It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US adults are dumber than the average human

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   

In our dreams, we have limitless resources and the people yield themselves with perfect docility to our molding hands. The present education conventions fade from their minds, and unhampered by tradition, we work our own good will upon a grateful and responsive rural folk. We shall not try to make these people or any of their children into philosophers or men of learning, or men of science. We have not to raise up from among them authors, editors, poets or men of letters. We shall not search for embryo great artists, painters, musicians nor lawyers, doctors, preachers, politicians, statesmen, of whom we have an ample supply…The task we set before ourselves is very simple as well as a very beautiful one, to train these people as we find them to a perfectly ideal life just where they are. So we will organize our children and teach them to do in a perfect way the things their fathers and mothers are doing in an imperfect way, in the homes, in the shops and on the farm

Rockefeller General education Board, one of the single most influential organization for the formation of modern public education.

THIS is the end results of the above philosophy that educates every student in the US public education system.

The wealthy have waged war against the education of the poor since the advent of public education, How can we fix the "system" When its very DNA from the start was corrupt?

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by tadaman

Denial is not a river in Aegypt.

just so you know.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Metaphysique
reply to post by tadaman

Denial is not a river in Aegypt.

just so you know.

Atlantis is the capital of Georgia.

Kidding. "G" is the capital of Georgia.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Metaphysique

Its not what you know that matters, its what you learn after you have known it all that counts.

and

More is done by he that does not know yet is willing than by he that knows yet is unwilling.

Just so you see.

edit on 10 8 2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Greetings,

Wasn't it Albert Einstein who said:

"Education is what's left after you've forgotten everything you learned in school."

-Amitaba-

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   

tadaman
reply to post by TDawgRex

Think about this logically. The UK isn't full of dumb people either. You don't get the standing the UK has by being full of dumb people.

I challenge you to come to Essex and then make that statement. In fact, if you want to save yourself a journey, watch 'The Only Way is Essex'. Your opinion will soon change.

Article 1 for the prosecution:

www.youtube.com...
edit on 8-10-2013 by Scorchio because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
It´s a relief to hear that i´m not stupid finnish blonde

it´s thruth like the article said that studying here never ends untill the retirement days. For the companies its important that their employees are up to date with their information and knowledge as it gives a good imago for the company as well.

Reading books are still one of the most popular hobbies in here and we have a lot of public libaries too, pretty much in every town and to the remote areas library buses visits every week.

What comes to food waste, it was funny as according this same research, a news tabloid here felt that we are somewhat "last century" as there were least food waste here than for example in Sweden. We don´t do much "whole sale" type of shopping, we go to grocery stores 2 to 3 times a week, we don´t have milk or pre processed food museums in our fridges. It´s also very common that we still mostly home cook our meals and those of us who live in own houses have also our own little gardens.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by dollukka

sounds like every small town along the hudson.........

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Im quite pleased with these results. Let them make headlines screaming how ignorant or stupid or uneducated we are.

The enemy underestimating our capabilities is our tactical advantage.

So sayeth Advantage

**cue supervillain music**

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
All kidding aside, while education can be measured and quantified to a degree. . .

Wisdom can't.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   

beezzer
All kidding aside, while education can be measured and quantified to a degree. . .

Wisdom can't.

... and doubly all kidding aside, with all of these studies "they've" published over the decades ( and some of us would have been in prime groups to test) .. why have none of us ever been in one or know anyone who has participated??

How I think these tests are really administered... funny way of saying you will see the results you wish to see. Its outcome many times is already determined within the test subject pool you choose.

edit on 8-10-2013 by Advantage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Well, when you survey the poverty and the average middle american can't take the test because we are WORKING! Then you get taboo statistics like this...

Not to say that I haven't ran into these types of American's whether at work, in society itself or.... Well... now... Jersey Shore.... But that's stereo typing.... What am I saying.... I must be a genius among the sheeple by these test standards.... Yet middle class... Wait there is no more middle class... Oh well... America is screwed.... Might as well join the rest of the sheeple and help burn this place down.... VIVA LA STUPIDBELLION!!!

/endsarcasm....

And one more thing... This "Hashtag" thing.... #

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   

I grew up poor and I don't consider myself "dumb".

Then again, no one usually does. Either way the most important parts of childhood development in my opinion are as follows:

-Breastfeeding(This also is in same vein as second point)
-Developing attachment to caretaker especially in first five years of life
-Not being neglected, sexually, mentally, or physically abused
-Diet high on fat and protein and low on carbohydrates
-Lots of top down social interaction, again especially in first five years(top-down meaning social interaction from adults not just other children of same age).

There are others but to me those are some of the points that make the biggest difference on future intelligence and mental well-being.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Scorchio

Oh good God and we let these people be role models to kids.....I weep for the world.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Just give me an Obama phone and some more anti depressants and pain pills for my back. I will be fine. I could care less if other's are smarter at least I get to stay home, get unemployment and then some more disability, play video games, get free medical and EBT cards to trade for alcohol ad cigs. My life is good. Leave me alone. Thank you.
edit on 8-10-2013 by GoldenVoyager because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   

This test is not supposed to be an easy one. The website reports that avg. score was 49% and college professors average about 55%.

There are 33 Questions. Click Below:
www.isi.org...

I would think many of our members at ATS would do much better than the posted prior results. I screwed up on one question and still got 81.??% a while back.... I do not consider myself versed is such matters at all. So as dumb as I am and others are getting 49% it really makes you wonder what to heck is going on?

For our international friends sorry the test is American centric.... I might get 10% or less on another countries civic class by just dumb luck...maybe not?

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

nice post.
Since I am on my phone I wont go into this all very much at all, or at least not as in depth as I would like.

Everything you listed is why I have always been at odds with formal academia.

There is no way, no matter your upbringing, that you could rationalize its proper function based on how you must see the world operates.

no.

Without a home environment conducive to learning and a personal ambition to learn more everyday....all hope of an ACTUAL education is null.

Education begins and ends at home...school is its recess and its proving grounds....show and tell of mind.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Advantage
Im quite pleased with these results. Let them make headlines screaming how ignorant or stupid or uneducated we are.

So sayeth Advantage

As far as I recall, the number one way in assuring that one is the best at something is through the acknowledgment of one's faults and addressing them appropriately and adequately to correct those flaws.

Ignoring them, on the other hand, never solves anything.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   

WhiteAlice

Advantage

So sayeth Advantage

As far as I recall, the number one way in assuring that one is the best at something is through the acknowledgment of one's faults and addressing them appropriately and adequately to correct those flaws.

Ignoring them, on the other hand, never solves anything.

I thought it was extremely easy to tell I was joking. If not.. I WAS JOKING.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by tadaman

Agree. Parents should be intrested about their offspring, how they do homeworks and learn. It doesn´t have to be boring for kid when it could be fun. Also judgemental approach doesn´t work, positive approach does.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join