It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The last time a human stepped on the moon was 1972. Why?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
The reason that we haven't been back to the moon is very simple. All one must do is look at the historical setting, and why we went to the moon in the first place. Initially there was the space race with the USSR, and great public support. That support waned after the very first successful lunar mission. Just look at Apollo 13. Hardly anyone was paying attention to that mission, until of course the explosion happened and they weren't sure if they could get them back home. So by that time public opinion was already waning to a significant degree.

And another huge factor was the funding. The cost to send a spacecraft to the moon is astronomical. It just did not make financial sense at the time, when there was not much support. And then there was the danger factor. Even though NASA had come a long way in spaceflight safety, nothing was foolproof.

And the last biggest factor was the fact that the moon rocks that were brought back showed that the moon was not very interesting. We have rocks like those on earth. The winning of the space race also played a big factor I believe.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
i have always wondered the same thing. yes, some of it had to do with funding. but with our superior technology, it would be much easier. but it is not in man kinds psychological make up to go some place and do not return. just imagine if colombus never returned to the americas? there is nothing in antartica, yet we have people and bases there. no, there is a very real reason why we have not returned.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by blackthorne

Exactly! You made some valid points, especially about Antarctica. Really I also wonder why no other countries appear interested in exploring our moon.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by droid56

I think we are persona non grata up there...catch my drift?

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
So how do you explain the fact that NASA lost all the video tapes from Apollo? The most expensive movies ever made of our most monumental technological achievements just disappeared or were "degaussed"? I don't buy it...

www.wired.com...

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Of course we have been back to the Moon, we are on the Moon now. Only a complete foolish mortal would believe otherwise. We were there prior to 1969, but the public lunar landing was just a circus side show put on for the sheople.

The Top Secret Black Space Project has been there the entire time. The Moon is just one of many current base camps within our Solar System. Enjoy your IPhone technology, it's origins are from another World.
~$heopleNation

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by phlyonwall

The most expensive movies ever made of our most monumental technological achievements just disappeared or were "degaussed"? I don't buy it...

How about the tapes from Australia? Those didn't disappear.
www.cosmosmagazine.com...

How about the 16mm film movies? Those didn't disappear.

How about the video and 16mm film from the missions other than Apollo 11? Those didn't disappear.

edit on 10/8/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
There is nothing of "general" interest on Moon which would make it such an event as it was during the cold war. It was also/mainly a matter of pride.

The only interest in Moon today is the idea to use Moon as a possible future base for space exploration, eg. to launch missions from etc., to build bases on there, using the resources like possible water we found there recently.

For the average person, there is indeed not much interesting on there. For me, even as a space buff, it's rather uninteresting - it's too close to earth to be interesting as opposed to say, travel to Mars etc... I don't think I would follow coverage of a new Moon landing closely, it would actually be comparatively boring.

Also..ANY space mission will have risks, especially if humans are involved. So or so, sending people to moon and back will STILL be a significant risk, even after 40+ years. And there is nothing which would justify this risk really. Moon rocks? You can send a robot up there IF someone really thinks that Moon rocks are interesting and they'd need a few pounds of them, for whatever reason.
edit on 22013R000000TuesdayAmerica/Chicago47PMTuesdayTuesday by NoRulesAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by droid56

It's simple actually. It's a waste of time, money and resources. Thousands maybe millions of gallons of fuel, billions of dollars...we got better crap to worry about then some giant rock.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   

NoRulesAllowed
There is nothing of "general" interest on Moon which would make it such an event as it was during the cold war. It was also/mainly a matter of pride.

I disagree, it was Man's craving to explore Space as well, not just the Cold War crap.

The only interest in Moon today is the idea to use Moon as a possible future base for space exploration, eg. to launch missions from etc., to build bases on there, using the resources like possible water we found there recently.

That is just some of the interests. There are many more that the public is ignorant about.

For the average person, there is indeed not much interesting on there.

Who is the "average person", You? There are plenty of people who are interested in our little Satellite. If you mean morons who could care less about looking up at night, then yeah I get your point because there are plenty of those half dead empty souls who would just rather watch the one way sewer pipe that leads into their homes instead these days, but we Humans were meant to look up at the stars regardless of the stupidity of the masses.

For me, even as a space buff, it's rather uninteresting - it's too close to earth to be interesting as opposed to say, travel to Mars etc... I don't think I would follow coverage of a new Moon landing closely, it would actually be comparatively boring.

"comparatively boring"? With todays technology and video coverage? Nothing personal my friend, but you sound boring.

Also..ANY space mission will have risks, especially if humans are involved. So or so, sending people to moon and back will STILL be a significant risk, even after 40+ years. And there is nothing which would justify this risk really. Moon rocks? You can send a robot up there IF someone really thinks that Moon rocks are interesting and they'd need a few pounds of them, for whatever reason.

So what then, you just land on the moon in one area and then write off whatever else might exist on the other side or even closer? You mention "risk", well I guess it's better to risk thousands and thousands of lives for some Oil that some Internationalists can make a profit off of eh?

You see, they want people to think like you do, and they forecasted it very well. Correct me if I am wrong, but no matter how hard I try I cannot comprehend your argument.

In fact, I say that you're wrong about the average person not being interested in a present day lunar landing. I also say that it would be covered by almost every single channel. ~$heopleNation
edit on 8-10-2013 by SheopleNation because: TypO

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Evanzsayz
It's simple actually. It's a waste of time, money and resources. Thousands maybe millions of gallons of fuel, billions of dollars...we got better crap to worry about then some giant rock.

