It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could the US Government shut down be tied to reviewing classified clearances?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Now when you go back to the Navy Yard shooting and to the Edward Snowden background checks being done by the same company. And that company has been under investigation for a log time now.

articles.washingtonpost.com...

USIS, the Falls Church government contractor that handled the background check for National Security Agency leaker Edward Snowden, said Thursday that it also vetted Navy Yard shooter Aaron Alexis for his ­secret-level clearance in 2007.

The company, which is under criminal investigation over whether it misled the government about the thoroughness of its background checks, said earlier this week that it had not handled Alexis’s case.

Edward Snowdens background check was not done right.

online.wsj.com...

The most recent background check of former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden was so inadequate that too few people were interviewed and potential concerns weren't pursued, according to a federal review following his leak of some of the nation's most closely guarded secrets.

The background checkers failed to verify Mr. Snowden's account of a past security violation and his work for the Central Intelligence Agency, they didn't thoroughly probe an apparent trip to India that he had failed to report, and they didn't get significant information from anyone who knew him beyond his mother and girlfriend, according to the review.

Aaron Alexis background check was not done right.

www.mediaite.com...

The mystery over how Navy Yard Shooter Aaron Alexis obtained access to the military base despite a history of arrests got a bit clearer on Monday, as federal investigators revealed that Alexis had failed to disclose a prior gun incident and multiple debts when applying for a security clearance with the Navy.

The incident in question was a parking dispute with some local construction workers that led to Alexis shooting out the tires of a car parked before his house. During a 2007 background check to join the Navy, Alexis had answered “no” to a question inquiring about prior arrests.

In addition, a background report given to the Navy by the Office of Personnel Management did not include reference to Alexis’ use of a gun in the incident, simply stating that Alexis had “deflated” the tires. Officials don’t yet know by whom the omissions were made—by the U.S. Investigative Services, who investigated Alexis, or by the OPM itself in compiling the information—but did note that Seattle police declined to share information with investigators, forcing them to rely on court documents that did not detail the arrest.

Then you have a government review which quietly took place to check on the background checks being done. And they find they are not reliable.

www.wjla.com...

The Pentagon knows there are problems. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel has ordered a sweeping review of all military security and employee screening programs. "Something went wrong," he said.
Separately, Congress has asked the inspector general at the U.S. Office of Personnel Management to investigate how a clearance was awarded to Aaron Alexis, the Navy IT contractor who killed 12 people Monday inside a Washington Navy Yard building before he was shot to death by authorities. Just weeks ago, the Navy had warned employees under its new "insider threat" program that all personnel were responsible for reporting suspicious activity that could lead to terrorism, espionage or "kinetic actions" - a military euphemism for violence.
"The clearance piece of this is one, I think, we very clearly have to take another look at," said Gen. Martin Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

And then the government shut down. All nonessential are sent home. And it is even being done to the covert operatives in the CIA. Then after a review they allow a limited number to come back. Could that be because there background checks were reviewed and they have been determined OK?

www.channelnewsasia.com...

WASHINGTON: The CIA will begin calling for the return of employees central to its core missions on Wednesday amid the ongoing US shutdown, its director said.

Those asked to return will include individuals necessary for "foreign intelligence collection, all-source analysis, covert action, and counterintelligence," according to a statement released Tuesday by CIA Director John Brennan.

"Keeping our staffing at the dramatically reduced levels of the past week would pose a threat to the safety of human life and the protection of property," he said.

The number of employees expected to return was not mentioned and managers are still determining who will be recalled under the plan.

Additionally, the guidance does not "guarantee that we will be able to pay our employees during the hiatus," the statement said.

In a similar move, the Pentagon on Saturday announced it would begin recalling most of its furloughed employees.

Could this all be a dog and pony show to hide there screw up with Classified Clearances? They had to redo the background checks of the work force and wanted a cover story?

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Good theory , nice work and very interesting.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Pinkorchid

It would be hard to say oh we screwed up every body go home until we figure out who should be here. The USIS does 67% of the background checks. How do you send home that many people until you review there files? Government shut down and a dog and pony show.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Yeah I've thought about this but not in terms of the shut down. I feel these two events will enable tougher legislation on gov contractors. The second event was necessary to "sell the trend". Likely leading to some sort of extra protections in court and taxes IMO. I have seen several companies recently who have split in two; one consumer and one gov contractor. I believe this will be a requirement.

