It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian ‘Pirates’ Offer NASA Help in Times of Crisis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 06:02 AM
link   

MOSCOW, October 4 (RIA Novosti) - The Pirate Party of Russia has offered NASA the use of its dedicated servers to temporarily host the US space agency’s website as it has been shut down “due to the lapse in federal government funding.”

Full Article: en.ria.ru...

With foreign interests willing to support US infrastructure it will be interesting to see if Obama holds face and continues holding the country at ransome. We will have to see what happens when assets such as National Parks and government websites are voluntary hosted, ie the people choose how they want to spend money as opposed to how the government sees fit.

Mods, Please move, accidently created it wrong section
edit on 7-10-2013 by phantom150 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 06:27 AM
link   
This is just a publicity stunt. No way Obama would do it and no way could they have the space to hold so much data.
Also, the logistics of setting up the systems to match NASA data and structure would be more than a nightmare.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by phantom150

You realize this isn't a serious offer, right? This is as much a stab and in our face slap to the absurdity of the situation our Government has created as anything. Read the article... It's offered to avoid PRISM? NASA? Really?? One has absolutely nothing remotely conceivable to relate to the other. Different worlds that have no overlap....yet mentioning it makes the salt sting a little more.

You could offer NASA a Cray Supercomputer to host on and they couldn't take it, even if they wanted to. It's a federal site, to get into the specifics...and carrying as much classified and confidential material as anything. That's just the practical reason they know too, for why it's an offer to slap with, not to give something by.

Ouch.... I appreciate their humor and I'd probably do the same in their position if the roles were flipped. In fact, we DID do the same in the early 90's when the roles WERE flipped, come to think of it. It wasn't sincere then either. Just salt to the wound of a collapsing empire, at the time.
edit on 7-10-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 06:45 AM
link   

lol

"North Korea offers to feed the world's starving children"

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I'm aware it was a stir to upset the system!

It did get me thinking though, what if 'the people/ rightful owners' of the resources that have been cut decided to actually decided to play ball and said "Its ok Obama, we'll manage these parks by ourselves or at a state level".

It doesn't take a genius to figure that the resources cut were designed to inflict the worst possible disruption to the public without compromising the integrity of the country as opposed to their ranked actual monetary cost and were exaggerated to do this, as shown by rangers told to barricade which cost more as opposed to leaving them open.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   

I agree entirely about states having to reclaim their own land and resources. Washington has spent generations making it very very attractive to cede control and deed the land to the Feds because it defers cost too. Money... EVERYTHING always comes back to money. So, the states have sold their Souls and heritage for extra federal dollars each year.

Yes... I couldn't possibly agree more or in stronger terms with the idea of taking back what the Feds never had charter to 'own' in the first place, by our system. They had to take it ...and it had to be given. It's time to take back and the 10th is the basis for how to do it.

People outside the nation tho? Like the Russian "pirates"? Well... Pussy Riot's members are still suffering hard labor camp time for a mere protest. Gays are being beaten down into the pavement with no recourse against the attackers in many cases. This is happening all over Russia. They have things right there at home to focus on...and as bad or worse than our problems, is my thought.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   

phantom150

With foreign interests willing to support US infrastructure it will be interesting to see if Obama holds face and continues holding the country at ransome.

That's an incredibly biased political statement considering it is the tea party (subset of the republicans) preventing the budget from being voted upon.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by InsertNameHere

Please be nice I'm only a spectator from down under, to be 100% honest I strongly dislike both sides of the US government.
From how I see it, the Federal government as a whole is just as guilty as one another with the shutdown being a deliberate ploy for both parties to fulfill their own agendas at the expense of the people who ultimately are made to suffer. Its not like airforce-1 is on ebay and the government are cutting back on there spending!

There certainly is no obligation for the people to put up with such childish play and from how I see it I'm genuinely surprised more people haven't stood up and tried to prevent the United States drifting into the position it is in from such a strong country.

@Wrabbit2000
I fully agree with you on Russia's policy's, they certainly aren't the beacon of freedom they have tried to portray recently.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   

phantom150
reply to post by InsertNameHere

Please be nice I'm only a spectator from down under, to be 100% honest I strongly dislike both sides of the US government.
From how I see it, the Federal government as a whole is just as guilty as one another with the shutdown being a deliberate ploy for both parties to fulfill their own agendas at the expense of the people who ultimately are made to suffer. Its not like airforce-1 is on ebay and the government are cutting back on there spending!

There certainly is no obligation for the people to put up with such childish play and from how I see it I'm genuinely surprised more people haven't stood up and tried to prevent the United States drifting into the position it is in from such a strong country.

Personally I agree about the US political system being rotten. I have particular issue with the lobbying system that persists (and strongly dislike the equivalent that occurs within my own country). I am from the UK myself, although my wife is American, and by association I have extended family members affected by these cuts.

That said, I don't see this as some sort of cost saving conspiracy. My understanding is that the only reason this is happening is because a tea party member is leader of the house of reps and refuses to call a vote on the budget on the basis that they are strongly opposed to more funding going towards public health care. It is estimated that the bill would pass if held right now as the tea party do not represent the views of all republicans on this issue. It's petty bloody mindedness over a single issue.

It's the equivalent of a minority party in any government somehow preventing a law from being passed even though they don't have the numbers of elected members of parliament to win in a vote by circumstance of being able to control what's getting voted on. A bizarre mechanic to exist in the political repertoire of the supposed leaders of the free world.

Maybe some political genius will come along and advise me that I'm wrong and clarify on the precise mechanisms that are at work, but pretty certain Obama is in the clear on this specific matter (other than the discussion in regards to whether adding riders to bills like this should be allowed in the first place).

Just wanted to clarify.
edit on 7-10-2013 by InsertNameHere because: Aparrently spelling is not my strong point.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Nice offer, shame others can't offer to run the whole country for them instead of the joke that is constantly played out every 4 years to let the people think they're in control. And just to add insult to injury, the U.S. was sold out from under the peoples feet decades ago.

And btw, thanks America, because over here in the U.K., we now have Tory scumbags in power that want to turn Britain into America.
edit on 7-10-2013 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Hasn't 'Google' already done this routinely with the wayback machine? True, it's not updated, but most folks just want to look old stuff up, anyway.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Obama or not, like they'd really agree!

Surely if this happened, the Russian's would gain access to everything NASA possesses long term, by copying/stealing valuable data and in turn, using it to their own advantage?

Never.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   

taoistguy
This is just a publicity stunt. No way Obama would do it and no way could they have the space to hold so much data.
Also, the logistics of setting up the systems to match NASA data and structure would be more than a nightmare.

Well said. Star for you. By the time it was complete, the shi...er...shutdown would be over anyway.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   

phantom150

Being as Australia is a perfectly run country and all it's citizens are happy with their government do you have any advise for the American people on exactly how to stand up to this? Because short of writing to our representatives, voting for the person we think is best for the job, boycotting when we can and attending activities to voice our opinions, we're kind of stuck. So what did your citizens do to create the ideal government/citizen relationship?

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   

taoistguy

I know you're kidding right... Your home computer has enough power lol, moving this is no big deal from IT perspective. We do this every day in international business, no big deal.

And i bet it is a real offer.... They have half stake in ISS and need nasa to pull it's weight.

The Bot

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Any agency that accepts voluntary resources during the shut-down would be in deep doo doo...

The Antideficiency Act prohibits federal employees from

...accepting voluntary services for the United States, or employing personal services not authorized by law, except in cases of emergency involving the safety of human life or the protection of property. 31 U.S.C. § 1342.

Source

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by taoistguy

They could, you never know.

new topics

top topics

join