It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extinct tree grows anew from ancient jar of seeds unearthed by archaeologists.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan

MALBOSIA

OccamsRazor04

MALBOSIA

OccamsRazor04

MALBOSIA
On topic:

Wow, you found a seed. Good for you.

edit on 7-10-2013 by MALBOSIA because: (no reason given)

Pretty much your whole post was sheer ignorance, culminating in your saying bringing back an entire extinct species to life is a simple achievement that isn't noteworthy.

What else would I expect from someone like you though.

Hey hey, whats this "like you " BS?

Curious....

Blind hatred towards Jews, where everything is their fault somehow.

Ultra orthodox Jews are no different than the same extremity if Christianity or Islam. These guys follow the book to the letter. I expressed my view on certain sect of a religion that might take the content of the OP a little too serious. You come at me with accusations of bigotry... Lame.

Is Israel a religious extremest state taken by violence in the 20th century and relying on violence and religious based propaganda in order to survive ever since? I know the answer to that one. YES!

You resurrect that plant in a region inhabited by religious extremists who's scripture describes such an event as the sign of the end.... and then call it a GOOD thing?
How do you know that plant wasn't supposed to be dead? Maybe nature intended that. Just because it was written in some fictional book, that is good enough reason to resurrect it?

The average Joe Jew wouldn't care or read into it that much. The focus of my statement was towards the ultra orthodox breed that may read into this like the rest of their book, too much.

SO that is what you take out of this story???

About the plant itself? meh. pretty boring. 2000 years ago. A dark period in earths history. Probably the worst.

how about 32,000 years ago?

32,000-Year-Old Plant Brought Back to Life—Oldest Yet

A Russian team discovered a seed cache of Silene stenophylla, a flowering plant native to Siberia, that had been buried by an Ice Age squirrel near the banks of the Kolyma River (map). Radiocarbon dating confirmed that the seeds were 32,000 years old.

Solowey resurrected the 2,000-year-old date palm that previously held the title of oldest regenerated seed. Her palm seed, though, had been buried in a dry, cool area, a far cry from the S. stenophylla seeds' permafrost environment.

Link

I think the seeds found in Russia represent viable scientific research. A proper specimen. The one in Israel?... desperate attempt.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
The ancient people knew they could preserve seeds in clay for a very long time. A seed covered in clay and the clay dried can last for thousands of years or more. Bacteria cannot live in certain clays and the hardened clay keeps worms out. Painting the clay rock with some sort of mineral paint will keep the ants away. Next time you go out into the woods, look at the plants. Not a hundredth of plants growing by you have been classified by science yet. Some look like regular modern plants but they may be older than the hills.

There are also plants sprouting from seeds after the glacier retreats. These plants can be from before the ice age. These plants can be extinct plants in the rest of the world. I am sure some of these plants would make good medicine yet very fewrealize the potential.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   

StoutBroux

new_here
A jar of these seeds unearthed? If forests of these things grew abundantly, then there would have been no real reason to save seeds, until the trees began to be wiped out by the invading armies.

Some smart dude (or dudette) had the presence of mind to create a lil seed vault for them in the desert... good on him/her!

A lesson for us all? (In the wake of GM seeds-- perhaps I'll dig a hole out back and find a suitable jar...)

Super idea. Just need to find a suitable container, maybe something of baked clay with an airtight lid. Put your seeds in along with a note of description if they're not in a descriptive package. I'm gonna do this, just gotta figure out which seeds to put in.

I am assuming that the fruit dried around the seed and sealed it air tight, like a cocoon, considering it was a date fruit.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   
How hard a sell could that Fig be?
It's wrote it's own story.

Not tasted in thousands of years,
Figs from the Time of Jesus..
Maybe you've heard of him?
Maybe Jesus ate Figs
from this very tree?

....Old Holy Time Figs.....
Soon to include Fig Jam,Fig BBQ sauce,
Nacho Cheese Fig and Dairy Queens new Blintz
Jesus Dates Christ

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by MALBOSIA

I hear ice age squirrels were as big as a pit bull.
edit on 8-10-2013 by Logarock because: n

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
When will the plant start yielding / what does the fruit look like?

