It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"I Therefore Intend To Oppose The Effort To Increase America's Debt Limit"

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Sublimecraft
reply to post by Bassago

So now we can all agree that the 2 party system is a ruse designed to divide and conquer and that in reality it is one big fat party.

At the American taxpayers expense.

This "left" v's "right" crap is what landed you in the ship in the first place.

And yet some of you just cannot see it - now that's mind-control!!

Quite right. Now we need to free our brothers and sisters. If enough of this type information gets posted across the social networks then maybe... who knows, we might see the birth of the next "Greatest Generation." I hope so anyway.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by KellyPrettyBear

Ill get behind that. Pardon the pun.

I remember a video of Gaddafi rolling around the city hanging out his sun roof waving his hands at everyone. It probably went on for a good half hour. not in some military controlled area but randomly around the city. EVERYONE he passed by tried to run up and touch his vehicle or him or something. The man got his people excited and happy. If Bush or Obama tried that I suspect a shoe would be the kindest thing thrown at them. Clinton could probably roll around like Gaddafi but only after he got a bj from his intern half his age.

Point is the proof is in the pudding. If I don't want to slap you, then your doing alright. If I do want to slap you. change up what your are doing, don't hire more security.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   
double

not sure how that happened

edit on 7-10-2013 by MALBOSIA because: double

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

I know that Obama said that, back then, even though there was no chance in h$ll that his vote could have done anything to stop the debt ceiling from being raised. Seems to me there was something about a "bail out" that happened soon after.....

The thing is about the image in the OP, that signature of Obama's is the one from the Affordable Care Act. You can see where he changed pens, what was it 22 times?

Little bit of truth, little bit of lies, always make good political thread fodder.

edit on 7-10-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   

KellyPrettyBear

As he remembers 'Republicans' from earlier

in this life, Obama is MORE conservative than

many old school republicans.

He also says, "I don't recognize hardly any of those
guys as being republicans.. they are something else".

Yeah, the situation here is getting pretty bad politically.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

It sounds like this was congressional record of spoken word, and someone photo shopped the signature on it to make it look like it was recent. He may have [has] gained experience since then and realizes that at this time not raising the debt limit would be a disaster. Which it would be.

When Obama says that no Social Security or Disability checks would go out if we defaulted, that is true, because there would not be money for them -

If, if if by the way... I mean... I think there is a possibility of thing going terribly wrong, at least enough that China is warning us about this, and economists are working on mapping it out.
edit on 7-10-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

When Obama says that no Social Security or Disability checks would go out if we defaulted, that is true, because there would not be money for them -

Do you think the revenues from taxes could run the government ?

Only the deficit spending would stop.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Ha ha, that would be a smart idea - okay so I had to dig up a link.

U.S. Treasury - Daily Reports

The following link is for the October 4th, 2013 statement.

PDF File - October 4th
edit on 8-10-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

----------

11 billion in withdrawals, 7 billion in deposits. We have $25 million to go until we hit the debt limit. We are losing 4 billion a day. The debt went down $10 million on October 4th. So I dunno.
edit on 8-10-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   

windword
The thing is about the image in the OP, that signature of Obama's is the one from the Affordable Care Act. You can see where he changed pens, what was it 22 times?

Little bit of truth, little bit of lies, always make good political thread fodder.

I am curious what you are saying here. Can you clarify a bit?

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 01:53 AM
link   
It's real. The debt ceiling is always a circus. Everyone knows it has to be increased otherwise there's severe economic consequences. That doesn't stop the minority party from trying to use it as an issue against the minority and extract some usually minor concessions though. It happens every time. Democrats, Republicans, they're exactly the same here.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 05:42 AM
link   

ownbestenemy

windword

I am curious what you are saying here. Can you clarify a bit?

The document in the OP looks like a hoax to me. That signature on the OP's document is the signature that Obama made that signed into law the ACA.

Why Obama Used Multiple Pens to Write a Single Signature?

Here's video of Obama signing the ACA into law. Skip to the 7 minute mark.

www.youtube.com...

