It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: X-43A Mach 10 Flight Succesful!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 03:50 AM
link   
NASA succesfully flew the X-43A hypersonic research vehicle into the record books, again, this time at nearly Mach 9.8, or 7,000 mph. The high-risk, high-payoff flight, was originally scheduled for Nov. 15 but was scrubbed due to technical glitches. It took place in restricted airspace over the Pacific Ocean northwest of Los Angeles. The flight was the last and fastest of three unpiloted flight tests in NASA's Hyper-X Program. The program's purpose is to explore an alternative to rocket power for space access vehicles, called 'Scramjets'.

SpaceFlightNow

"This flight is a key milestone and a major step toward the future possibilities for producing boosters for sending large and critical payloads into space in a reliable, safe, inexpensive manner," said NASA Administrator Sean O'Keefe. "These developments will also help us advance the Vision for Space Exploration, while helping to advance commercial aviation technology," Administrator O'Keefe said.

Supersonic combustion ramjets (scramjets) promise more airplane-like operations for increased affordability, flexibility and safety in ultra high-speed flights within the atmosphere and for the first stage to Earth orbit. The scramjet advantage is once it is accelerated to about Mach 4 by a conventional jet engine or booster rocket, it can fly at hypersonic speeds, possibly as fast as Mach 15, without carrying heavy oxygen tanks, as rockets must.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Related ATSNN News Articles
- NASA's X-43 Hyper-X to Attempt Mach 10 Flight
- NASA X-43 Hyper-X vehicle targets Mach 10
- X-43a hypersonic research vehicle reaches Mach 7
- Hyper-X: Return-to-Flight Planned

Related Discussions on the AboveTopSecret.com Forums
- X-43A flight this Saturday. (27th)
- EXCLUSIVE: Cause of X-43A Hyper-X Crash Identified
- The NASA Hyper-X Project

Related Websites
- NASA X-43 Program Website
- AboveTopSecret.com: NASA'S HYPER-X PROJECT AND THE X-43A
- Air-Attack.com: X-43 Hyper-X Program

[edit on 11-18-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 03:51 AM
link   

www.spaceflightnow.com...

LIVE NASA TV COVERAGE:
Windows media player: www.nasa.gov...
Realplayer: www.nasa.gov...

2243 GMT (5:43 p.m. EST)

To recap, the X-43A was successfully launched by the Pegasus booster today. After separating from the rocket at about Mach 10, the X-43A hypersonic research vehicle's scramjet engine inlet was opened, the fuel system activated and the brief 10-second test occurred. The X-43A is currently gliding to the Pacific where it will impact and sink.

2250 GMT (5:50 p.m. EST)
A post-flight news conference is coming up in about an hour. Officials will review results from today's apparent successful scramjet test at Mach 10, which would establish a new speed record for an air-breathing vehicle.

Here is the mission profile (of the March 27 flight) Mission Profile
(NOTE: X-43 seperation from the booster will be 15,000 feet highter than the March 27 flight, at 110,000 ft.)

[edit on 11-16-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Christ Mach 10, if you can sustain that for long periods, then Hello Global Reach!. Its too bad NASA is out of funding. But if I recall correctly, DARPA may be picking up the project?

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 03:57 AM
link   
I love the cute smaller model of the larger craft that already works
They always pretend this is where they really are in the progress of a project.
They must be in the tweaking phase now.

godluvem

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Christ Mach 10, if you can sustain that for long periods, then Hello Global Reach!. Its too bad NASA is out of funding. But if I recall correctly, DARPA may be picking up the project?

Yes, I've read several times now that DARPA (might) get research data for their FALCON program, a hypersonic strike vehicle that 'should be capable of striking targets 9,000 nautical miles distant in less than two hours.'

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I'm hoping to see it from my balconey. I live on the ocean/beach in Redondo Beach, CA. Although it's some distance from here, I can usually see it when rockets are launched at Vandenburg AFB. When they reach a certain altitude, that is. I assume there'll be a sonic boom to go with it. Should be neat.

I've got business in the morning, though, and could get stuck and not make it back in time. If I'm able to view it, I'll report in and describe what I saw ...

PS: Oh yeah, I know it's not being launched from Vandenburg AFB, but Edwards is next door.

[edit on 11/15/2004 by netbound]

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Goody.Can't wait to see it fly.Hope all goes smooth.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Looks like all went well - 7000 mph @ 110,000 ft. Saw a quick blurb on the news just moments ago~

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   
hi Intelgurl, they haven't launched it yet, they will in 20-30 minutes (I heard they have some electronics problems)

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   
LOL, guess i need to pay more attention to those news feeds...

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Watchin' live webcast.Theyre doin' checkups like on previous launch.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 04:30 PM
link   
hmm...its getting pretty late here, I dont think I can cover the entire event.

The B-52 has yet to take off, and after that it has to fly for an hour to reach the launch point.
At that time will probably be after 1 AM over here

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Hi,

I just heard on a live broadcast that the takeoff from Edwards may be around 3 PM PST, if at all...

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by netbound
Hi,

I just heard on a live broadcast that the takeoff from Edwards may be around 3 PM PST, if at all...

Yes, there is a big chance they might cancel the flight.

www.spaceflightnow.com...

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 04:46 PM
link   
It's a SHUTDOWN. They may try again tomorrow

[edit on 11/15/2004 by netbound]

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Sounds like it's a no-go today.Keephearing shutdown this,shutdown that.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Ok now it's canceled.Announcers said that avionics troubleshooting took all of launch window time.Try again manana.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   
okay, it seems the flight go on today.

I'm not sure if I can keep you all up to date about this, I need to get up early tomorrow (GMT+1 over here).

Latest updates: www.spaceflightnow.com...

LIVE webcast just started seconds ago: www.nasa.gov...

[edit on 11-16-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Yup....B-52 is up n flying over pacific ocean.All looks good.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   
30 minutes till launch.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join