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 12:53 AM
link   

MALBOSIA

bigfatfurrytexan

MALBOSIA

OccamsRazor04

MALBOSIA

OccamsRazor04

MALBOSIA
On topic:

Wow, you found a seed. Good for you.

edit on 7-10-2013 by MALBOSIA because: (no reason given)

Pretty much your whole post was sheer ignorance, culminating in your saying bringing back an entire extinct species to life is a simple achievement that isn't noteworthy.

What else would I expect from someone like you though.

Hey hey, whats this "like you " BS?

Curious....

Blind hatred towards Jews, where everything is their fault somehow.

Ultra orthodox Jews are no different than the same extremity if Christianity or Islam. These guys follow the book to the letter. I expressed my view on certain sect of a religion that might take the content of the OP a little too serious. You come at me with accusations of bigotry... Lame.

Is Israel a religious extremest state taken by violence in the 20th century and relying on violence and religious based propaganda in order to survive ever since? I know the answer to that one. YES!

You resurrect that plant in a region inhabited by religious extremists who's scripture describes such an event as the sign of the end.... and then call it a GOOD thing?
How do you know that plant wasn't supposed to be dead? Maybe nature intended that. Just because it was written in some fictional book, that is good enough reason to resurrect it?

The average Joe Jew wouldn't care or read into it that much. The focus of my statement was towards the ultra orthodox breed that may read into this like the rest of their book, too much.

SO that is what you take out of this story???

About the plant itself? meh. pretty boring. 2000 years ago. A dark period in earths history. Probably the worst.

how about 32,000 years ago?

32,000-Year-Old Plant Brought Back to Life—Oldest Yet

A Russian team discovered a seed cache of Silene stenophylla, a flowering plant native to Siberia, that had been buried by an Ice Age squirrel near the banks of the Kolyma River (map). Radiocarbon dating confirmed that the seeds were 32,000 years old.

Solowey resurrected the 2,000-year-old date palm that previously held the title of oldest regenerated seed. Her palm seed, though, had been buried in a dry, cool area, a far cry from the S. stenophylla seeds' permafrost environment.

Link

I think the seeds found in Russia represent viable scientific research. A proper specimen. The one in Israel?... desperate attempt.

Thank you for supporting a very well known religious creationist's theory that there was once a tropical forest beneath the Siberian ice

Dr. Walt Brown.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by nighthawk1954

Cool and all, but I just got to ask?

How did such a supposedly renowned tree in that part of the world at least, and symbolic to boot it seems. If one of the most famous peoples in Judeo history Kind David named his daughter after it. How did it suddenly become extinct, and especially seeing as it was a commonly grown staple food source tree as well? What did they all decide they really needed firewood or to build more of them chariots one century and proceeded to cut them all down?

You know what! Don't answer that. As that just may be the reason why.

Anyways cool stuff.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   

galadofwarthethird
reply to post by nighthawk1954

Cool and all, but I just got to ask?

How did such a supposedly renowned tree in that part of the world at least, and symbolic to boot it seems. If one of the most famous peoples in Judeo history Kind David named his daughter after it. How did it suddenly become extinct, and especially seeing as it was a commonly grown staple food source tree as well? What did they all decide they really needed firewood or to build more of them chariots one century and proceeded to cut them all down?

You know what! Don't answer that. As that just may be the reason why.

Anyways cool stuff.

Invasion. It was their staple crop.

When the US Army attacked the Native Americans, they wiped out their food source - the buffalo. It is an ancient warfare tactic.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by GeisterFahrer

And that's why they should have cut them all down and made some more chariots...

But yes it makes sense, in fact it was kind of a duh question.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Pity we brought it back to life - to live in pollution and gloabl warming only to die again.

