It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going to happen if the shutdown isnt reversed? (military, VA disability, SS pay)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

If the USA defaults there wont be any jobs for anyone excpect a very small minority of people.

Whole bank balances and saving could just go poof and disapear.

Read up on how dire things got in the great depression. Its not pretty and the USA resembled the 3rd world.
Hard work did not save the USA then, it was a world war and some of FDR social programs.

Imagine the caos if 50-70% of people in New York or Los Anegles or Chicargo Suddenly find themselfs out of work? Thats what will happen if the finacial sector collaspsese. Banks wont just cut back they will go bang. The million employed in this area will be screwed. Well excpet the ones at the top who will have there money in safe offshore acounts of course.
edit on 7-10-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   

HomerinNC
I got an email from my bank, USAA, saying that if the shutdown isnt reverse or continues on thru the 17th of October, all those receiving fed checks are going to not be paid.
Is anyone worried? I get 100% from the VA and if we dont get paid for next month, I am screwed. My crediotrs arent going to use that as an excuse.

Anyone fully dependant on fed check? How are you preparing?

Don't worry. Any lenders or financiers who don't give a break to people due to the shut-down will be run out of our nation by nearly every American citizen when it's all over. There would be no way they could stay in business after that.

In fact, I imagine the opposite. I think they will extend help (or be passive) with those people and then publicize it the most so they can air sentimental commercials about "that time they saved Americans" years down the road. Most likely they'll have Bob Sieger singing in the background.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Do not let the propaganda get to you, my husband is a retire Marine and he has not received yet any letters of any lapse on his check.

Still as of today all DOD personnel are back to work, SS checks, Medicare, Medicaid and disability can not be stopped even under a shut down I has posted plenty of information as why, is t under the law, so do not let the scaremongering get to you.

edit on 7-10-2013 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by k21968

Active duty military did not get paid in 95-96 shutdown. We were in Germany with a 4 month old baby and my husband did not get Dec 15 or Jan 1 military pay. We had to borrow from relatives and pay them back when he got paid retroactively. It stunk. BAD>

I was on active duty at the same time as well, stationed up in Alaska, and dont remember missing a payday.
This was when Clinton was in office, right? This was when the Monica Lewinsky thing happened, correct?

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   

I was on active duty at the same time as well, stationed up in Alaska, and dont remember missing a payday.
This was when Clinton was in office, right? This was when the Monica Lewinsky thing happened, correct?

I was active duty and stationed in the United Kingdom, during that time. I've been sitting here wondering why I didn't remember any missed paydays. I'm cursed with an infallibly complete memory of nearly everything I've been exposed to. Because of that, I just wasted at least 30 minutes wondering how to make myself believe timelines can change.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   

My husband was a active duty Marine during this time also and did not lost any pay, yes delays can happen but no pay lost

Also this time military personnel was considered "essential" so it will not delay, neither lapse or stop, pay will be in time.

I wish people will read more and keep themselves more informed on what kind of scaremongering propaganda is been use, is plenty of information that tells the truth about what can be delayed or not during the government shutdown.

The administration has lied about SS checks payouts, disability and many other things.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Do not let the propaganda get to you, my husband is a retire Marine and he has not received yet any letters of any lapse on his check.

Still as of today all DOD personnel are back to work, SS checks, Medicare, Medicaid and disability can not be stopped even under a shut down I has posted plenty of information as why, is t under the law, so do not let the scaremongering get to you.

I'll second that no letters were sent out about a future lapse of military retirement checks.

I went to the VA hospital a few times last week, and the talkers where all afraid of not being paid. It looks like the scaremongering has worked.

I want you to be right, and everyone will get their check on time. Unfortunately, I'm not so convinced that a shutdown would not cause any delays. If the people operating the check machines don't go to work, because of a shutdown, people will most certainly not get paid on time. Everyone will eventually get their money, but not on the day they have come to expect it. Even Mr. President, and the happy go lucky folks of congress, would be experiencing a delay.

You are right by saying the law does not currently allow for missing payments. A delayed payment is not technically missing.

Edited to add: Apologies to Marg6043. Your most recent post was not present, when I started typing this post. I would not have replied if I had seen your acknowledgement of a delay.
edit on 7-10-2013 by tamusan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Well here in Arizona, Jan Brewer has stopped welfare. The feds say they will pay it back , when it is over, but she refuses to use the emergency fund.

