It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. adults score below average on worldwide test

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
This is bad news for America, though not too surprising. Though most people will be quick to blame the government and education system, I think the cause of this problem is that a lot of people today are lazy and have no interest in learning anything useful or bettering themselves. They would rather watch TV, drink beer or go shooting than learn how to think, and their kids pick up the same attitude.

seattletimes.com...

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

Arrrgh! Ya beat me by one minute! ONE MINUTE! LOL

Myself? concerning this here study see a correlation between entertain/infoment and Americans would rather be entertained than educated. Just look at our inner cities.

Plus no one wants to be electricians, plumbers, auto mechanics, etc. They all want the corner office. Not...going...to...happen.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Nothing wrong with watching a little TV, drinking a few beers, and shooting some skeet once in a while. I do all three occasionally but spend a real lot of time studying things. Facebook is worse than all of those. People rarely even pick up a phone and talk to each other anymore. Even worse, most people don't go and visit their relatives and friends anymore and when they do, they sit there punching on keys on their phone or kindle. Facebook is making us dumber, cell phone technology is distracting everyone.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Sounds about right and yes, our educational system is broken and far more interested in teaching kids how to test well than think critically or solve problems. The other part of the problem is intellectuals are often thought of as "soft", "effeminate" or erudite in the US. This is how those with lazy minds justify their own lack of education. It's a bit of a cultural stigma brought about young men who are only interested in doing that which they believe will attract girls - thus they play sports, become rappers and develop serious hangups about expensive cars and trendy clothing.

Cheap shot at shooting sports (pun intended).
Educational levels have nothing to do with interest in firearms.
edit on 8-10-2013 by Asktheanimals because: added comment

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

I love these twisted news articles. "Let's show how stupid americans by testing 1000 of the dumbest people we can find."

They do the exact same thing at protests, when they find the people that clearly have no idea what's going on or why they're there.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Poor education, poor media, dozens of flavors of reality tv,
water fluoridation, layers of wifi, GMO in the food supply,
Industry-puffed lakes of unknown chemicals,
in any closed system, entropy trumps,
our eventual demise,
realize

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I am not actually surprised.

Picture a typical Wal*Mart. The folks trying to remember where they parked their 2008 Obama-stickered vehicle, or how to successfully dislodge a shopping cart from the rest of the pack. Picture their wardrobe. Mismatch socks, if any, sandals, shorts. Mentally grasp their size.

Now that you have that picture firmly seated in your mind, remember, that is the AVERAGE American.

That means half the population isn't even that bright.

Have a nice day.
edit on 10/8/13 by AnonymousCitizen because: added dig on Obama, not let an opportunity go to waste

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   

CB328
They would rather watch TV, drink beer or go shooting than learn how to think...

I guess the problem is with the American leadership then?

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

I don't think that I'm going to judge the entire population of the U.S on a few Walmart shoppers. Americans are still at the forfront when it comes to ingenuity, imagination and resilience.

The drop outs in this country have a better chance of making things happen more so than the students that pile on and in the institutional programming, and remain inside the institutions, of course earning a nice paycheck. The more obedient slaves receive the greater rewards.

Book knowledge aint all it's cracked up to be, certainly not now given the fact we are discovering all of the lies we have been fed in school and beyond.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
How else do you think the GOP convinced the citizens that something they called "trickle down economics" was effective and moral. ROLMAO! There are geniuses still defending that chestnut.

It is also how they keep people from thinking too much about the two party system, electoral college etc. And of course war fighters have no use for complex critical thinking skills. Don't want any "slack" in the command chain.

No disrespect intended to military or ex military. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Witness2008

I'd have to agree. Walmart depicts the below-average more so than the average. Many people of average to superior intellect refuse to shop at Walmart. I'm not sure many below-average people would comprehend why they should care.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   

webedoomed
reply to post by Witness2008

I'd have to agree. Walmart depicts the below-average more so than the average. Many people of average to superior intellect refuse to shop at Walmart. I'm not sure many below-average people would comprehend why they should care.

You have more faith in the American population than I do. I applaud you for that. Personally, I'm not sure the below-average crowd could even FIND a Wal*Mart.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   

CB328
They would rather watch TV, drink beer or go shooting than learn how to think

I have to agree with the first one but the second and third one?

You don't happen to work for the ATF?

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

AnonymousCitizen
You have more faith in the American population than I do. I applaud you for that. Personally, I'm not sure the below-average crowd could even FIND a Wal*Mart.

I don't have much, and am a bit biased. The area I spend most of my time in is high income metro county. Perhaps our below average are more the average of the country as a whole. I'm not sure. The last I checked our county was nearly 1SD above the mean. That was about a decade ago.

I'm already mad for feeling like I'm surrounded by idiots. Can't imagine hanging around a truly moronic bunch. Maybe consider relocation.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
To hell with the comparisons. We are all dumber than ants. We don't see ants DESTROYING themselves or their habitat do we? The arrogance of human intelligence is absurd, just look around you.

If the combined intelligence of human beings results in the near total destruction of their bodies and habitat, how ludicrous is it to compare intelligence between people living in imagined borders?

Sorry, ALL human beings are stupid, even the smart ones. If intelligence reigned, we would not be seeing the end of days.

Intelligence should, AT LEAST, be measured in the ability to maintain the longevity of the species. In that regard, human beings get an F-. F- for stupidity and arrogance of extreme proportions.

edit on 8-10-2013 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

Nothing surprises me anymore with the state of our education system
This test is not supposed to be an easy one. The website reports that avg. score was 49% and college professors average about 55%.

There are 33 Questions. Click Below:

www.isi.org...
What is bad if the reported results are true... I got a little over 81% (dumb on my part) and I do not consider myself versed in such matters at all.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
If it's any consolation, Britain isn't much better .....

(Ireland was 20 and England 21 out of 25)

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Finally an explanation on how Obama was elected - TWICE! It's nice to see a study confirm what the intelligent among us have known for a very long time.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
63.8%...And I'm Canadian.....Wow....not too shaby !! lol

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   

727Sky
reply to post by CB328

Nothing surprises me anymore with the state of our education system
This test is not supposed to be an easy one. The website reports that avg. score was 49% and college professors average about 55%.

There are 33 Questions. Click Below:

www.isi.org...
What is bad if the reported results are true... I got a little over 81% (dumb on my part) and I do not consider myself versed in such matters at all.

Interesting, I've had nearly a bottle of wine. And I'm English and frankly most of the questions were educated guesses. And I still managed 63.64%

top topics

<<   2 >>

join