Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Whats going to happen if the shutdown isnt reversed? (military, VA disability, SS pay)

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I'm not trying to pick or poke or jab or offend, I'm not making fun of anyone....

If y'all are worried about not getting paid, I suppose if you hadn't overextended yourselves to begin with it wouldn't be a problem, but it's really difficult not to become overextended with the prices of everything going up constantly.

A very large part of the economic problems here are because people have been forced to be more frugal, the government has to learn the same lesson.

Don't worry about it, everything will be fine, but you have to let it be fine.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
The reason the "debt ceiling" is a dog and pony show is that it has only recently even been a talking point. Politicians like that most people don't understand what the debt ceiling is. Neither side is stupid enough to allow the U.S. to default and this is a very good thing. The gamesmanship up to now is pathetic, but that is what this version of Congress has become. Pathetic.

With the current shutdown, it is only people trying to file ssi claims, or businesses who have government contracts who are hurting. As "essential" personnel, I'll get paid eventually. If the Senate follows the House vote, my colleagues at home will get paid eventually as well.

As for the debt ceiling, I think the impact of a U.S. default would not only have an effect in the U.S. It would be worldwide. Who knows, though? It's never happened. I sure hope it doesn't happen this time, and I don't believe it will.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   

MyHappyDogShiner
I'm not trying to pick or poke or jab or offend, I'm not making fun of anyone....

If y'all are worried about not getting paid, I suppose if you hadn't overextended yourselves to begin with it wouldn't be a problem, but it's really difficult not to become overextended with the prices of everything going up constantly.

A very large part of the economic problems here are because people have been forced to be more frugal, the government has to learn the same lesson.

Don't worry about it, everything will be fine, but you have to let it be fine.

I gave up credit cards/credit period back in '88. I'll be the first to tell you that living on a cash only basis is hard nowadays. One medical emergency and you are up the creek without a paddle...even if you do have insurance.

I know all about being frugal.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Krystian

I am actually worried about inflation more than a deafault on the debt. That will happen if the government does not get spending under control. That is why I feel it's reasonable to ask for a plan for reducing the deficit. The government won't let us go into default.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I wouldn't be surprised if this "shutdown" was all setup to give them an excuse to steal all the money in Social Security and claim they had to or else the US would default on it's debt.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by SourGrapes

This leads me to conclude that the IRS is NOT an "essential" program.

Only parts of the IRS are non-essential...like those employees that would be taking your calls.

You can be sure that the collections part of the IRS is in full effect.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Moderators please erase my post. The stupid youtube link didn't work.

It was a link to a video from Batman showing the joker talking about what will happen when the chips fall down. 'They'll eat eachother'
edit on 8-10-2013 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by SourGrapes

And, if the ACA stands as it is, most of us Americans will default on our bills and eventually go broke. There is no win here. No matter the outcome, whether they negotiate or do not negotiate, raise the debt ceiling or not raise the debt ceiling, continue with ACA as is or make changes; no matter what happens over the next month. WE ARE SCREWED!

I won't default on my bills, I have budgeted well and prioritized correctly.

If you can't afford it, you will get subsidies to help pay for it...I've seen the subsidies and if someone still can't afford it after those, then you are just mis-managing your money.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join