Same lady, when the state of AZ got money that was supposed to go to underwater home owners, kept if for the state instead.

She is supposed to be a republican, but ya got to wonder!

My brothers pay was stopped. He works in a Federal Prison.

So he is currently working , to support his 4 kids and wife who just had a baby for free.

edit on 7-10-2013 by amatrine because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Dianec
reply to post by AlienScience

I appreciate your sharing all of that with me. It appears that some are confident the celining will be raised. If each side knows that this is only a bargaining chip and will ultimately raise the debt ceiling it would seem it isn't a real bargaining chip - simply because it is known they won't allow a default. So how does it become anything more than a game? It comes down to "who will be the hero and cave first?"

Are any that stubborn to not cave in? Who do you think will give in at the last minute? Again - it seems there is confidence that someone will since there is so much at stake.

edit on 7-10-2013 by Dianec because: Spelling issue and formatted differently.

The issue isn't that either side doesn't think the debt ceiling needs to be raised. The issue is that each side thinks that the other side will blink first because they think if we default it will be the other side that looks bad.

Republicans think Obama will blink because even though they know they are the root cause of the debt ceiling not being raised, they think that since Obama is President that it will reflect badly on him and so he will cave.

Democrats know Republicans are the root cause of the debt ceiling not being raised and think the public knows this as well. So if Republicans let us default, Democrats are confident that the public will rightly blame the Republicans.

Each side thinks they are right, no one has any motivation to blink first. And whoever blinks first won't be seen as a hero, they will be seen as weak by both their supporters and their opponents.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   
well as a person who is independently surviving off my own meager income. with no assistance or breaks. paying into programs that I know won't exist when I need them years from now. watching others suck it dry and watching politicians make it worse.

my situation could only mildly be hurt if the fed money never came back. in fact it mat even improve.

I didn't use to have this " well to hell with you, I need to worry about me" additude. but its getting harder watchhing my efforts at hard work and responsibility doing nothing to improve the big picture. Im at a point where I need to be selfish

to hell with everyone on assistance. you had your chance, either it didn't work, or shouldn't have worked, that's no longer my concern.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I'm with you Beezzer!
My family will also step up to help, and I know others that will as well. There are still good people out there.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   

AlienScience

It's not the shutdown that you need to worry about, it is the debt ceiling.

All the shutdown does is limit the government to operate on essential business only, which includes so called "entitlements". The government continues to collect taxes and can continue to sell treasury bonds to increase revenue. The shutdown just means that appropriations to specific projects have expired and no new money can be appropriated to projects/agencies...so those agencies/projects need to operate with the money they currently have. As the shutdown continues, more and more employees will be furloughed as they burn through their capital and more and more services will be discontinued. But checks going on should never be cut because those don't need funds appropriated to them.

I've got a tax issue from 2011 that I need to get cleared up. I've been calling the IRS phone number that was listed on the letter they sent me, for the past week. If I call during regular business hours, the message says they cannot take my call right now (no "try again later, or leave a message and someone will contact you"...nada). If I call after hours, I get a completely different message telling me their office is closed and says to call back during regular business hours (8am to 8pm).

Today I called the normal IRS phone number 1-800-IRS-1040 (instead of the one I was given) and this number also has a message, only this one is a little different. This message states the government shutdown as their reason for not taking calls. This leads me to conclude that the IRS is NOT an "essential" program.

That is good to know.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   

I see where the fear lies more now - it is quite possible pride will override anything else - thereby sending us into this next depression (only worse). I would think they would look better by being the side to budge (either) but when you put it as you do it makes it a real concern. If they were all not constantly campaigning this problem would not exist - they wouldn't care about appearances.

I know this has affected some people around me pretty badly; psychological effects mostly. Those in government jobs have truly been afraid of this not being settled (even those in state jobs although I would think it would take longer to affect them). I received two panicked phone calls today - just to talk about what may happen.
One lady I know helps the elderly and disabled who are understandably confused/worried. My sons school told him today no Halloween party. I asked if he knew why. He said its "because of their budget" but I find that hard to believe - I mean how hard can punch and cookies with a couple of extra staff on be? I think that is an excuse to not have to deal with the holiday but it shows how people are either using this or are in a state of panic.
Although not related (I don't think), one client had her food stamp benefits cut in half and is letting her car go back so she can feed her kids. Another client applied and was refused last week. I know she makes under 1,000 a month and has children so don't know what that is about.

