It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atlantis!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Well, if you haven't been paying attention to the news lately, this is hot off from the presses at CNN.com:

www.cnn.com...

Basically, they've used sattelite sonar imaging (AVP, anyone?) to find a sunken city, under 1500 feet of sediment, about 80 miles away from Cyprus, which apparently fits Plato's description of Atlantis extremely closely.

Anyone have more information about this discovery? Will this get David Icke and Robert Anton Wilson selling many more books? Probably.

[edit]Hmm, now that this thread has been moved, it seems that there are already several similar threads open
[/edit]

[edit on 15-11-2004 by Don Armageddon]

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Just saw it on the Italian news too!!!

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 05:50 AM
link   
saw it too very interesting maybe we finally found the lost city.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 06:08 AM
link   
If this is indeed Atlantis, this would have been the biggest find in human history. What a great find, I'm just so astonished. I remember watching this guy talk on the Discovery Channel.
Here's another link: story.news.yahoo.com.../ap/atlantis_discovery_claim

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Kewel!

And how does this tie in to all the other predictions?

What effect will the re-discovery of Atlantis have on mankind
other than selling lots of books?

Anyone know?

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 06:51 AM
link   
heck i get lost in my own city lol.this is great now. what will we do with the new lost city?maybe open up a new place to scuba dive...

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I wouldn't write it down just yet.. It DOESN'T match SEVERAL of Plato's points.

For one, Plato described a continent of kingdoms (and a large one at that), with a capital city.
The city was located midway on the continent's longest side.
The city was surrounded by mountains, and alternating belts of land and sea.
There are many, many other points as well here that don't match and he'd have to find the red, white, and black stone there too.

All he's showing so far, is that the temple described by Plato, shares similarities with the one found. Well, the pyramids at Giza are pretty similar to each other too, as are ziggurauts of Central America. It's JUST as possible that the temple found was merely an outpost of Atlantis, and so had a similar temple there, etc.

This is the portion of Plato's dialogue, describing the temple....

The palaces in the interior of the citadel were constructed on this wise:-in the centre was a holy temple dedicated to Cleito and Poseidon, which remained inaccessible, and was surrounded by an enclosure of gold; this was the spot where the family of the ten princes first saw the light, and thither the people annually brought the fruits of the earth in their season from all the ten portions, to be an offering to each of the ten. Here was Poseidon's own temple which was a stadium in length, and half a stadium in width, and of a proportionate height, having a strange barbaric appearance. All the outside of the temple, with the exception of the pinnacles, they covered with silver, and the pinnacles with gold. In the interior of the temple the roof was of ivory, curiously wrought everywhere with gold and silver and orichalcum; and all the other parts, the walls and pillars and floor, they coated with orichalcum. In the temple they placed statues of gold: there was the god himself standing in a chariot-the charioteer of six winged horses-and of such a size that he touched the roof of the building with his head; around him there were a hundred Nereids riding on dolphins, for such was thought to be the number of them by the men of those days. There were also in the interior of the temple other images which had been dedicated by private persons. And around the temple on the outside were placed statues of gold of all the descendants of the ten kings and of their wives, and there were many other great offerings of kings and of private persons, coming both from the city itself and from the foreign cities over which they held sway. There was an altar too, which in size and workmanship corresponded to this magnificence, and the palaces, in like manner, answered to the greatness of the kingdom and the glory of the temple

First and foremost, Plato ALREADY ADMITS that he is changing the names, etc. to those of Greek gods, before going into the tale of Atlantis...

Yet, before proceeding further in the narrative, I ought to warn you, that you must not be surprised if you should perhaps hear Hellenic names given to foreigners. I will tell you the reason of this: Solon, who was intending to use the tale for his poem, enquired into the meaning of the names, and found that the early Egyptians in writing them down had translated them into their own language, and he recovered the meaning of the several names and when copying them out again translated them into our language. My great-grandfather, Dropides, had the original writing, which is still in my possession, and was carefully studied by me when I was a child. Therefore if you hear names such as are used in this country, you must not be surprised, for I have told how they came to be introduced

I'm assuming that the architect has found simply a submerged temple, that is a stade in length, 1/2 a stade in width, and a 1/2 stade tall. (this may well be the dimensions of the one in Athens also, I'd have to check) If this is the temple of Atlantis (or even a similar one) then he is about to be a wealthy man with all of the materials mentioned above. However, since Plato is actually speaking of a temple for foreign gods (barbaric in appearance) and assigning Hellenic names to them...it's my contention that he simply tried to impress upon his Greek audience that this was a grand temple to their gods, filled with gold statues, etc. and that some of this is actually embellishment on Plato's part for the sake of narrative. I believe that since the story of Solon didn't have the details, and only described the grandness of the temple, Plato sought to describe this in the mind's eye of his listeners using familiar gods and embellishing the details.

Then of course, he'd have to establish the large plain of Atlantis, the surrounding palaces and temples, etc.

[edit on 15-11-2004 by Gazrok]

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Covered here thanks.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Closed.

new topics

top topics

join