It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Nation Still Divided Over Gay Marriage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 02:39 AM
link   
The nation remains split on the issue of gay marriage. The supporters of gay marriage took a beating during the last election where 11 states that put traditional marriage definitions on the ballots passed. However, civil unions gain support in Vermont, domestic partners increased their benefits in California, and a Texas sodomy law was struck down by the U.S. Supreme court. After the election, President Bush renewed his call for a constitutional amendment defining marriage as an act between a man and a woman only. However supporters of the issue vow to continue their fight. Lawsuits are already being filed in states that passed the bans and more are expected.

www.foxnews.com
BOSTON � The fight for gay marriage (search) appeared to be gaining ground a year ago. Although dozens of states had passed laws defining marriage as a heterosexual institution, advocates took heart in state-sanctioned civil unions in Vermont, expanded domestic partnership benefits in California, and a Supreme Court decision striking down the Texas sodomy ban.

Then, in a ruling hailed by supporters as the start of a new era, the highest court in Massachusetts made the state the first to sanction same-sex marriages.

As supporters celebrate the first anniversary of that ruling Wednesday, both sides are digging in for tougher, longer battles.

Opponents of gay marriage are bolstered by this year's elections, when 11 states pushed through constitutional amendments banning gay marriage, joining six others that had done so earlier. And President Bush has promised to make a federal anti-gay marriage amendment a priority of his second term.

"I think what we're seeing now is a visible manifestation of the momentum that has been building and will continue to build," said Mat Staver, president of the Liberty Counsel, a conservative, Orlando, Fla.-based law group, which is involved in 30 cases around the nation.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This was and is going to be an inevitable battle of sorts. As homosexuality has moved into the mainstream, it is unlikely that the issue will simply go away. Both sides are very passionate about their beliefs on the issue. I doubt that we will see the U.S. constitution amended as President Bush is proposing. Rather, it will be a state by state issue as determined by the voters.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 02:47 AM
link   
It didn't "move" into the mainstream, Fred, it was led there by the social reengineers.
The only reason the media is going nuts over the "nation divided" crap is because the left did not win the election. Had they won, the mainstream that we see is the majority would be called the extreme Christian homophobes or something and brushed aside. Now, though, the media has to say something other than, "Darn, the brainwashing of the last 50 years hasn't sunk in as well as we'd hoped!"

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 02:58 AM
link   
I hear you TC, but here in California and esp in the SF Bay Area, its really is mainstream, so Im really speaking from my experiences in this area. My guess and its a guess mind you that it will but a few states that accept or change thier laws on this issue.

join