I also believe this is happening with CIA fronts as well as normal contractors. I stumbled into this while looking for work and futurism research. Watch the pieces and then see what they are building, I believe all of this is coming to an end. You will be part of them or not, and they will control these companies practices. Less transparency and more control is the NWO!

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   
When you go into Sterling Phillips background you will find he has a past himself. He runs USIS.

www.linkedin.com...

When he sold Analex Corporation to QinetiQ North America he left because he was replaced with the CEO of QinetiQ North America. But from that time on QinetiQ North America was plagued with hacking and spying.

en.wikipedia.org...

Cyber security[edit]
Chinese hackers are understood to have compromised research at QinetiQ in North America.[34] However the Pentagon still entrusts QinetiQ with sensitive defense technology.[35]
It was reported that between 2007 and 2010, QinetiQ’s North American business was the subject of a cyber-attack. At the time of the incidents, the company said it disclosed all of its breaches to the responsible government agencies and these were resolved to their satisfaction.[36] Cyber security continues to be an issue with a recent Pentagon report saying that Government agencies had been victims of attacks.[37]

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Its probably part of the puzzle but they didn't need to shut it down to hire companies to conduct new research. This is much bigger than background checks, IMO. After Snowden this was done internally for all members with Top Secret clearances. Out of 450,000 contractors they aren't all inside the mainframe, only thousands have those types of access and after Snowden... even less.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   
The government shut down because there is no more money. lol It's called: BROKE! They ain't worried, tho'. They got their dividends proper. We're the ones that will be left with serious dilemmas.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
this is the first thread about the 'shutdown' which i could present my theory in ...
and it be relevent & appropos

It is my contention that the 'bean counters' in the Øbama administration were actually planning this shutdown for months ---even a Year or more ... !!!

Lets consider ALL the logically inappropriate buying ....by a LOT of Federal Agencies...
of strange things like 2,700 Metropolitan Tanks that ride on undeflateable tires

or lets consider the Billions of rounds of Ammo~~~~ hollow point ammo that cannot be used by the Military !!!

AND a bunch of other Police-Militarization equipment that might only be used against
Insurrectionist Patriots
OR against Terrorist Cells-
or groups of Drug Cartel rebels-
or Anarchists-
or AQ & radical Muslims attacking America
or other organized groups that want to fight the Federal Government

I suggest that the Millions...B illions...Trillions that were spent on these un-needed items were spent to effectively break-the-government-bank... and cause this current shutdown of government and the OCT 17th Default condition of the Federal Government by the expired raising-of-the-Debt-Limit

i suggest that the Øbama Administration deliberately spent down the government funds on crappola things

so that we would be in this current mess / crisis....

Øbama had hoped that the Congress would have caved-in already... and handed him control of the Nations purse-strings by now....
Is there any less suspicion to not quickly Impeach this guy right now ?

to my thinking----its a open-&-shut- case ...Øbama orchestrated the present government funding crisis with the deliberate idiotic spending over the last year plus to waste all the money on nonessential things so he could (basically) take the place of both Houses of Congress

Now... all those well intention4ed and logical Conspiracy Theory threads that talked about creating a Martial Law event or Response were not just a bunch of bunk

Those Theories just missed the mark by a little bit.... the seizing of ALL government was goning to happen by a stealth bankrupting of all government...and Øbama & his minions used the dissonance of billions of rounds of hollow-point ammo & 2,700 APCs equiped with crowd control weapons to be bought by most every goernment Agency there is----to effectively bankrupt the allocated funds with which to operate the government with.....

without all those stupid and assinine purchases--- the government services to the people could have gone on until at least the next election cycle---which Øbama did not want to happen

Think about it... and Ping My Post if I make more sense than the BS from MSM
edit on 9-10-2013 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

Hey NSA or CIA ...or affiliate.... i can work at home- (no relocation possible) ...a 3-5 year contract can be signed ---IF you need me as an analyst
edit on 9-10-2013 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Very clever , indeed you do make a lot of sense, well thought out and good observations, worth thinking about and looking into.

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 05:27 AM
link   
i believe its martial law

new topics

top topics

join