I hope one day they find some of my seeds, preserved in rock hard toilet paper.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   
This is just another Zionist plot to get you to give money to fund the destruction of the Palestinian people and culture. If these dates were really so good then they would never had died out, they would have been grown all around the date growing world. Dates are a palm, their wood (which is not really wood) is good for nothing. The Romans completely conquered and annexed Judea by 130 AD, kicking all the Jews out, why would they have destroyed all of the date palms to cripple the Judean economy?

These normal dates will be sold under the name of Judean dates at 5 times the price of normal dates in a couple of years and Westerners will be fooled into buying them. It takes 4 or more years for a date palm to produce fruit, unless you grow it from a sucker off another tree, which is how most are propagated, but if these seeds really were of a special date palm that would not be possible until the palm is fully grown.

Wikipedia:

Date palms can take 4 to 8 years after planting before they will bear fruit, and produce viable yields for commercial harvest between 7 to 10 years.

The date palm is dioecious, having separate male and female plants. They can be easily grown from seed, but only 50 percent of seedlings will be female and hence fruit bearing, and dates from seedling plants are often smaller and of poorer quality. Most commercial plantations thus use cuttings of heavily cropping cultivars. Plants grown from cuttings will fruit 2–3 years earlier than seedling plants.

Germination of 2000-year-old seed

Germination of 2000-year-old seed

by June 2008, the tree had nearly a dozen fronds and was nearly 1.4 m (4 ft) tall. By the summer of 2010, the sapling stood at about 2 meters tall.

The plant was nicknamed "Methuselah," after the longest-lived person in the Bible. Methuselah is remarkable in being the oldest known tree seed successfully germinated, and also in being the only living representative of the Judean date palm, a tree extinct for over 1800 years, which was once a major food and export crop in ancient Judea.

Methuselah flowered in March 2011 and is male. The palm may be crossbred with its closest living relative, the Hiyani date from Egypt, to generate fruit by 2022.

When compared with three other cultivars of date palm, genetic tests showed the plant to be closely related to the old Egyptian variety Hayany (also Hiani, Hayani), 19% of its DNA being different, and an Iraqi cultivar (16% different DNA). They may have shared the same wild ancestor.

Don't believe everything you read, it is obvious that the person who wrote this Wikipedia article is the same one who is trying to tell you that these dates are special.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Cinrad

Well putting aside all that judeo Zionist stuff.

It's more clearer now why these trees went extinct in the first place, there really not all that special. And your probably right one day some 10 or so years from now when they bear fruit, these back from the grave dates just may be sold at ridiculously market up prices.

And who knows there sales pitch may be the same facts why the tree became extinct in the first place, that magical fruit which grows only every 4 to 8 years. Buy it now! While you can! Because the next shipment of this magical fruit from kind Davids and Jesus time will ship in another 5 years.

In terms of a staple crop that would just suck and by any standards today, or even back then, would not be considered a staple crop, that is! unless that is you lived in a dessert. But hey you can market anything to anybody it seems. I heard there already piecing the land back there in this holly land and selling it for ridiculous marked up prices which is why there so hostile in there land grab of Palestine and the surrounding areas, it seems many people, especially rich people both jew and christian even are willing to spend lots of $$$ to be close to such grandeur which is the holly land. No doubt because of its historical record.

So ya! why not sell these dates as well at ridiculously market up prices in comparison to other dates. All you really need is a sales pitch.
dum dum dum.

edit on 10-10-2013 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

I apologise to everyone, I suppose the Zionist stuff might be considered trolling on a site like this, I was just # stirring as we say here, trying to get a reaction. But like you say about people who pay big bucks to be closer to the grandeur of the Holy Land, I get jack of it. People who buy kosher wine from Mt Carmel that tastes #, Dead Sea mud to put on their faces, rams horns made in Israel... there are a few shops here that sell only these kind of things, and they rely on the Evangelical pro-Israel sector to make money.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by new_here

ok
I've searched high and low... maybe I missed the middle-ground
... but I can't find how these seeds were stored. (still lookin')
now,
I want to know, so,
if someone feels like doing some detective work, please do, I wish you better luck.
remember to report back if you're successful!

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join