It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Being christian while rejecting important OT figures?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   

sk0rpi0n
If Christians don't believe their own bible, then it means Christianity is on the verge of collapse.
GOOD.

You start thread after thread after thread, claiming that you know Christianity better than the Christians while trying to tear it apart. Your agenda is transparent. Fortunately not many people take you seriously.

You have FAILED TO ADDRESS THE FACTS. Archeology, history, science, geology have all proven that the MYTHS, FABLES, and FOLKLORE of the Old Testament and QURAN are FAKE.

sk0rpi0n
Clearly, you don't even know the New Testament half of the Bible. And I don't waste my time on the scripturally illiterate.

Running away again? Typical. Instead of addressing the issues, you just resort to your usual retreat of attempts at insults. Comical.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by BELIEVERpriest

No genius. Blindly clinging to faith in something that is proven wrong .... that's not 'faith', that's just ignorance.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Sadly, we are witnessing the 'great falling away' as described by Paul.

On the contrary. HAPPILY we are witnessing the 'great falling away of ignorance, fear, and bronze age nonsense' as "real."

If Christianity falls, guess what? ISLAM FALLS WITH HER, since it's whole premise is based on the same God and 'revelations' given to random ordinary people. If there's no "Jesus Messiah," what will the Muslims do? Wring their hands...
and hope the Quran isn't true also. Otherwise, yikes.

edit on 10/11/13 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   

FlyersFan

BELIEVERpriest
Blind faith in these grossely over simplified (man made) theories reflects a lack of imagination.

Blind faith in these myths, fables, folklores and stories stolen from other cultures, all of which have been debunked and proven wrong, reflects a severe lack of intelligence and it gives Christians the reputation of being dolts. Simple fact .... most of the Old Testament did not happen. That's the TRUTH. If you wish to cling to your faith that the Old Testament is literal .. that's your choice. You are wrong. But go ahead and believe it.

That's a weak argument. What about the walking on water, the healings/miricles, the ressurection of Christ, the events at pentacost?

Ancient myths parallel the Bible so closely because there actually was an antediluvian civilization of angel hybrids, a flood, exodus, etc. They borrowed from God. God didnt borrow from pagans.

You failed to address those issues.

The NT says that if Jesus wasnt ressurected, then our faith in Him is in vain. How is that lessrageous than the OT???

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
THE TOPIC QUESTION WAS -

sk0rpi0n
Can one really call himself a 'christian' if he/she dismisses key Biblical characters such as Adam, Melchizedek and Noah as myths...while speaking ill of the prophets Abraham and Moses?

THE ANSWER HAS BEEN GIVEN ... ABSOLUTELY.

If you believe that Jesus the son of God died on the cross for your sins as the Christ, and you do your best to follow Jesus command of love God and love neighbor ... then you are a Christian. THAT IS IT.

I'm sure you will refuse to accept that fact. The agenda of this thread was so damn obvious and it's not the answer you want to get. But the fact is ... most Christians do NOT take the Old Testament literally. It's PROVEN WRONG and it has NOTHING to do with salvation or the belief in Jesus.

DEAL WITH IT.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   

BELIEVERpriest
You failed to address those issues.

The question was about the OLD TESTAMENT and if a Christian can be a Christian while dismissing the myths and folklore of the Old Testament. The answer is a very simple YES. MOST of Christianity recognizes that the Old Testament myths of Adam and Eve ... of Noahs Ark ... of Jonah and the Whale ... etc ... are NOT literal. They are unnecessary for salvation and the belief in Jesus.

If YOU want to believe that the world is literally 6,000 years old ... or you want to believe the scientific impossibility that the entire worlds population came from three reproducing couples 6,000 years ago on a boat of animals .. then go ahead and knock yourself out. But the fact is, most of Christianity recognizes the myths, folklore and allegories for what they are, and it in no way takes away from them being Christian.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   

wildtimes
If Christianity falls, guess what? ISLAM FALLS WITH HER,

Absolutely. Skorpion is cheering the 'death of christianity' but he fails to realize that his whole religion is based on it.

Muhammad is like a school kid who didn't do his homework. He copied off other kids papers but in doing so he just copied crap. Crap from crap.

And the fact that chunks of the Old Testament have been proven to be myth and folklore PROVE that Muhammad didn't get any revelations from God but instead copied the bunk from other religions.

If one Abrahamic religion falls because of ancient stories being proven false ... they all fall.

At least Christianity has the New Testament which is capable of standing on it's own.

But Judaism and Islam are both completely dependent upon the fables of Noahs Ark, and Adam and Eve, and Moses leading the Jews out of Egypt, etc etc. Science has proven them false. So the bulk of their religious stories are false.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   

backcase
I don't think the OT can be rejected by a Christian, unless that christian is closed minded.

edit on 123131p://333 by backcase because: (no reason given)

Just stop right there..

