It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU bans packs of ten and menthol cigarettes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Following the passing of the EU Tobacco Directive today (Tue) in the European Parliament, local MEP Paul Nuttall said it “makes no sense.
“This EU Tobacco Directive defies logic, even the EU’s twisted logic.

Banning packs of ten will not stop people smoking…it will just make them buy more cigarettes and make them poorer.
“We criticise McDonalds for supersizing but this EU directive will simply encourage tobacco manufacturers to do the same. This makes no sense,” said Mr Nuttall, UKIP deputy leader, after the decision in Strasbourg.
“Over one million people in the UK smoke menthol cigarettes. Banning menthol cigarettes will not stop them smoking, this measure will simply increase the black market. This silly idea really shows that the EU has gone menthol.
“The attempt here to medicalise and shunt electronic cigarettes into pharmacies is devastating for people who are earnestly trying to give up smoking. Recent research has shown e-cigarettes are the most effective way to help people quit smoking if they want to."

Source

I really don't understand this, it has to be about money, I am not buying the "appealing to younger people" excuse.

It's like someone on Facebook has just said...when you have ten, you smoke ten, when you have 20 you smoke 20 (in a day).

How can forcing people to buy more, therefore likely smoke more, be beneficial to health?

I certainly don't understand the approach on banning menthol either, is there something more toxic about menthol filters over regular filters??

This all comes right after proposing a ban on e-cigarette, so personally I think it is about money, money the tobacco industry is loosing.

I am currently using an e-cigarette to try and give up, and it seems to be working, I also feel a lot healthier too, not so easily out of breath.
edit on 8/10/13 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Makes perfect sense if you see the EU as a massive, all controlling, pervasive monolithic entity.

And if you're a tobacco lobbyist. Why waste money on the smaller packets?

Good luck stopping smoking, it does get easier. Honestly.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
If kids are going to smoke, they're going to smoke. But hey, if they're going to smoke, then why not make more money from them?

The idea of banning Menthol cigarettes is absolutely crazy. Most of the people I know who smoke them are older people. I tried one when I was younger and in all honestly couldn't see the appeal. I wonder how much research was done? Probably the usual discussions over BIG lunches all paid for by the European tax payer.

I was once told by a Dr that although smoking obviously contributes to health issues, in contrast it also fights off alot of illnesses. How true that is, I don't know, but he seemed sincere when conveying this information.

The best way of stopping smoking of course, is to not start!! Cough, splutter, cough

edit on 8/10/13 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Maybe they're thinking that packs of 10 would be more affordable and thus encourage more young people to start. That's the only logic I can find but of course I find the whole proposition silly and overbearing per the usual government edicts. It's the only way they can justify their positions, by tinkering with everyone's lives thinking they can legislate their way to utopia. They think themselves far too important imo.
Congrats on the stopping smoking!
Good to hear you feel better for it.
Keep it up!

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
WOW, Outlawing menthol cigs, what's next menthol cough drops? Guys I live in the damn tobacco capital of the world the great state of N.C. Home of Loriilord Tobacco, RJ Reynolds tobacco, American Tobacco company, Spirit tobacco co. etc, etc, etc. I have watched thru the years as they Big Tobacco Co took out the farmers growing tobacco. Tobacco farmers used to sell their crops at open air auctions to the highest bidder, Now the Tobacco co pays the farmer direct To grow just for them, took all the competetion away. In my home town we cant even smoke in bars, restaurants, or out doors near any of these places. And tobacco built this state. I tell you all what I think about this, same thing it say's on the bumper of my truck........I SMOKE & I VOTE.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
There is some evidence that menthol cigarettes are not good for people. I think that they are worse for people than regular cigarettes myself. Cigarettes can be a medicine for people, but the medical industry wants everyone to be taking their medicines which also have side effects. I am not sure which is worse for you, the medicines that replace tobacco or the tobacco.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Tobacco is a funny drug i think, really shows the double standers we have when it comes to drug policies in the west

I dont really use any drug other than caffeine and a little alcohol, never anything illegal but it amazes me that tobacco is legal. Its a subject i would love to discuss more on ATS about the double standards why they ban somethings and allow others to be legal but the T&C's currently prevent me from doing so.

I have always thought that if tobacco were discovered tomorrow it would be banned over night in the same category as heroin because it is very addictive and it kills.

seems like our society has such a very stupid view on what leafy substances it bans and does not ban.

the whole things is quite stupid to me

I would just ban tobacco and be done with it, but hey thats just me.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Thing is, I can understand that. But as another poster said, if people are going to smoke, they will find a way.

The other problem I have with it is, take a certain unmentionable on ATS herb. Do people start because they want the effects, or because it is seen a bad thing to do in the eyes of the law...therefore cool to the younger folks.

By making smoking such a taboo subject for younger folks, are they not actually encouraging them to start by taking all these measures?

Hiding the facts about smoking is going to be nothing but trouble if you ask me, curiosity will always get the better of kids, best give them the hard truth IMO.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Another strike from faceless Brussels. Taking my 10 pack away now. I know i shouldn't smoke, I buy 10 packs to limit myself.

I suspect some in the European parliament may have just recieved a big back-hander from the tobacco industry... Nudge Nudge, Wink Wink.

Woogle.. I was just talking about this on FB, maybe the same thread.. I see we hail from the same place

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Grifter81

I was reading about it on Dale B's status..... same one by any chance?

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   

woogleuk
reply to post by Grifter81

I was reading about it on Dale B's status..... same one by any chance?

That's the one marra

top topics

join