It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US adults are dumber than the average human

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by openminded2011

Aphasia has no bearing on a person's intelligence. I have similar issues with aphasia that crop up now and then, especially when I'm tired, due to a minor stroke about 17 years ago. Now, this isn't apparent on ATS because I get a chance to review or edit everything I type but if you look at those edits, you'll see me making joking remarks about needing more coffee. Slow boot in the morning = more aphasia. I may speak gibberish at times when it's really bad. I may forget what a table is called or may even type out some of the most random words, but I challenge you to call me an idiot or dumb.

There's been a lot of research done on how accents and speech issues affect a listener's perception of the speaker's intelligence. It's a common misconception that fluency of speech relates to intelligence. My mother and I took my daughter and her born-deaf friend, whose speech is reasonably affected, out to lunch one day. When the deaf girl got up to go to the bathroom, my mother queried me as to whether there was some sort of mental defect going on there because the girl wasn't always responsive and spoke so strangely. I informed her that the girl was deaf and even with that information, my mother still questioned whether or not she wasn't a little bit retarded (she's actually a rather bright little girl). Perfect example of this listener bias.

I did not vote for Bush. I was very much against him ever becoming president. I find him abhorrent because of what he did with the Patriot Act, the wars, Guatanamo Bay, and more. However, I don't think that he was an idiot simply because he had difficulty speaking at times. A monster? Yep. An idiot? No.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

You just point out anyone who calls you "dumb" or an "idiot"....we'll disappear 'em for ya!
(Just kidding!)
I love reading your posts and you're quickly becoming a favorite of mine here.

-Amitaba-

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Eryiedes

You just point out anyone who calls you "dumb" or an "idiot"....we'll disappear 'em for ya!
(Just kidding!)
I love reading your posts and you're quickly becoming a favorite of mine here.

-Amitaba-

lol, luckily for me (and perhaps my town, neighbors and tourists to my town), when I'm having a lot of difficulties with speech, I'm not allowed to drive anywhere. Kind of works to shield me from being viewed as an idiot. However, if I'm gaming and my speech gums up, I do get people jumping all over it to mock me but those people don't know me. The ones who do hold me up way too freaking high on a pedestal, lol.

Thanks.
It's nice to hear. A lot of times, I feel like the mutant robot that has infested ATS.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by openminded2011

Never assume you are smarter than the "enemy".
Of COURSE Bush didn't come up with the plan.
Of COURSE he had help.
These facts are not in dispute.
Believing he's an idiot however is EXACTLY what you are MEANT to think and they have expended a great deal of time and energy into making you believe THAT very thing.
His role was that of the fall guy and playing a "dim-witted hayseed".
This is exactly what he was groomed for from the start.
Bottom line...he screwed over the world and he got away with it.
He so successfully got away with it that no one is paying attention to the upcoming 2016 election (I mean "selection") in which you'll be able to choose ANOTHER Bush for president.
These are not the actions of a stupid person.
They are the actions of a gifted & talented puppet master.
But you are free to think as you like.

-Amitaba-

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   

It was not his difficulty speaking that I link to his stupidity. It was his actions and spectacular clueless behavior on a multitude of issues.

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Between the fluoride, the diets containing mostly sugar and nothing but, and being lied to constantly by everything and everyone, well, yeah. You get stupid. Add in that for some strange reason, only a small percentage of the population has any curiosity about anything and the rest are waiting for a zombie to return and scoop them up...

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   

openminded2011

It was not his difficulty speaking that I link to his stupidity. It was his actions and spectacular clueless behavior on a multitude of issues.

Interestingly enough though, his speaking ability was the commonly cited thing in regards to his intelligence (and lack thereof). And for a really dumb guy, he sure managed to convince our country into doing a whole lot of really awful things.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   

TDawgRex

Allow me to generalize what I see in this article. Poverty breeds more of the same and the wealthy take care of their own. And a good education plays a role in breaking that cycle.

What say you ATS denizens?

i think your wrong.. or rather the article is wrong. They are only looking at silly test scores not the situation in the country for unemployment. They don't factor the corruption, the government involvement in business and lots of other things.

You throw those same people into the US work economy and see how much the education helps them.. verry little i suspect. hack we have really smart people with multiple college degrees that cannot get jobs.

That article can go stuff itself.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Dumber in what sense than Euro's and Asian's? That we didn't let people like Hitler and Tojo get away with slaughtering the Euros and the Asian's? Yeah, the Euro' and the Asian's always forget that. We're dumber because we built a space program and they just hung around and mooched off it (LIKE NATO and SEATO?)
Yes, we are dumber in that respect. We built nuclear weapons and used them on the Asian's, so that makes us dumb. It would have been SO MUCH BETTER if we had just invaded Japan with the Marines (You can't count on the ARMY, they don't get the job done) and killed all the little japan kids and womwn and old men whcih is basically all they had left. I think it would have been a great photo op watching marines bayoneting 7 yr old japan kids! totally awesome. But yet, we're dumber. You mean dumber like helping japan out after the General Electric designed Nucler Accident? Yeah, that was super dumb. I understand it could get wiped out again by a typhoon, so we won't make the same "dumb" mistake again, we'll send our SUPERB NAVY over there to pick up the US citizens, and the japan people can ask North Korea and China and Russia to gove them a hand. That should work just fine. Of course, we're dumb. We do have the BEST thermonuclear weapons on the Universe, and the dumbest idea I can come up with is NUKE the Euro's and the Asians, that would even up the smart-ass playing filed wouldn't it
Of course, we have to make sure France get's a triple dose of nukes, since they stab the US in the back every chance the can, and the Italians too! (Thanks for tipping the Libyans to Operation El Dorado Canyon!) Yeah, we sure are STUPID, but we're also VERY ANGRY and WE KICK ASS which Saudi Arabia is going to find out real soon!
Have a great day from a stupid us person with excellent thermonuclear weapons and delivery systems !
HAve a great day. and remember, with these nukes, duck and cover is just a good way of not to have to watch your loved ones being vaporized! Pretty "dumb" huh?

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by CarbonBase

dude.

Youre not helping.

lol

edit on 10 17 2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join