It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The last time a human stepped on the moon was 1972. Why?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 12:56 AM
link   
It happened over 40 years ago. Technology has significantly improved in the past 40 years. The safety of a moon mission must now be much greater now than it was then. So why no human moon missions for so long?

Is the answer that there is nothing more to find there? You know that isn't true.

My conspiratorial suggestion as to why there hasn't been a manned mission to the moon in over 40 years is that we were told to stop by a non-human someone that can not ignored. Think dark side of the moon.

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by droid56

Correction. No publicly known manned moon missions since then. I'm sure the military already has a base up there.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

Possibly true. But why not any lower tech missions to the moon to satisfy the public?

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Maybe it was because the Military Industrial Complex found no military value in sending people to the moon and funded something else. Surveillance satellites and the space shuttle program were much more suitable to their needs.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by droid56

Well, because the story they are selling is that they are focused on Mars. If they lead people to believe the moon is a waste of time, everyone focuses on Mars, and the Naval Space Command can operate on Luna with impunity.
Just a guess, but it makes more sense to me than because they were warned off by aliens. The aliens would be better suited to camp out in our deep waters here on Earth or in some of our enormous, deep caverns for reconnaissance.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by droid56

No one was interested.
Funding dried up because no one was interested.
There were newer things to do and spend money on.
They almost lost a crew, did not want to do that, publicity like that may have maimed NASA.

P

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 01:17 AM
link   
No one was interested. Maybe. But for 40 years no one was interested? A new moon landing would get HUGE ratings. You know it would.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Well, besides the possibility that there was several massive alien craft there watching when we arrived, and the possibility that they made it clear that we weren't welcome, and the difficulty getting through the Van Allen belts without glowing in the dark, and the fact that when they did go, besides setting up a few simple experiments and playing golf and riding around in a dune buggy, it was kinda boring....

no reason to go back.

Actually, re-reading what I just wrote, going to the moon sounds an awful lot like some family reunions I've been to. I don't do them anymore, either.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Kind of boring possibilities might not be what scientists would say.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Van Allen Radiation Belt is why. Look it up.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

The public became bored of another moon mission, they stopped watching. Ratings were better for TV shows down here than another moon landing, another pile of rocks and guys dancing, playing golf and riding dune buggies up there. As presented it was that boring, I remember it being boring. It was like what are they spending all that dough on it for?

Calm down, I am only relating how I remember the consensus at the time in the media. This was the time of Tricky Dick's Water Gate, Vietnam, the CounterCulture and a ton of protests. Another expensive moon shot was seen as a waste of resources to do the same things over and over.

The difference in cost to advance Lunar exploration to the next phase (bases) was enormous and totally out of the question.

As far as going back, the cost today of that would be ginormous. And guess what. They are finding out that to go back would require the same design specs as they used back when. Because that is the exact design you need to go to the moon, the way they already did it.

I'm not sure we're good enough today, and I am positive the funds aren't there.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 01:49 AM
link   

droid56
So why no human moon missions for so long?

Nobody cared anymore.
This page here describes the television coverage of Apollo 17.

TV networks didnt bother to cover the stepping onto the lunar surface, and very little of any of the EVA activity was shown at all.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

really so it is all about what the people want .....really...?...that is a new concept as far as I know

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Apollo 17 was the last manned lunar mission NASA was committed to, and they had been cutting back on the program slmost before first landing. No sooner had we gone than people started questioning the value of going again.

No manned missions does not equate to lack of interest. NASA continued to send unmanned probes to photograph the surface and prrform experiments and one is on the way therr right now.

China, India and Japan have all sent probes, and private companies will be there before long. How does this work out as "aliens warned us off"? (Clue: it doesn't).

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by droid56

I think it is because there is no short term financial profit in it and capital will not chase anything if the short term profit is not there.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 02:30 AM
link   

droid56
It happened over 40 years ago. Technology has significantly improved in the past 40 years. The safety of a moon mission must now be much greater now than it was then. So why no human moon missions for so long?

Is the answer that there is nothing more to find there? You know that isn't true.

My conspiratorial suggestion as to why there hasn't been a manned mission to the moon in over 40 years is that we were told to stop by a non-human someone that can not ignored. Think dark side of the moon.

And the reason why you have not set foot in the sahara desert is..

The sand people scared you off, right?

Oh yes.. has to be, we all know there is silicon gold in the desert... But you've been warned off.

Has to be the truth.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 02:35 AM
link   
They don't wanna go there cause they don't want to fake it all over, it takes alot of effort to fool everyone..
I'm not saying that they didn't go there, i'm saying they faked 90% of the footage and heavily edited the remaining 10%.
I have no idea what happened, but they clearly don't wanna take the risk of going back..

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Somethings fishy with the moon!!

fishy moon.avi
www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9_3l5XpMac
www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 02:55 AM
link   

signalfire
Well, besides the possibility that there was several massive alien craft there watching when we arrived, and the possibility that they made it clear that we weren't welcome, and the difficulty getting through the Van Allen belts without glowing in the dark, and the fact that when they did go, besides setting up a few simple experiments and playing golf and riding around in a dune buggy, it was kinda boring....

no reason to go back.

Actually, re-reading what I just wrote, going to the moon sounds an awful lot like some family reunions I've been to. I don't do them anymore, either.

Not to break your style of cynicism, but as the saying goes "Just because your dreams have died doesn't mean you have to take mine with you."

We set foot as a species on an alien, desolate, inhospitable world. I don't know what else we have accomplished that's greater as a species (more efficient ways of killing one another?).

It's your opinion that it's 'boring.' Collectively, it's monumental for a sentient race, and a hell of a lot more historically sound and *gasp* relevant/important rather than blatant corruption and unparalleled apathy.

Why we haven't gone back is, to say the least, a reasonable question, and I'm sorry but I don't believe any entity or person on this planet has the right over me to know what possibly was found up there.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 03:18 AM
link   

eManym
Maybe it was because the Military Industrial Complex found no military value in sending people to the moon and funded something else. Surveillance satellites and the space shuttle program were much more suitable to their needs.

Actually, that is not entirely accurate. If you look at it from purely a tactical/strategic view point the moon is the ultimate in "high ground" You can observe, intervene and even retaliate to almost any situation from that stand point. If they "did" have military forces of some kind stationed on the moon, you could easily launch a strike anywhere on the planet either being from kinetic weapons (i.e. missiles, particle based weapons etc), energy weapons (near vacuum of space would work wonders), to deploying assault ground forces to anywhere, since most defensive grids are looking at the outer boarders and horizons and not space. This is not mentioning the surveillance that could be done from there.

I personally believed we DID go to the moon, I am on the fence as to weather or not we did send black missions there I do not know. I do think it would be a worthy project, albeit the nations of earth did say that the moon was off limits for anything military wise, but when has that stopped any nation from doing something that it wasn't allowed to do...

Now when we did go to the moon, did we find something, my gut says more than likely, just what it is I dunno, I would like to know, but chances are no one on earth minus a select few will ever truly know.

Grim

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join