It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Confession Found: 'We Invented Jesus Christ'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+24 more 
posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
uk.prweb.com...

Ran across this article today. Thoughts? And what are the ramifications if it is true? Or is this just sloppy research or something to discredit an entire religion?
edit on Wed Oct 16 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: Starting a New Thread?...Look Here FirstAboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count. Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events, or important information from other sitesplease post one or two paragraphs, a link to the entire story, AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item, as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ltheghost

At this point in time, I will reserve judgment. I will, however, keep a very close eye on the proceedings.

+31 more 
posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Wouldn't surprise me if it's true.

If it's proven true I don't think it will change much.

There are people that think the Earth is 6,000 years old! Those same people will dismiss this and give an excuse like "Satan put that there to misguide us" or maybe they will say "God put that there to test the true Christians because the end of times is coming".

edit on 8-10-2013 by danielsil18 because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   

I wouldn't be surprised. Like most authors of fictitious literature their characters are purely invented to drive the experience. The bible is a work of fiction so I would assume that Jesus was invented as well. I do believe in a supreme being, just not in the way that a work of fiction depicts him in.

+51 more 
posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
C'mon man.

Jesus is the most documented person in History.

You can question his story.....but he certainly wasn't made up.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

Only certain parts of his life were documented. Wasn't there some book that claimed that Jesus killed someone as a teenager?

+92 more 
posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   

whyamIhere
C'mon man.

Jesus THE MOST documented person in History?

Who taught you this lie?

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   

How do you know that so sure? Did you know him personally?

The human race was built on lies and deception. The same for religion. Reminds me of the movie Babylon with Vin Diesel when they impregnated Mary? and say it was God who did it. All to deceive their followers....

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   

This thread is going to be long and contentious unless it get's trashed and that wouldn't surprise me at all.

+30 more 
posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   

That is quite laughable...... Most documented person in history? Maybe if you count each bible ever printed as a different account of events......

+64 more 
posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Here we go again with Joseph Atwill's nonsense. I have spent far too much time looking into his claims and debunking them on ATS, and I have no interest in doing so again. What I have discovered is concrete proof that his claims are completely bogus, but no amount of evidence was good enough for his adherents, and they basically just plugged their ears and screamed as loud as they could no matter which facts were presented to them that effectively dismantled their claims.

Atwill is a snake oil salesman and nothing more. His goal is to sell books, not discuss the truth. All of his claims fall apart under the light of history (history which anyone can research if they are so inclined). The simple fact of the matter is that history indicates that Christ was a real person, and that people willingly went to their deaths in defence of their belief in Him. Nothing Atwill is claiming is "new". All of his claims have already been discussed in his books as well as on threads here at ATS, and I see nothing in the article that indicates he has any "new evidence". Just more of his tired claims that the romans invented Christianity because he says so.

History, logic, and reason all stand opposed to Joseph Atwill and his claims, and the only way it is possible to agree with his conclusions is to abandon all three in favor of Atwill's version of events. This is the textbook definition of confirmation bias, because a person has to want Jesus to be a fable to conclude that Atwill is anything other than a joke. He has basically completely reinvented history to suit his personal agenda. People capable of critical thinking would dismiss him outright because of this, but because he attacks religion people buy his books and parrot his nonsense. If a scientist did this, he'd be out of work and in need of a career change.

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
so it worked so good that they made up the books of peter, paul, james and john. just to seal it up hunh?
then there was the gnostic books, all written to fool the jews, yea right.
edit on 8-10-2013 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

+16 more 
posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

The simple fact of the matter is that history indicates that Christ was a real person

Where is this fact? Apart from the bible of course.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   

DeadSeraph

Here we go again with Joseph Atwill's nonsense. I have spent far too much time looking into his claims and debunking them on ATS, and I have no interest in doing so again. What I have discovered is concrete proof that his claims are completely bogus, but no amount of evidence was good enough for his adherents, and they basically just plugged their ears and screamed as loud as they could no matter which facts were presented to them that effectively dismantled their claims.