Yeah we do, Like how The Redskins need to change their racist name! Obama should continue to push for that. What the hell was JFK thinking anyway? LMAO!
~$heopleNation

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   

If you mean morons who could care less about looking up at night, then yeah I get your point because there are plenty of those half dead empty souls who would just rather watch the one way sewer pipe that leads into their homes instead these days,
reply to post by SheopleNation

Nothing personal my friend, but you sound boring.

You see, they want people to think like you do, and they forecasted it very well. Correct me if I am wrong, but no matter how hard I try I cannot comprehend your argument. In fact, I say that you're wrong about the average person not being interested in a present day lunar landing. I also say that it would be covered by almost every single channel.

Is this all you have. Attack, attack, attack.

No substance, just you are right.

ATS is better than this.

Perhaps you need to reflect a little on what discussion is all about.

P

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   

pheonix358
Is this all you have. Attack, attack, attack.

No substance, just you are right.

ATS is better than this.

Perhaps you need to reflect a little on what discussion is all about.

P

Well you sure jumped the gun there bub eh? Who the hell did I attack, a quote at least maybe, yuh think?

Oh, when I mentioned morons who don't look up at the sky at night, well that was not the person I was responding to, cause they made it clear they are a space buff. = Epic Fail.

Listen, try to use some reason here before overreacting over something that has nothing to do with you. You having a bad day or night, I hope not my friend. I was talking about people who don't ever look at the stars. If you're one of them, too bad then.

Also, I know what the discussion is about, I have attacked nobody. What I have done is made a logical argument that defends the fact that we should be back on the moon, which we are anyway, but that is another story.

So again, calm down, quit trying to start trouble when there is none. You need a hanky? ~$heopleNation

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   
The aliens told then to keep their asses off this planet!

reply to post by droid56

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   

droid56
It happened over 40 years ago. Technology has significantly improved in the past 40 years. The safety of a moon mission must now be much greater now than it was then. So why no human moon missions for so long?

Is the answer that there is nothing more to find there? You know that isn't true.

My conspiratorial suggestion as to why there hasn't been a manned mission to the moon in over 40 years is that we were told to stop by a non-human someone that can not ignored. Think dark side of the moon.

Your question is perhaps more perplexing than you even realize. Although I wasn't alive during the first manned mission to the Moon...from what I've seen in videos, articles, and second hand accounts....is that during this time, not only was the United States rushing to get to the moon, but NASA, the US government, and the media were in a MOON FRENZY.....and made it seem like the possibilities were ENDLESS. Not only were we supposed to go to the moon, but we were told that our first few visits to the Moon were just the BEGINNING. We were supposed to have bases on the moon, and all KIND of projects going on.

The fact that we went to the Moon, and then all of sudden , out of thin air, we never went back, says something. I forget which astronaut Art Bell or George Noory talked to, (I think it was George), but he and one of his quests Stephen Greer, who runs the Project Disclosure thing, BOTH said they talked to this astronaut who told them both he LITERALLY could not REMEMBER what happened when he went to the Moon. Both George and Stephen said this astronaut telling them this, both on SEPARATE occasions, was one of the strangest things to happen in BOTH of their lives. Here is an astronaut, one of the FIRST MEN ON THE MOON, and he can't remember how it all went?

I've also heard that many of the people who have gone into space, or on the moon, ended up giving very few interviews, and Buzz Aldrin (HES the one I'm talking about btw, just remembered) actually became like a recluse.

Anyway, my WHOLE point, is what exactly happened that caused us to go from wanting to practically turn the Moon into our playground.....and all of sudden abandoning the Moon entirely. SOMETHING had to happen.

Now, this COULD be due to other reasons. Perhaps it wasn't economically feasible (I DOUBT this is the reason), or perhaps once we got to the moon, we realized there really wasn't much to do after that.

Or, perhaps it was really all about us competing with the Soviet Union, although that doesn't make sense....because the cold war didn't end till much later.

Whatever the reason we stopped going to the Moon is, I think it is a fascinating question to ponder.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by droid56

In my humble opinion you are basically correct.We are prisoners here.We are quarantined.
Thats why we have a secret space program.
But Open defiance is the answer.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Agit8dChop
Why would we waste time and money to send more people to the moon?

I don't believe there's life there, some other race or massive 'structures'.. amateur astronomers would have photos of them already

So the dark side of the moon isn't real?

I'm not an astronomer, so forgive me if I come off as really ignorant on the subject (I am...but I love to learn). I was always under the impression that the dark side of the moon is real, and it is the part of the moon that we can never see from Earth, based on the way the moon orbits Earth.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   

SheopleNation
Of course we have been back to the Moon, we are on the Moon now. Only a complete foolish mortal would believe otherwise. We were there prior to 1969, but the public lunar landing was just a circus side show put on for the sheople.

The Top Secret Black Space Project has been there the entire time. The Moon is just one of many current base camps within our Solar System. Enjoy your IPhone technology, it's origins are from another World.
~$heopleNation

Yes everybody it is quite true! Only a "foolish mortal" would DARE to think ANY differently than what this poster proposes!!! You foolish mortals and your logic. ALL OF YOU, DIRTY, DIRTY MORTALS!

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   
The main reason why we haven't been back is.. ITS A BIG ROCK... It costs a buttload of cash to get there, and after the first "lookie what we can do" It just doesn't payoff like it use too...

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Agit8dChop
Why would we waste time and money to send more people to the moon?

Helium 3

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join