Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Pentagon freezes death benefits for fallen soldiers' families

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   
The SGLI (Service Members Group Life Insurance) costs us money. $20-30 per soldier per month. They don't GIVE that to us.

1) $20 X 1million solders = 20 Million a month (where is that money going?)

2) Each soldier killed (any circumstance not deemed self inflicted) is 450K

***** THERE IS A LOT OF MONEY THAT IS GOING TO SOMEONE*******

Social security and the SGLI were paid for and now they are being threatened. Why not cut back on the things that are used without "skin in the game"?

They raided and pilfered the Social Security funds and left IOU's. They most likely pilfered the SGLI funds and left nothing, because NOBODY looks at them. 3% of the population has served in the military. Far less than 1% of the military will collect SGLI benefits (their NOK of course).

Detroit wanted to file bankruptcy and the judge wouldn't allow it. Why? Detroit has retirees that are entitled to what they worked for. Military retirees have their retirement taken and nobody bats an eye.

It's a dangerous game they are playing. Today's military is "kinder and gentler" than it was 20 years ago. The last thing the .GOV wants to do is piss off that group of individuals. A vast majority of retirees (military) derive their income from two sources. DoD retirement and Social Security. The streets will be red in a month if this isn't fixed.

Maybe that's what they are hoping for though

+EDIT = Prudential Insurance Company has had the SGLI contract for 34 years. The rate for the insurance is 6.5 cents per $1000 of coverage. so, in actuality the are getting $28 per soldier per month. Why is this being cut due to the shut down?
edit on 8-10-2013 by 200Plus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

This is deplorable.

As it is, I thought it was nasty to close the PX for the military families.

www.bloomberg.com...

Barack Obama has no shame. He has stooped so low now.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by 200Plus

But just a few weeks ago, they had enough money to attack Syria. They always have enough money for their military industrial complex, but never enough for the American people. Cut the SNAP benefits this next month for every single family in America, threaten to take away social security, pay guards more money than before the shut down to keep the American people out of them, enough to send aid to foreign countries, and so on.

I've come to the conclusion that our president hates his own country and Americans, and has absolutely no respect for the military or it's veterans. I know that sounds pretty dramatic, but he has not shown me otherwise. I'm waiting for him to prove me wrong.
edit on 9-10-2013 by Tatanka because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   

ABNARTY
I saw this on CNN this morning. If it is accurate, I struggle for words.

Obscene? Disgusting? Nauseating?

What did Kennedy say about a nation revealing itself by the men it remembers or neglects to? (I paraphrase of course)

First the WWII memorial closed now the families of the fallen cut-off from simply going to Dover to welcome home their loved one in a coffin???

To think those in Congress and the President are still getting paid, protected by security details, chauffeured, fed, etc. all on dollars denied to those families?

That is profoundly depressing...

It makes me frighteningly hostile...

I feel as if the goal is to not only create hostility, but to sink the morale of the American people. By making people sink into poverty, go jobless, and live on SNAP, you take away one's dignity. When your dignity has been taken, you feel like giving up and once powerlessness sets in, it's easier to control a population. JMHO.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Bring this back up to the top.

This is beyond an outrage!!

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Tatanka

This is deplorable.

www.bloomberg.com...

Tatanka

This is deplorable.

www.bloomberg.com...

PX's weren't closed, they are self supporting as are military golf courses so they stayed open. Commissaries were closed, since they get govt money for operations. That National Enquirer-like headline made it sound like Commissaries are the only place to get food for us troops..good grief.

Shop around a bit, you'll find similar or lower prices. I only go to Commissaries for the meat, they have the better deal normally and for specialty or ethnic items.

Congress is working on restoring the death benefits. It's one of those "unintended consequences" that they talk about.

The Fisher House Foundation, Army Emergency Relief and the Navy Marine Corps Relief Society are providing funds for the grieving families, until the benefits are restored.

www.stripes.com...

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
The House passed a bill to help ?

Now let's see what Obama tells the Senate to do.....

H J RES 91 2/3 YEA-AND-NAY 9-Oct-2013 2:33 PM

QUESTION: On Motion to Suspend the Rules and Pass

BILL TITLE:
Making continuing appropriations for death gratuities and related survivor benefits for survivors of deceased military service members of the Department of Defense for fiscal year 2014, and for other purposes

H J RES 91

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join