Atwill is a snake oil salesman and nothing more. His goal is to sell books, not discuss the truth. All of his claims fall apart under the light of history (history which anyone can research if they are so inclined). The simple fact of the matter is that history indicates that Christ was a real person, and that people willingly went to their deaths in defence of their belief in Him. Nothing Atwill is claiming is "new". All of his claims have already been discussed in his books as well as on threads here at ATS, and I see nothing in the article that indicates he has any "new evidence". Just more of his tired claims that the romans invented Christianity because he says so.

History, logic, and reason all stand opposed to Joseph Atwill and his claims, and the only way it is possible to agree with his conclusions is to abandon all three in favor of Atwill's version of events. This is the textbook definition of confirmation bias, because a person has to want Jesus to be a fable to conclude that Atwill is anything other than a joke. He has basically completely reinvented history to suit his personal agenda. People capable of critical thinking would dismiss him outright because of this, but because he attacks religion people buy his books and parrot his nonsense. If a scientist did this, he'd be out of work and in need of a career change.

This is the first I ever heard of the guy. LOL, I'm not big into this stuff but this did catch my eye a little. I don't post often here, but I figured someone on here would know something about him and what he was talking about.

+8 more 
posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Unmitigated balderdash.

On a par with the claims by the UFO critters to have invented Jesus.

Former investigative journalist and former agnostic (or atheist, I forget) Lee Strobel's

THE CASE FOR THE REAL JESUS

can trash this new theory handily with half his brain and half his evidence tied behind his back.

The Case for the Real Jesus: A Journalist Investigates Current Attacks on the Identity of Christ Paperback

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381280814&sr=8-1&keywords=Lee+Strobel+The+Case+For+the+Re al+Jesus

Wishful thinking on the part of those in rebellion against Almighty God is NOT the same as truth.

Wishful thinking on the part of those who wish to do their own thing . . . regardless of the implications or the consequences . . . is not the same thing as truth.

Wishful thinking pretending that one can plant cacti and harvest peaches . . . is not the same thing as truth.

Wishful thinking pretending that one can be one's own sufficient God . . . is not the same thing as reality or truth.

Slicker deceptions than this one are abroad in the land and worse looming in the wings . . . this one is absurd to the max.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Well wow. Um, my goodness.

What an interesting turn.

Probably won't affect my beliefs, but wow.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Awww man don't trash my thread...lol this is probably one of the rare threads I have ever made. LOL I just wanted to put this news out there and see what people had to say. It's all new to me! I'm a newbie...sort of.

+29 more 
posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by danielsil18

Josephus, Tacitus, Suetonius, to name 3 Roman historians. The Talmud even acknowledges that Jesus existed. If he is a myth, why wouldn't Jews simply dismiss him as such, instead of writing about why he was a heretic? The history is there for you to research if you want.
edit on 8-10-2013 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   

whyamIhere
C'mon man.

while I do believe Jesus existed. I also know he is incredibly undocumented...
ghere is so little information about him. and it ALL comes from the bible. a sourse that on its own, can't really be trusted to cite history.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
So the Romans made Jesus up so the people would "turn the other cheek" and "love thy enemy". He can see this through patters because Jesus was also everywhere Roman soldiers were? I know he must have more than this. Not even close to convincing.

Lets see - Christianity took a long time to unfold - it was not widely popular in its day. Since it took such a long time to catch on it doesn't seem like such an effective means for subduing the people. Also - the Romans are the greedy bad guys. They are evil - partly responsible for his death; could have been overturned but a Roman chose not to. How does that build love for the Romans?

I have heard Christian friends say satan is cunning. I have also been told that satan absolutely hates the name of Jesus being spoken. Makes sense to me - look at what that name conjures up - images of religious freaky people handing out pamphlets, or whatever other stereotypes people associate with the name.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join