It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vegetable Garden,

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Sorry to be looking for an outsider forum, delete if you need to.
I am from Australia and I need a forum for vegetable growing looking for something very active if anyone knows of anything will be very helpful!

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 05:14 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Why would you start a second thread on the same subject.

P

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

defiantly on a different topic

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 05:46 AM
link   
What location. I'm up in the northern rivers NSW. Just starting my patch.

Bally

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by bally001

I am on the south coast, we have a few patches still to build got lots happening really good fun to do!

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by kangajack

South Coast.....Nice location, good climate. My old stomping grounds. Grew almost everything on a block I had down that way. Westerlies were a Bstd this time of year.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   

where abouts on the south coast was it?

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 04:13 AM
link   

kangajack

where abouts on the south coast was it?

Near Wandandian mate.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 05:04 AM
link   

oh yeah fair enough, a lot more inland them us

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   
If you're a beginner vegetable gardener, here are basics on vegetable garden planning: site selection, plot size, which vegetables to grow, and other gardening tips.

Remember this: It's better to be proud of a small garden than to be frustrated by a big one!

One of the common errors for beginners is planting too much too soon and way more than anybody could eat or want. Unless you want to have zucchini taking up residence in your attic, plan carefully. Start small.
The Very BasicsVegetable Garden

First, here are some very basic concepts on topics you'll want to explore further as you become a vegetable gardener extraordinaire:

Do you have enough sun exposure? Vegetables love the sun. They need at least 6 hours of full sun every day, and preferably 8.
Know your soil. Most soil can be enriched with compost and be fine for planting, but some soil needs more help. Vegetables must have good, loamy, well-drained soil. Check with your local nursery or local cooperative extension office about free soil test kits so that you can assess your soil type. See our article on preparing soil for planting.

Placement is everything. Avoid planting too near a tree, which will steal nutrients and shade the garden. In addition, a garden too close to the house will help to discourage wild animals from nibbling away your potential harvest.

Decide between tilling and a raised bed. If you have poor soil or a bad back, a raised bed built with non pressure-treated wood offers many benefits. See more about raised garden beds and how to build them.

Vegetables need lots of water, at least 1 inch of water a week. See more about when to water vegetables.
You'll need some basic planting tools. These are the essentials: spade, garden fork, soaking hose, hoe, hand weeder, and wheelbarrow (or bucket) for moving around mulch or soil. It's worth paying a bit extra for quality tools.
Study those seed catalogs and order early.
Check your frost dates. Find first and last frost dates in your area and be alert to your local conditions.

Vegetable Garden Planning for Beginners
Deciding How Big

A good-size beginner vegetable garden is about 16x10 feet and features crops that are easy to grow. A plot this size, planted as suggested below, can feed a family of four for one summer, with a little extra for canning and freezing (or giving away).

Make your garden 11 rows wide, with each row 10 feet long. The rows should run north and south to take full advantage of the sun.

Vegetables that may yield more than one crop per season are beans, beets, carrots, cabbage, kohlrabi, lettuce, radishes, rutabagas, spinach, and turnips.
Suggested Plants for 11 Rows

The vegetables suggested below are common, productive plants but you'll also want to contract your local cooperative extension to determine what plants grow best in your local area. Think about what you like to eat as well as what's difficult to find in a grocery store or farmers' market.

(Note: Link from each vegetable to a free planting and growing guide.)

Tomatoes—5 plants staked
Zucchini squash—4 plants
Peppers—6 plants
Cabbage
Bush beans
Lettuce, leaf and/or Bibb
Beets
Carrots
Chard
Radishes
Marigolds to discourage rabbits!

(Note: If this garden is too large for your needs, you do not have to plant all 11 rows, and you can also make the rows shorter. You can choose the veggies that you'd like to grow!)
When to Plant?

If you are planting seeds, consult our Best Planting Dates for Seeds chart. It's customized to your frost dates as well as Moon-favorable dates.
If you're putting plants in the ground from a nursery or transplanting from a greenhouse, see our Best Planting Dates for Transplants (by region).

Now Design Your Best Garden Ever!

Plan your perfect vegetable garden. Use our online Garden Planner to draw out your vegetable beds. Click here to try the Garden Planner for free!

The best way to plan a successful veggie garden is to look at what similar gardeners have planned and see what works for them.Foods4betterhealth

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by wilsongrace1111

Thats excellent WG. I'm doing very similar on my new block at present. I'm also keeping discarded vegies for their seed. Planted tomatoes, potatoes and pumpkins this way. Others that I've put in are runner beans, zuchinni, passionfruit and squash. We have a growers market nearby each second Sunday so I can take excess their if it pans out that way.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
If you are looking for great results read up on biointensive and try it. Biointensive

new topics

top topics

join