Here's Obama's usual signature.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 05:57 AM
link   
This just supports my contention that the doom being fed to us about the debt ceiling is a sham.

There will be no collapse.
There will be no crushing effects.

Our economy is in shambles already. It's only being propped up by the 85 billion being pumped into the NYSE on a monthly basis.

This is all theatre designed so that the people would be behind a debt ceiling increase.

Keep government shut down.
Let's bring everyone home, close our borders, and work at fixing our country again.
We are not the worlds police.
We are not the worlds bread basket.
We are not the worlds bank.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Duly noted and done.
I particularly like his wrap up at the end.......
" Our debt also matters internationally. My friend, the ranking member of the Senate Budget Committee, likes to remind us that it took 42 Presidents 224 years to run up only $1 trillion of foreign-held debt . This administration did more than that in just 5 years. Now, there is nothing wrong with borrowing from foreign countries. But we must remember that the more we depend on foreign nations to lend us money, the more our economic security is tied to the whims of foreign leaders whose interests might not be aligned with ours.

Increasing America's debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that ``the buck stops here.'' Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better.
I therefore intend to oppose the effort to increase America's debt limit."
.....Plays music to the Magic Roundabout in his head whilst reading.....

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   

beezzer
This just supports my contention that the doom being fed to us about the debt ceiling is a sham.

There will be no collapse.
There will be no crushing effects.

Our economy is in shambles already. It's only being propped up by the 85 billion being pumped into the NYSE on a monthly basis.

This is all theatre designed so that the people would be behind a debt ceiling increase.

A sovereign default will be a catastrophe for us that might (probably) would reach global proportions. That part is not theater. The part where the pols are wringing their hands and arguing might be.

Keep government shut down.
Let's bring everyone home, close our borders, and work at fixing our country again.
We are not the worlds police.
We are not the worlds bread basket.
We are not the worlds bank.

Yep, totally agree.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Okay, let's get past this whole "did he really say that" thing. It's in the Congressional record pages S2237 and S2238 of the 109th Congress. Forgive me for quoting the whole speech, but it difficult to link to the source.

Mr. OBAMA: Mr. President, I rise today to talk about America's debt problem.

The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can't pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies.

Over the past 5 years, our federal debt has increased by $3.5 trillion to $8.6 trillion. That is ``trillion'' with a ``T.'' That is money that we have borrowed from the Social Security trust fund, borrowed from China and Japan, borrowed from American taxpayers. And over the next 5 years, between now and 2011, the President's budget will increase the debt by almost another $3.5 trillion.

Numbers that large are sometimes hard to understand. Some people may wonder why they matter. Here is why: This year, the Federal Government will spend $220 billion on interest. That is more money to pay interest on our national debt than we'll spend on Medicaid and the State Children's Health Insurance Program. That is more money to pay interest on our debt this year than we will spend on education, homeland security, transportation, and veterans benefits combined. It is more money in one year than we are likely to spend to rebuild the devastated gulf coast in a way that honors the best of America .

And the cost of our debt is one of the fastest growing expenses in the Federal budget. This rising debt is a hidden domestic enemy, robbing our cities and States of critical investments in infrastructure like bridges, ports, and levees; robbing our families and our children of critical investments in education and health care reform; robbing our seniors of the retirement and health security they have counted on.

Every dollar we pay in interest is a dollar that is not going to investment in America's priorities. Instead, interest payments are a significant tax on all Americans--a debt tax that Washington doesn't want to talk about. If Washington were serious about honest tax relief in this country, we would see an effort to reduce our national debt by returning to responsible fiscal policies.

But we are not doing that. Despite repeated efforts by Senators CONRAD and FEINGOLD, the Senate continues to reject a return to the commonsense Pay-go rules that used to apply. Previously, Pay-go rules applied both to increases in mandatory spending and to tax cuts. The Senate had to abide by the commonsense budgeting principle of balancing expenses and revenues. Unfortunately, the principle was abandoned, and now the demands of budget discipline apply only to spending.

