It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going to happen if the shutdown isnt reversed? (military, VA disability, SS pay)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 05:46 AM
link   
I got an email from my bank, USAA, saying that if the shutdown isnt reverse or continues on thru the 17th of October, all those receiving fed checks are going to not be paid.
Is anyone worried? I get 100% from the VA and if we dont get paid for next month, I am screwed. My crediotrs arent going to use that as an excuse.

Anyone fully dependant on fed check? How are you preparing?

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Same boat here.

If I don't get my disability for the month, I don't know what I'm going to do. My body is not well enough for me to go to work at all. My wife has been looking for work desperately and there is nothing around.

I get disability from the VA also but its not much. Still every little bit helps with the way the world is today, everything just keeps costing more and more.

It seems that the only services that are indeed "shutdown" are the ones that people need/like.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   

From what I understand, there will be no lapse in anyone receiving their checks.

Our government runs on a deficit all the time. To state that checks cannot be provided for those that need them is false.

Our government provides billions in aid across the globe, the government pays salaries of all it's political members without a delay, it takes in billions constantly from the high taxes that we all suffer under.

To make any claim that disability checks, VA checks, social security checks won't be generated is placing individuals as hostage. Not that our government wouldn't do that, but even the slimiest pol has some shred of self preservation and would not put his political carreer at risk.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   

What's going to happen? You're going to be S.O.L. until they come to an agreement. That's what's going to happen. Personally, I hope they tear themselves apart and alienate themselves even further from the populace. Of course I'm only partially serious. Best case scenario would be that they shove the American populace into the arms of a third party the next couple election cycles. It's a real bad situation all around, especially taking into account future considerations. I hope these people are a lot smarter than me and they've gamed this thing out, because from my perspective it's not looking good.EDIT TO ADD: And if there is one thing they won't touch it'll be anything related to military personnel or vets. You want to turn the base of your power against you in a heartbeat that's the way to go.

edit on 7-10-2013 by GD21D because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

From what I understand, there will be no lapse in anyone receiving their checks.

Not this month. It could happen however if this "shutdown" continues.

To make any claim that disability checks, VA checks, social security checks won't be generated is placing individuals as hostage. Not that our government wouldn't do that, but even the slimiest pol has some shred of self preservation and would not put his political carreer at risk.

Unless each side keeps blaming the other for the shutdown. Then it's just a matter of going along with the crowd. I don't think one side would have a problem with holding peoples checks ransom if they can blame it on the other side. They have to keep up the illusion that they don't both ultimately serve the same agenda after all.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

There is no logic or "have to" with a lot of what is happening, is there? Much of this is for infliction of pain to the greatest extent possible within individual lives.

Perhaps instead of asking MUST or CAN this happen by necessity of the shut down...we need to ask CAN they DO this if they actually WANT to add it into the pain of the process?

I don't know the answer to that but it may be an exceptionally painful wake up call to some people in finding out how badly Uncle can make it hurt.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

reply to post by Cancerwarrior

I almost hope that they do withold all checks.
(now hear me out before the beatings commence)

If they do "hold out" and continue their stupid little theatre, then the only recourse for most would have to be to rely on a neighbor, a friend, a community.

I would pay people's bills (as much as I could afford) I would help feed those that went hungry. As would millions of others.

We would finally show DC that we don't effing NEED THEM!

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   

I'm not sure what will happen.

It's difficult for me to gauge how this will affect me while I'm deployed.
Sometimes I wonder whether I'm safer here in Afghanistan with the way things are going back home.

What's funny is that unlike most civilian federal employees, if I don't get paid, I still have to work. There's no choice in the matter. The government is screwed. At the end of the day this whole fiasco abroad needs to be reigned in. It's simply too cost prohibitive to continue. That's to say nothing about the fiasco at home, which needs to be reigned in as well.

There just isn't any money and we can't afford to keep kicking the can down the road hoping for a magic bullet to kill all the demons we face at once.

Hang in there man.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I don't think the lack of checks will make most turn to their neighbors for help but turn to them to victimize. After all, we're a world far from the days of Ozzy and Harriet, or even the idyllic world (by comparison) of some 90's shows. We're just in a dog eat dog world, for the most part ...woof!

I think what will happen though....it will push a multitude more people into direct action for the 2014 and 2016 elections. I don't mean violence or stupidity on steroids. People know my feelings toward the little psychos running around and calling for violence. However, there are levels of PISSED OFF...and we're not too far from where NO ONE forgets anything a year from now or 3 years from now ....and who wins? who loses?

Well... I don't see R/D distinction in the 10% Congressional approval rating. The public hates 'em all. Obama hasn't had much for kind treatment in audiences his people didn't stack, pack and manufacture for the purpose in almost a year now.