Why continue?

edit on 11-10-2013 by HanzHenry because: bb

edit on 11-10-2013 by HanzHenry because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Right, I answered those questions. But I specifically asked you an NT question. The relationship between Islam and Christianity is off topic, and you commented on that, but you wont answer my question????

That not very nice.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

BELIEVERpriest
you wont answer my question????

You had no question. You gave an opinion of this -

BELIEVERpriest Ancient myths parallel the Bible so closely because there actually was an antediluvian civilization of angel hybrids, a flood, exodus, etc. They borrowed from God. God didnt borrow from pagans.

I have absolutely no idea what any of that means. And it probably doesn't matter.

The FACT is that the myths and folklores of the Old Testament have been proven false.
The FACT is that there is no need to believe in them at all in order to be Christian.
The FACT is that the OP has a 'history' and started this thread expecting a pile of people to
jump on and scream that a person HAS to believe in the Old Testament in order to be a
Christian, but the OP stepped in poop because the FACT is that the only thing needed to be
a Christian is to believe that Jesus, the Son of God, came to save us from our sins and that
we are supposed to try to love God and our neighbor. So the OP stomped off, refusing to
acknowledge the facts presented (as usual).

THAT IS IT.

Again, if YOU want to put the added burden upon yourself of taking the Old Testament literally,
then go right ahead. As the information shows that I provided, it's not necessary to do that in
order to be a Christian. but if it makes you happy .. then have at it .. knock yourself out.
Enjoy the added burden of forcing yourself to believe in that which is proven wrong in order
to really feel like a Christian. I really don't care ...

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Ok. Well, you havnt presented any facts, just opinion.

But I want to know if you believe in the miracles, healings, and ressurection of Jesus Christ. What about the events at pentacost? Are all these just myth too?

Am I asking too much of you?

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   

BELIEVERpriest
you havnt presented any facts, just opinion.

Dead wrong. I gave link after link showing how the Old Testament stories are bunk.
Go back and read the thread.

But I want to know if you believe in the miracles, healings, and ressurection of Jesus Christ
I believe them. They have not been disproven. The documentation from Jesus time is MUCH more reliable than the Old Testament stories. It's a whole different time period and whole different ability level of the people doing the writing.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Christians reject most of the old testament laws so why wouldn`t they reject some of the figures in the old testament also.
The thing that makes christianity so appealing to people is that you are allowed to pick and chose which parts of the bible you want to believe and follow.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Tardacus

And when certain parts are DISPROVEN .... then common sense says not to believe the story.
Noahs ark has been disproven by DNA science.
The earth being 6000 years old has been disproven.
Adam and Eve have been disproven.
Moses and the Jews were never slaves in Egypt.
I gave the links and information showing these facts.

So to continue to believe in those stories out of blind religious faith is insane.

The stories about Jesus haven't been disproven. So that's a whole different story
then the Old Testament that has mostly been disproven.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   

The old testament says that if a man rapes a woman the woman has to marry the man.
the old testament says that a woman caught in adultery must be dragged to the city gate and stoned to death.
christians don`t believe in those laws anymore but they still believe in the 10 commandments which are also laws from the old testament.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Im sorry, but we just dont know science well enough to debunk any ancient claim. Radioactive decay is only a constant under a stable and controlled environment. The universe isnt always stable.

The bible doesnt say that the earth is 6000 years old, only that man has been fallen for 6121 years.

Mitocondrial dna does indicate that Eve existed, and big bang is a crackpot theory.

There arent enough constants to draw any conclusion, only relative constants.

If Jesus walked on water, then the OT is historically accurate.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   

If Jesus walked on water, then the OT is historically accurate.

And --
you are going to prove he did? Right now???
Please, lay it on us.

The proof. PLEASE. We're floundering here...

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

I cant prove anything. Im just pointing out how hypocritical it is to acknowledge the NT miracles, yet dismiss the OT events. If youre not a Christian, then none of this applies to you.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   

I cant prove anything.
Could you at least describe your thought process that was behind your statement that Jesus walking on water proves the accuracy of the Old Testament?

Jesus' actions were written about while the eye witnesses were still living.
The same cannot be said about Abraham or Moses.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

Im just saying, for a believer in Jesus, its stupid to acknowledge the supernatural events surrounding Him, but turn around and say that God was just kidding about the OT.

Jesus said that the same way Jonas spent 3 days and nights in the belly of the whale, so will the Son of Man spend 3 days and nights in the belly of the earth (before being ressurected).

Yeah, its ok to say that a dead man rose from the grave after 3 days, but living 3 days in a whale is just rediculous.

Jesus acknowledged the OT as truth, not pure alligory. If you believe His words and believe He walked on water, then the OT is true.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join