It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MasterCard joining push for fingerprint identification.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
MasterCard joining push for fingerprint ID standard.

SAN FRANCISCO — MasterCard is joining the FIDO Alliance, signaling that the payment network is getting interested in using fingerprints and other biometric data to identify people for online payments.

MasterCard will be the first major payment network to join FIDO.

The Alliance is developing an open industry standard for biometric data such as fingerprints to be used for identification online.

Why? Who cares? We dont want to be "identified" when we're online, ok?

The goal is to replace clunky passwords and take friction out of logging on and purchasing using mobile devices.

"Clunky" passwords? "Friction" logging and purchasing via mobile devices?

Come on. Cant you guys do better than that? Weak.

How about we all start using cash, how about that?

Or start a rival company and "network" based on the privacy of its users.

edit on 8-10-2013 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

I don't think using fingerprints is safe since we leave them everywhere.

edit on 8-10-2013 by danielsil18 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by danielsil18

Well said, danielsil18. I'll dump my MC if they start asking for fprints-
Nexo

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Greetings,

I've no need for nor do I even want a credit card...MC or otherwise.

-Amitaba-
edit on 8-10-2013 by Eryiedes because: Typo

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Well, I'll be the one to say it... the "mark of the beast" is coming fast. It's almost upon us, this is just one step closer.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   

I always recommend sperm samples, they are hard to falsify and the receiver has to have a certain amount of interest in the transaction.

Sound fair?

Hmm, it sounds funnier when I say it to the Bank of America teller.

edit on 8-10-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Then "hackers" will be found with a collection of thumbs in the fridge. Instead of steeling your ID they'll "hack" your thumbs off, hardy-har...

"Thumb hacking", a new genre.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   
All these things are good if you do not care about security. It's that simple.

If you wanna log into windows, use your thumb.. groovy. Or a retina scan. Awesome.

but logging into a bank? Up yours biometrics...

The only secure way to remain secure is to use something that is inside your brain. Simple. Because the only way then to get it is to crack open your skull with words and scoop out that info.. and you need to be alive and awake and there and present for that...

Finger prints ID you specifically, after the fact. Or to imply you were somewhere, but we've seen that fail more and more recently.

But I do despair at people who think that someone is snooping on your finger prints.. oh joy, they can do anything now they have a finegr print.. ugh.

what I really think this is, is someone trying hard to come up with a way to use a pretty neat technology. They built it, but they're damned if they can work out a good way to use it.

And it is neat, if you stop being scared, and stop thinking it will be secure. I know I am anything but secure with my passwords.. but then I don't actually have anything worth taking or anything at all really. apart from some forums and a few quid each fortnight. There is absolutely no single person on this planet who could or would impersonate me in any believable manner for so little. So my fingers are safe.

So no, not for your credit card. That's as stupid as trusting Basil from Nigeria, or the king of Sudan with a billion dollars in a bank just for you. And no, no one is using your fruit product to steal your ID. YOU are a bee in a hive. You are not that important on your own.

but hey if it lets me log onto ATS easier, man I'd use it. Or if I can log onto youtube easier.. do it!

Those clunky passwords are always getting stuck on the sides of those log in boxes dont you know...

edit on 8-10-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join