocks and hard places...and the #hole in between them!

Tough choice, very tough.
edit on 9-10-2013 by Chesterpudlian because: Grammar

edit on 9-10-2013 by Chesterpudlian because: ...

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   

ALOSTSOUL

Personally I believe that Governmental regulation on our Free Press to be a direct attack on Free Speech, which in turn is a repealing of the Magna Carta, the building block for all civil liberties. Not only in the UK but around the world.

To me this is the start of a British dictatorship, first it will be press, then sites like this, then the man on the street!

ALS

They're on their way on this side of the pond as well. The "journalist shield" bill defining who is a real journalist or not is simply suppression of free speech.

The US and UK are in a race to the bottom for civil liberties.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
The UK press has long been "self-regulated" my understanding is that proposals for government regulation would effectively put this into law and thus force papers to comply. Additionally the D-Notice system, although "voluntary", one could argue is a form of government regulation (well censoring) of the press.

I think really though in this age of 24 hour media it has to be regulated, but only in the right way it has to been done right. I think its totally wrong that the media can publish whatever they want about anyone with out some kind of regulation and the whole phone-tapping scandal had not helped matters.

So I agree with press regulation in principle however I guess i will hold out on a final view on the subject until i get a chance to have a look at what this regulation will involve, its its dont right it could be the best thing to have ever happened to the UK press. Unfortunately I think they are bound to screw it up.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Chesterpudlian
One the one hand, certain elements, possibly the majority of the most exposed press and reporting that we get fed - behave appallingly.
And the competitive nature of 24/7 breaking news and website hits, clicks, social commentary and other content success metrics, only fuel this fire!
Over exaggerating facts, shocking headlines and disturbing graphic images are at an all time high and only benefit the marketing sponsors and pay-per-click advertisers that litter the pages.

I completely understand and agree with this, I couldn't care less what happens to the main stream media as it hasn't been free for at least a decade. It is this that angers me;

They said the charter, which defined news publishers as newspapers, magazines or websites containing news-related material, could be amended only if there was a two-thirds majority in both houses of Parliament.

ATS falls under this category, does it not?

ALS

edit on 9-10-2013 by ALOSTSOUL because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ALOSTSOUL

Tell this man that The Press should not be regulated:-

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk...

And there are hundreds more just like him.

Press Regulations has been far to long in coming.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
star and flag for the op, I was surprised it took all day for someone to post something on it here.

The UK gov regulating the press, I read an article on the telegraph earlier: www.telegraph.co.uk...

The title says it all . . . Regulation will be imposed on press as politicians reject self regulation.

Considering the revelations over the last few years regarding some really shocking behavior by our politicians, you know the cash-for-questions, buying 'duck houses' on expenses bla bla bla I'm sure they would absolutely love to do this.

Perhaps someone with a good memory could make a list of all the things we wouldn't know about politicians if it wasn't for freedom of the press
That would sure get some readership.

Well they've well and truly killed privacy, freedom of speech was bound to go next. Soon they will be releasing their little red book on how we are allowed to be.

I'm not sure if there is anyone on ATS that survived the Nazi's in ww2 out there, but please tell us, is it worse now?

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   

I suppose it depends.

If they want to pass a set of Journalistic Integrity Laws that make things like lying in the press illegal and the protection of whistle blowers and sources in general, I think that would be a good thing.

It would solidify the freedom of the press if was a charter of rights if you know what I mean.

I doubt that's what they want though.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   

ATS does fall under that, absolutely.

Which would be hideous, because I, you and countless others see outlets like ATS as the voice of reason.

We see mainstream 'News' outlets as just another resource, not to be relied on and within seconds - we are onto alternative platforms to find out what's really going on!

I think more and more people are more alert to this, are sick and tired of being spoon fed and think the whole Leverson enquiry will amount to a very shady arrangement between our dear leaders and the press 'firm'.

Anger is probably the right emotion to have on such a key issue and concern as to where it may lead is also of great concern to me, too.
Personally, I am already concerned about what info our national insurance numbers hold, how our social networking and internet activity, voting and general movement is monitored and manipulated and have been for a Long time.
Our grand fathers never had this kind of measurement and it will only be worse for our kids...should WE allow it to happen!

( I think this thread is going to be great and open up some real debate, nice one!)
edit on 9-10-2013 by Chesterpudlian because: Added relevant concerns

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
So, our jewish government wants to regulate our jewish press.

Why should i care, i'm english.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   

edit on 9-10-2013 by Chesterpudlian because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

active topics

join