It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gov't Shutdown - is congress still getting their 'perks' or not???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
The question .... is Congress still getting it's perks during the shut down?? Is the dining room open?? 'Shoe shine stand'?? THE GYM and Barber shops?? FAR left 'Think Progress' is reporting that they are up and running (and other news agencies are going with that story). PBS says those things are shut down.

Reported by the FAAAR left -
Congressional Gyms Deemed Essential and Remain Open During Shutdown

Head Start programs have been shuttered, small businesses can’t get loans and hundreds of thousands of federal government employees are furloughed. But the exclusive gyms available only to members of Congress have remained open throughout the shutdown.

A House aide confirmed to ThinkProgress that the House member’s gym is open. The House gym features a swimming pool, basketball courts, paddleball courts, a sauna, a steam room and flat screen TVs. While towel service is unavailable, taxpayers remain on the hook for cleaning and maintenance, which has been performed daily throughout the shutdown. There are also costs associated with the power required to heat the pools and keep the lights on.

Also reported others like these ... (but they all go back to the original far left 'think progress' source)
DRUDGE
The Atlantic WIre

HOWEVER, PBS SAYS IT'S CLOSED

PBS.ORG

While the Congressional buildings will be open, a number of services will be discontinued or limited, including trash and recycling collection, responses to plumbing and electrical problems, and daily cleaning of restrooms. The Members' dining room, gym, shoe shine stand and barber shops will be closed, along with the gift shop. The Congressional Post Office will remain open. If staffers are looking for a sandwich, they'll have one option in the Longworth Cafeteria, and for limited hours.

So has congress had their perks taken away or are they still enjoying the good life in DC???
Anyone know??

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   

A House aide confirmed to ThinkProgress that the House member’s gym is open. The House gym features a swimming pool, basketball courts, paddleball courts, a sauna, a steam room and flat screen TVs. While towel service is unavailable, taxpayers remain on the hook for cleaning and maintenance, which has been performed daily throughout the shutdown

Forgot the hooker's.

Sure the hooker will see an increase of 'work' due to 'government workers' on furlough.

Probably get to work via the congressional private subway.

This government 'shutdown' is not what they are making it out to be.

The current party in power holding 2 thirds government and their main stream propagandists are never letting a good crisis go to waste.

Thus using it as a wedge issue to divide, and conquer and set up the midterms.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I don't know about the perks part but my rep and some other state reps have turned their paychecks over to charity. So that means they are still getting paid - since working I imagine, but some feel it isn't fair to have income while others do not. I would say this is commendable but also know they make so much they can afford to do this. I choose to see it as a good thing though.

join