It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. adults score below average on worldwide test

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   

scolai
reply to post by TDawgRex

I love these twisted news articles. "Let's show how stupid americans by testing 1000 of the dumbest people we can find."

They do the exact same thing at protests, when they find the people that clearly have no idea what's going on or why they're there.

I don't even bother giving that crap a read, same old chit. You can cherry pick people and Taylor the outcome to mean anything you want. Crapola that stinks to high heaven.

Keep thinking that about us if you want to. Lol

The Bot

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

29 out of 33 (and I feel somewhat embarrassed for missing 3 of the 4 that I did) . . . 87.88%

The majority of that information was learned by Freshman yr of HS for me . . . a few more from higher level Civics or History courses.

It is shocking to think avg. Americans score 49% and college educators 55%.

Now, I know why I'm constantly frustrated, on a daily basis, in dealing with people that I encounter.

EDIT - thanks for the link . . . I'm going to give it to my employees and a few peers . . .
edit on 10/8/13 by solomons path because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
US Adults scored below average for intelligence on November 4, 2008.
And they reaffirmed the results of that test score on November 6, 2012.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

I got 74%...and Iam a Brit (learn't all I know from USA members here on ATS)

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   

727Sky
reply to post by CB328

Nothing surprises me anymore with the state of our education system
This test is not supposed to be an easy one. The website reports that avg. score was 49% and college professors average about 55%.

There are 33 Questions. Click Below:

www.isi.org...
What is bad if the reported results are true... I got a little over 81% (dumb on my part) and I do not consider myself versed in such matters at all.

Can you tell me what your reasoning is to bring in an ENTIRELY UNRELATED test?

According to the Seattle Times, the test conducted was a "global" test, they actually provide the URL and more information here:

www.oecd.org...

What your test about US history has to do with it is beyond me. (Are you implying that a rather silly test about in-depth US history is suitable to assess reading comprehension, math, etc..etc.. ? It can hardly be taken to assess general "stupidity" or knowledge)

I also find it ironic that in a thread about stupidity in the US (and other countries, I admit) someone posts a reply with photoshopped (or funny) pics of Obama...and blames it (as seems to be very hip today) "on Obama". Hint: Obama is NOT the reason people are stupid.

edit on 22013R000000TuesdayAmerica/Chicago02PMTuesdayTuesday by NoRulesAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
The problem with these things is the US has a much much larger population than the other countries measured. US population size tend to skew most comparisons. Notice China and India are not on their. Their populations would skew the numbers so badly their average would come in at the bottom. I do however understand that such things are used to demand increases in education funding etc. So on that I completely agree. We can always do more. And we need to make sure certain red states are stopped replacing science with relgion as they seem to keep trying to do.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   

MrSpad
The problem with these things is the US has a much much larger population than the other countries measured. US population size tend to skew most comparisons. Notice China and India are not on their. Their populations would skew the numbers so badly their average would come in at the bottom. I do however understand that such things are used to demand increases in education funding etc. So on that I completely agree. We can always do more. And we need to make sure certain red states are stopped replacing science with relgion as they seem to keep trying to do.

Sorry, I am confused. A PROPERLY conducted statistic doesn't care about the total umber of individuals. A certain number of people are surveyed/tested, it is assumed that the survey/test is a rough INTERPRETATION of the entire populace. This is the purpose and intent of statistics in the first place otherwise it would be pointless or skewed.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

I do not blame it on the education. Most people didn’t have the opportunity of an education 30 years ago that they have now. I fell as though most have the book knowledge, they just do not know how to apply it. It’s all about electronic devices, designer clothing and the appearance. Before electronics, you went to the store and they had to do simple math to give you back your change.

Medication for stress is handed out like candy and in our public schools the percentage of children on ADH drugs is very high.

Now give them all a test and they expect them to think.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   

boymonkey74
reply to post by 727Sky

That just shows that we are a smarter bunch here on ATS, or your really smart lol. I got 69.70 and missed couple i should not have lol. I did allot better than the politicians, so that makes me happy lol. Well hell I just spend to much time here and we'll watching TV lol. Damn i would be real smart if I just stopped watching TV lol.

I don't think it is bad as they make it, must be who you test.......

The Bot

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Was the test in Chinese?

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

[You answered 31 out of 33 correctly — 93.94 %

If you have any comments or questions about the quiz, please email [email protected].

You can consult the following table to see how citizens and elected officials scored on each question.

Incorrect Answers
Question: Which of the following are the unalienable rights referred to in the Declaration of Independence?
Your Answer: life, liberty, and property
Correct Answer: life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness
Question: In 1935 and 1936 the Supreme Court declared that important parts of the New Deal were unconstitutional. President Roosevelt responded by threatening to:
Your Answer: override the Supreme Court’s decisions by gaining three-quarter majorities in both houses of Congress
Correct Answer: appoint additional Supreme Court justices who shared his views]

Quite an easy test overally, although missed 2 :/ Never would have thought pursuit of happiness comes from declaration of independence. You learn something NEW every day

I wonder how the average is so low, for me personally most of it comes from high-school history lessons (Northern European school, not American) with a few facts sticked to mind from ATS, english lessons and common sense + a few educated guesses - choosing the right answer by eliminating wrong ones

Fiscal policy for economic stimulus = lowering taxes and increasing spending - less than 4 in 10 knew the answer

1 in 3 did not know about Germany and Japan being WWII enemies.

1 in 2 did not know what progressive taxes or what are the 3 brances of government.

Less than 1 in 2 knew what business profit is. What else could it be than revenue-expenses?

I could bring more examples, although anybody can take a look at these themselves. Really surprised at the level of knowledge of people, especially the elected officials who took the test. At the end they should know and understand more about the system.

edit on 8-10-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   

boymonkey74
reply to post by 727Sky

I got 80% and I knew nothing about the USA government! I lied, I know a little but most questions I guessed :p oh and I'm a Canadian!
It's sad to know that some people outside the US can score higher than some Americans.

-BmwSauber

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Two things I loathe: Facebook and cell phones.

I own a cell phone because in my line of work if I don't get the gig somebody else does, its that simple. Facebook in my opinion is just plain bad for people's mental health, I avoid it like the plague.

I really think that in modern countries like the US where convenience and entertainment are paramount IQ's are bound to drop.

After all humans are mammals, and like all other mammals we store fat and sit around scratching our arses whenever we get a chance, why expend energy if you don't have to?

I know a guy from a very poor country, he told me that where he's from everybody is skinny, he said to me "if you see a fat man in my country you know that man is rich" The US has some of the fattest populations in the world, need I say more?

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Do your homework and stick with your President. He is the best you will ever have, even though you don't know it yet!!
Don't go back to the bush scenario, like we have with our thatcher lover cameron.

If you want progress ...'that's the way to go!!'

Education, Education, Education

hx

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join