It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Pros & Cons of the Use of GMO Insulin

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by dollukka

Thanks for that post about the vaccine. It does sound promising. I will take whatever cure I can get! That's why I hope these companies all race to get a safe cure to the masses.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by dollukka

I read more about that vaccine trial. I wonder if it could lead to a reduction in injected/pumped insulin over time? Increase the basal production of insulin? That would be just fine. I just hope disabling part of the immune system wouldn't lead to other health problems. If they can narrow in on exactly the immune cell that causes the diabetes without hurting the rest of the immune system, then I'll take it.
edit on 10/9/2013 by InFriNiTee because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I'm sure a lot of diabetics here know about Dr. Denise Faustman who is working with Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical University. She devised a way to cure mice of induced diabetes given to them with the administration of streptozotocin (a drug that causes diabetes, and can mimic type I or type II diabetes).

If you do not know about it you can find out about her research at:

Faustman Lab

I just got an update in my email yesterday that said that they are ramping up for phase II trials on humans. Dr. Faustman found out a number of years ago that administration of the BCG vaccine repeatedly to diabetic mice would reverse the illness. She also proved that in type I diabetics, they still have BETA cells. The problem is no insulin is produced by those beta cells. That's what makes me think that "autoimmune" diabetes is just a corruption of the pathway that senses glucose/sugar, and causes the pancreas normally to produce insulin...

All of this doesn't mean it will work in humans, and a lot of people have talked about that. I'm just glad that Dr. Faustman has gone this far with it. Let's hope she's the first to get a cure to the masses (if it works in humans).
edit on 10/11/2013 by InFriNiTee because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 12:50 AM
link   
All of this brings me to another point. I am glad to see that there is competition in the market to cure diabetes. This competition is the only thing that makes me think that it WILL be cured in my lifetime.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Here's a link to a post on Tudiabetes.org that talks about the levels of m-cresol and other chemical additives in common gmo insulins:

Tudiabetes.org-Least Toxic Insulin

APIDRA is a sterile, aqueous, clear, and colorless solution. Each milliliter of APIDRA contains 100 units (3.49 mg) insulin glulisine, 3.15 mg metacresol, 6 mg tromethamine, 5 mg sodium chloride, 0.01 mg polysorbate 20, and water for injection. APIDRA has a pH of approximately 7.3. The pH is adjusted by addition of aqueous solutions of hydrochloric acid and/or sodium hydroxide.

LANTUS consists of insulin glargine dissolved in a clear aqueous fluid. Each milliliter of LANTUS (insulin glargine injection) contains 100 IU (3.6378 mg) insulin glargine. Inactive ingredients for the 10 mL vial are 30 mcg zinc, 2.7 mg m-cresol, 20 mg glycerol 85%, 20 mcg polysorbate 20, and water for injection.

Each milliliter of LEVEMIR 10 mL Vial contains the inactive ingredients 65.4 mcg zinc, 2.06 mg m-cresol, 30.0 mg mannitol, 1.80 mg phenol, 0.89 mg disodium phosphate dihydrate, 1.17 mg sodium chloride, and water for injection

NovoLog Mix 70/30 is a uniform, white, sterile suspension that contains insulin aspart (B28 asp regular human insulin analog) 100 Units/mL. Inactive ingredients for the 10 mL vial are mannitol 36.4 mg/mL, phenol 1.50 mg/mL, metacresol 1.72 mg/mL, zinc 19.6 µg/mL, disodium hydrogen phosphate dihydrate 1.25 mg/mL, sodium chloride 0.58 mg/mL, and protamine sulfate 0.32 mg/mL.

Each milliliter of Humalog injection contains insulin lispro 100 Units, 16 mg glycerin, 1.88 mg dibasic sodium phosphate, 3.15 mg Metacresol, zinc oxide content adjusted to provide 0.0197 mg zinc ion, trace amounts of phenol, and water for injection. Humulin-N: Each mL contains 100 units of NPH insulin. Nonmedicinal ingredients: dibasic sodium phosphate, glycerol, m-cresol, phenol, protamine sulfate and zinc. May contain: dimethicone, hydrochloric acid and sodium hydroxide.

Humulin-R: Each mL contains 100 units of Regular insulin. Nonmedicinal ingredients: glycerol and m-cresol. May contain: dimethicone, hydrochloric acid and sodium hydroxide.

Hypurin porcine isophane (fast acting) contains Protamine sulphate Zinc chloride m-Cresol Phenol Sodium phosphate Glycerol Water for injections hypourin porcine neutral (longer action) contains m-Cresol Phenol Sodium phosphate Glycerol Water for injections

There are 10 milliliters to every bottle of insulin, or 1000 international units (units) to 1 bottle. Each of the outlined insulins is per milliliter, so the amounts listed PER BOTTLE are 10 times the amount. Example: Humalog has 31,5 milligrams of m-cresol per bottle. Doesn't sound like much right? Well that's what gives insulin the sickening familiar band-aid smell! Also, the other listed ingredients are often toxic-specifically the phenols. Here is a link to Wikipedia on polyphenols, the group this falls into:

The diverse structures of phenolic compounds prohibit broad statements about their specific health effects. Further, many purported health claims for specific polyphenol-enriched foods remain unproven.

Many of the phytoestrogens are dietary polyphenols with measurable affinities to estrogen receptors, and positive or negative health effects on humans and livestock. Compared with the effects of polyphenols in vitro, the effects in vivo, although the subject of ongoing research, are limited and vague.

The reasons for this are:

1) the absence of validated in vivo biomarkers, especially for inflammation or carcinogenesis;
2) long-term studies failing to demonstrate effects with a mechanism of action, specificity or efficacy; and
3) invalid applications of high, unphysiological test concentrations in the in vitro studies, which are subsequently irrelevant for the design of in vivo experiments. In rats, polyphenols absorbed in the small intestine may be bound in protein-polyphenol complexes modified by intestinal microflora enzymes, allowing derivative compounds formed by ring-fission to be better absorbed.

A review of studies on the bioavailability of polyphenols published in 2010 found that "definitive conclusions on bioavailability of most polyphenols are difficult to obtain and further studies are necessary."[52]

If you read the potential health effects of polyphenols you will find that if you are a guy, you should want to avoid estrogens at all cost! Also, it's indicated that largely the bioavailablility is untested. That should make a person feel safe!

I realize that there could be bacteria that could get into the bottles and start growing in the insulin without SOME form of preservative. I just think that they could use a phenol derived from coconut oil or somtheing more natural than the petroleum-based additives they use. Even small amounts of other essential oils would be far superior in the health aspects to the user. The cost for clove bud oil or an extract of coconut would be very comparable in price, and would likely be less toxic than the preservatives they use. Even clove bud oil exposure is toxic in LARGE quantities, but I don't think it is as toxic as the artifical chemicals they use.
edit on 10/11/2013 by InFriNiTee because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I never thought GMO Insulin could be that much risk, Thanks InFriNiTee

top topics

<< 1   >>

join