It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'God particle' theorists receive Nobel Prize in physics

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   

symptomoftheuniverse
reply to post by Phage

So how does the higgs particle extract mass from this non physical field?

That's confused.

The Higgs field (forget the particle for a moment) has the interactions with other fields/particles such that those particles which in their own local theory should be massless end up behaving "as if" they had mass. Since this "as if" can't ever be turned off, it is a good enough explanation for saying the Higgs field "is the origin" of (some of) the mass.

Higgs field is "mud" slowing down your MMORPG characters from running around at 'c'.

The Higgs boson is a consequence of the assumption, so far unviolated, that all fundamental physical fields behave according to quantum field theory's rules, and QFT makes it so that if there is a field then there could be a particle which is an excitation of this field independent of the interaction between Higgs field and something else.

The Higgs boson is a "mud monster", a detectable 'glorp' of the mud field because of QFT.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Im glad i dont study qft ,thanks for the explanation.
So is the higgs field particle interaction similar to radio waves exciting an antenna? Instead of energy transfered its mass ? Forgive me my ignorance.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   

symptomoftheuniverse
Im glad i dont study qft ,thanks for the explanation.
So is the higgs field particle interaction similar to radio waves exciting an antenna? Instead of energy transfered its mass ? Forgive me my ignorance.

No not really. It's more like viscocity.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by mbkennel

Like a rock in a stream of chocolate?

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   

symptomoftheuniverse
reply to post by mbkennel

Like a rock in a stream of chocolate?

It's kind of been compared to walking through a crowd of people. With the "mass" being equivalent to your popularity to the rest of the people in the crowd, where the crowd is the Higgs Field, and each person in the crowd a Higgs Boson.

So, if you were a "regular Joe", you can get through the crowd a little slow, but fairly easy. You are not a big attraction to the people (not many Higgs bosons attache to you), so your mass is low. It takes less energy to go faster with this low mass.

If you were a movie or pop star, getting through the crowd is difficult because everyone crowds around trying to see you (you are more popular, therefore have more "mass" due to more Higgs bosons attaching on to you). Your movement is slowed down a lot. It takes more energy to get through the crowd since you have greater mass.

Now if you were the Pope (or some other greatly religious figure), and you try to get through a crowd, it is nearly impossible due to you having even greater "mass" associated with you, and even more people (Higgs bosons) attaching on to you making movement nearly impossible.

The more mas you have, the more energy it takes to move faster. As you approach the speed of light, time will slow, your mass will increase, until it would take infinite energy to move you when you get to have infinite mass.....and you stop moving and time stops. This is why nothing with mass can travel at or faster than the speed of light.

It's a rudimentary explanation, but, I hope this helps...

edit on 10/9/2013 by Krakatoa because: Fixed spelling and other fat-finger errors

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Krakatoa

It does help ,thanks.
Could this explain the size of galaxies? With the mass of the black hole equivalent to the popularity of the higgs?
Have i just solveld the unified field theory? Lol thanks krak.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   

symptomoftheuniverse
reply to post by Krakatoa

It does help ,thanks.
Could this explain the size of galaxies? With the mass of the black hole equivalent to the popularity of the higgs?
Have i just solveld the unified field theory? Lol thanks krak.

Close, close. In your example, the mass of the blackhole is equivalent to the popularity of the singularity at its center (the leftover mass from the collapsed star, or stars if the big black hole is the result of the merging of numerous black holes through the millennium, causing the galaxy to form around its gravity well).

But, I think you get the idea....glad I could help.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join