I believe those who have taken a psychological hit thus far know know that we cannot underestimate the power of pride. No more than we can greed. If this will affect any of them as badly as us - someone will blink. If they would not be as affected I'm not so confident any longer. Regardless - I know why they were watching the stock market today. People are freaked out.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   

AlienScience

palmalBlue2

Have to ask.....does the Economic shutdown start on the 17nth or until we 'officially' run out of money and actually start defaulting on or near Nov.1st?

The actual debt ceiling was hit way back in May 2013. The Treasury has been using "extraordinary measures" in order to keep paying our bills. These include a lot of re-investments that the Treasury decides not to re-commit to...which screws us in the long run.

The "x date", or the date where the Treasure runs out of extraordinary measures is Oct. 17th. That is the drop dead date, that is the date where we run out of money to pay all of our bills. I think the last I heard we would be able to pay about 60% of our bills.

So the 17th is the date where the SHTF...there is no buffer after that.

And, if the ACA stands as it is, most of us Americans will default on our bills and eventually go broke. There is no win here. No matter the outcome, whether they negotiate or do not negotiate, raise the debt ceiling or not raise the debt ceiling, continue with ACA as is or make changes; no matter what happens over the next month. WE ARE SCREWED!

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

Is ok, I know delays can happen but just remember it will be a few days, if that is too happen, when it comes to SS, Medicare and Medicaid or disabilities, is a priority in a shutdown.

So do not lose hope.

Also, take comfort knowing that the US has never defaulted in its debt so I expect this whole pony show to be over if not by the end of the week at least before the 17, disability, SS and retirement are send on the end of the month so as far as I know this month checks will be in time.

By then you will know which way things will go if the death line is reached without any agreements, so don't worry until the 17 comes and go with nothing done.

By then we all be in trouble, I mean the entire nation.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

maybe some Billion=Aires can open up some soup Kitchens,, or better yet,,

edit on 10/7/2013 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by amatrine

Federal prison workers are essential personnel, unless your brother falls under certain code then he could be affected.

But I am sure that even the prisoners need to eat, so I doubt that they will go hungry under a shutdown.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   

crazyewok
reply to post by BobAthome

If the USA defaults there wont be any jobs for anyone excpect a very small minority of people.

Whole bank balances and saving could just go poof and disapear.

Read up on how dire things got in the great depression. Its not pretty and the USA resembled the 3rd world.
Hard work did not save the USA then, it was a world war and some of FDR social programs.

Imagine the caos if 50-70% of people in New York or Los Anegles or Chicargo Suddenly find themselfs out of work? Thats what will happen if the finacial sector collaspsese. Banks wont just cut back they will go bang. The million employed in this area will be screwed. Well excpet the ones at the top who will have there money in safe offshore acounts of course.
edit on 7-10-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

I am under the impression our bank accounts are safe. These were protected after the Great Depression. Are you saying if the 17th comes and goes without resolution (unlikely) then we could see these emptied out? That sounds like theft to me.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Dianec[/i

I am under the impression our bank accounts are safe. These were protected after the Great Depression. Are you saying if the 17th comes and goes without resolution (unlikely) then we could see these emptied out? That sounds like theft to me.

Yeah it theft but would you put it past those in power? When has morals ever stoped them?

Plus it doesnt have to be "theft" to be emptied. It could be emptied by the doller crashing to hard it becomes worthless. The US doller is only worth what people think it worth. If the US defaults people could decide its not worth the paper its written on in which case you will end up with hyper inflation and that $100,000 saving acount or pension fund you have will end up be only worth $2. If that happend then the US could scrap the doller and install a new currencys like they did in Germany. Of course anyone with the old dollers will just be left with usless scraps of paper.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Dianec

But with a rapid decline in the dollars worth, you wont be able to buy anything with said dollars.

If you have 10k in the bank and bread shoots to $2000 a loaf well then...
edit on Oct-05:00am3108 by Krystian because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join