It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: China Warns Taiwan Against Provoking Conflict Again

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Warning that armed conflict is unavoidable, Wang Zaixi, vice minister of the mainland's policy-making Taiwan Affairs Office, stated if Taiwan continues to provoke China. He went on to say that Taiwan was exploiting China�s restraint and their focus on the economy and the 2008 Olympics. He also stated that he felt that Taiwanese President Chen Shui-bian�s recent overtures were insincere. Talks of reunification with what China considers to be a breakaway province have been frozen since 1999.

story.news.yahoo.com
BEIJING (Reuters) - Armed conflict will be unavoidable if Taiwan keeps provoking China and pushing for independence, one of Beijing's top Taiwan policymakers said on Monday, but he spelt out a condition for reopening dialogue.

Wang Zaixi, vice minister of the mainland's policy-making Taiwan Affairs Office, told Reuters in a rare interview that Taiwan was exploiting the mainland's restraint and its focus on the economy and preparations for the 2008 Olympics.

Tension has been simmering since the March re-election of Taiwan President Chen Shui-bian, who said last week that the next two years were key to resuming dialogue with China and suggested that the two sides set up a "buffer zone" to avoid accidental military conflict.

"I think it is unavoidable tension will rise in the Taiwan Straits and there may even be armed conflict ... if the island keeps bumping Beijing's 'one China' bottom line and pushes for independence," said Wang.

"I think these gestures by Chen Shui-bian with regard to cross-straits relations are insincere," he said, adding that Chen remained intent on pushing a separatist agenda.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

If the situation was not so serious, China�s behavior would be humorous. Kind of like a schoolyard bully they continue to add threat upon threat and as each day goes by they seem to alienate the people of Taiwan further and further. By now 50+ years has gone by and the people of Taiwan have grown their own identity and their own culture. Recent polls show this as well. One has to wonder how many people support independence if you removed the ever present threat of Chinese aggression?

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 03:51 AM
link   
i fear that this will be inevitable, the Chinese will go after Taiwan before long and well be in WW3. The chinese will just wait for the Yanks to bog themselves down in the war on terror crusade and when the US is militarily tied up the Chinese will strike.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 04:39 AM
link   
You gotta love Beijing's words.

Taiwan, by TALKING about independence, a self-evident fact, is "provoking" China.

China, by pointing hundreds of missiles at Taiwan, is, of course, doing no such thing.

If Taiwan is not independent and is in fact an indivisible part of China, why does China need to point so many missiles at it? For goodwill?

I wonder who is the bigger threat, that crazy dwarf in Pyonyang with his nukes, or the Central Committee in Beijing with the world's largest chip on their shoulders?

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Sounds like China wants to start a fight no matter what. I would be more concerned about the Central Committee than North Korea right now. China seems to want to flex its military muscle, maybe even to test it against the US.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 09:37 AM
link   
You know, think about it....
Just how many years now, has China and Taiwan been going at this sabre rattling?
I fully understand the implications that such a conflict would have, but almost about every few months, 'they' make the headlines again with their incessant sabre rattlings.

Getting old...

seekerof

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I don't think anything will happen between the two till after the Olympics. It would be a complete waste of money. China does not want to be in a war when the games come up.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 10:16 AM
link   
It's just a Big game for China. the CCP has to show it's standing up. Little Taiwan has to progress on some constitution issues. it turns out to be fodder for China's cannons.they go running to the US saying ,"please you've got to stop this dangerous behavior by Taiwan". the US pulls over Taiwan and says "you've been speeding again and I told you not to drive so fast. I may yet have to write you a ticket." Taiwan says, "Ok,Ok , I promise I'll try to slow down".

It's all good for 5min. and then it starts over again.

Ha,Ha.

[edit on 11/15/2004 by bodebliss]

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by bodebliss
Little Taiwan has to progress on some constitution issues. it turns out to be fodder for China's cannons.they go running to the US saying ,"please you've got to stop this dangerous behavior by Taiwan". the US pulls over Taiwan and says "you've been speeding again and I told you not to drive so fast. I may yet have to write you a ticket." Taiwan says, "Ok,Ok , I promise I'll try to slow down".
It's all good for 5min. and then it starts over again.
Ha,Ha.

Sign here...

new topics

top topics

join