As a result, tax breaks have not been paid for by reductions in Federal spending, and thus the only way to pay for them has been to increase our deficit to historically high levels and borrow more and more money. Now we have to pay for those tax breaks plus the cost of borrowing for them. Instead of reducing the deficit, as some people claimed, the fiscal policies of this administration and its allies in Congress will add more than $600 million in debt for each of the next 5 years. That is why I will once again cosponsor the Pay-go amendment and continue to hope that my colleagues will return to a smart rule that has worked in the past and can work again.

Our debt also matters internationally. My friend, the ranking member of the Senate Budget Committee, likes to remind us that it took 42 Presidents 224 years to run up only $1 trillion of foreign-held debt . This administration did more than that in just 5 years. Now, there is nothing wrong with borrowing from foreign countries. But we must remember that the more we depend on foreign nations to lend us money, the more our economic security is tied to the whims of foreign leaders whose interests might not be aligned with ours.

Increasing America's debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that ``the buck stops here.'' Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem [Page: S2238] GPO's PDF and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better.

I therefore intend to oppose the effort to increase America's debt limit .

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousCitizen

Thanks for posting that.

So it appears that the prosecution of this case involving Obama can now rest.

We the jury find Barack H Obama guilty on the charge of being a complete hypocrite.

Other charges to follow.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   

windword
The document in the OP looks like a hoax to me. That signature on the OP's document is the signature that Obama made that signed into law the ACA.

Document might be a PR piece, but the words are straight from the Congressional Record, as I linked, for that day. Those are then Senator Obama's words. I am not a fan at the theatrics, I would rather just show the source as I have.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Treachery:

The willful betrayal of fidelity, confidence, or trust; perfidy.
The act or an instance of such betrayal..
violation of faith; betrayal of trust.
An act of perfidy, faithlessness, or treason.

Thesaurus Legend: Synonyms Related Words Antonyms
Noun 1. treachery - betrayal of a trusttreachery - betrayal of a trust
perfidiousness, perfidy
disloyalty - the quality of being disloyal
insidiousness - the quality of being designed to entrap
2. treachery - an act of deliberate betrayaltreachery - an act of deliberate betrayal
betrayal, perfidy, treason
knavery, dishonesty - lack of honesty; acts of lying or cheating or stealing

double cross, double-crossing - an act of betrayal; "he gave us the old double cross"; "I could no longer tolerate his impudent double-crossing"
sellout - an act of betrayal
www.thefreedictionary.com...
edit on 8-10-2013 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by all2human

The most correct answer would be:

chi·can·er·y
SHiˈkānərē,CHi-/Submit
noun
the use of trickery to achieve a political, financial, or legal purpose.

-- AND --

soph·ist·ry
ˈsäfəstrē/Submit
noun
the use of fallacious arguments, esp. with the intention of deceiving.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Right. I agree. But, how quickly we forget. At the time Obama opposed the debt limit, which in no was going to effect the fact that it would be risen, the US wasn't in debt as badly as it is today.

On December 19, 2008, a week after Republicans in the Senate had killed a bailout bill proposed by Democrats, saying it didn’t impose big enough wage cuts on the U.A.W., Bush unilaterally agreed to lend $17.4 billion of taxpayers’ money to General Motors and Chrysler, of which $13.4 billion was to be extended immediately. He had to twist the law to get the money. Deprived of congressional funding, he diverted cash from the loathed TARP program, which Congress had already passed, but which was supposed to be restricted to rescuing the banks. “I didn’t want there to twenty-one-per-cent unemployment,” he said to a meeting of the National Automobile Dealers Association in Las Vegas last month, explaining why he acted as he did. “I didn’t want history to look back and say, ‘Bush could have done something but chose not to do it.’ ”
www.newyorker.com...

The Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008 (Division A of Pub.L. 110–343, 122 Stat. 3765, enacted October 3, 2008), commonly referred to as a bailout of the U.S. financial system, is a law enacted in response to the subprime mortgage crisis authorizing the United States Secretary of the Treasury to spend up to $700 billion to purchase distressed assets,
en.wikipedia.org...

I think it's understandable why Obama would change his mind on the debt ceiling, given the circumstances.

edit on 8-10-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join