Yes..good things will come in the end of immeasurable pain the holding of checks will cause. It'll have to.... too much harm will be done for nothing good to come of it.

edit on 7-10-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Call or write certified mail your debtors and inform them of your situation. First ask them if they will skip a month due to your circumstances. Let them know you will catch them up when Gov catches you up. Many companies 8ncluding m9rtgage companies will move your loan 5o the right a m9nth or so. They dont really want to have to reposses anything.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I assume the vultures (creditors) are already circling the wagon. That aside, this is getting old. We elected them to do a job and that job is to do what is best for America not for their egos. I know they are capable of acting mature and coming to some kind of compromise. A compromise that should have happened way before any word of shutdown surfaced. Instead they are playing with people lives knowing that the average person doesn't live high on the hog as they do. They are playing with fire and as far as I am concern, they done got burnt because come election time, I will not vote for either party. They can KMA.

Peace

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Sometimes I wonder whether I'm safer here in Afghanistan with the way things are going back home.

To be honest, I fear for you guys in Afghanistan the most. You're in the worst tactical situation since any screw up in World War II...it's just not a bluff which has not been called yet. It never would be, if blood wasn't in the water and sharks gathering to feed...on us.

The thing is....If air corridors are shut down by the CIS and Pakistan, as we've seen happen more than once now? What happens to you guys? Form a convoy to head to the Khyber Pass? If our troops made it there in numbers to get out ...then what? Fight across Pakistan to FINALLY reach a beach where fighting or permission isn't required to see another American face and transport out?

I think I'll feel better when every last one of you are home ...and not a second sooner. It feels like the ultimate piece of cheese in the trap....and you're the cheese with a busted trap.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Was no one on ATS alive in 1996 during the last shut down when all checks were still sent out?

OK lets play the "what if" game. What if no ss checks or what if no disability checks go out?

What if no military checks go out? Does anyone think any member of any unit are going to get up at 4am for PT if their checks stop coming, let alone go out on patrol in Afghanistan where 4 just died from an IED and take the chance that their families won't even receive the 250,000 life insurance?

The politicians are power hungry asshats but they are not stupid, take away the last thing that keeps people docile ( money) and the pols lose their power. The checks will keep coming because that keeps the politicians in their elected seats.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I don't know about VA benefits, but I do know that a friend of mine told me her SNAP benefits were cut right in half this month. It was a shock for her and her family. She is working, her husband is very ill. I knew that SNAP was going to see cuts starting in November, but apparently they have started the cut already.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   
I find the dire predicament of the people in the US very concerning.

The US government appear to be acting like little toddlers fighting over ice cream.

But then I wondered 'why' would they behave so shamefully?

~Are you sure that YOU are not being distracted from something.........because if you are not just being distracted from something then your govt has, in the old English phrase, 'lost its marbles.'

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   

beezzer

If they do "hold out" and continue their stupid little theatre, then the only recourse for most would have to be to rely on a neighbor, a friend, a community.

I would pay people's bills (as much as I could afford) I would help feed those that went hungry. As would millions of others.

I have to disagree. The "Screw you I got mine" mentality is very pervasive in this day and age. I believe you when you say you want to help, but most people are busy keeping their own heads above water and taking care of their own families.

I have a mother that has been helping out with gas to go for treatments and bills when we are short some months. Thank God for her is all I can say, if anything happens to her, care to help me out with the electric bill next month? Its turning cold here finally.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Cancerwarrior

beezzer

I have to disagree. The "Screw you I got mine" mentality is very pervasive in this day and age. I believe you when you say you want to help, but most people are busy keeping their own heads above water and taking care of their own families.

I have a mother that has been helping out with gas to go for treatments and bills when we are short some months. Thank God for her is all I can say, if anything happens to her, care to help me out with the electric bill next month? Its turning cold here finally.

Just U2U me. It's all good.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Here is an article about how the shut down could delay SNAP (food stamps) for November

www.houstonchronicle.com...

Food stamp recipients in Texas need to prepare for a reduction in benefits with or without continued gridlock in Washington but nutrition programs for pregnant women, new moms and babies aren't in immediate jeopardy.

A prolonged federal government shutdown might delay November's disbursements to millions of Texans, but a planned cut to food stamps - the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program or SNAP - already was set to begin next month.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   

beezzer

Cancerwarrior

beezzer

Just U2U me. It's all good.

Damn, Beezzer!! I trust you more than I trust my own government. Are you volunteering as an ATS focal point for financial aid?

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   
There is an entire automated system that sends out checks for va benefits, social security, military pay, etc. after 10/17, these checks will still go out; but some of them will bounce due to insufficient funds. There is a limited amt of $ that comes in to federal coffers from taxes, fees, govt sales, etc. After 10/17, the govt will prioritize which chks get funded. Most economists believe the govt will pay all bondholders first because not paying that would have the most significant impact on the us economy. I am not saying I agree with the decisions made, but these r the facts. One economist has even suggested that if the govt defaults, all other enforcement entities would also be unable or non existent to enforce any other rules or regulations, such as foreclosures

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join