It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robots to Look after the Elderly and Sick

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Not sure if this has been posted.

But as the elderly are living older and people are not having children who are looking after them into their ripe old age. It would seem, every old person might be appointed a personal robot.

Is this a good idea?
Progression?

innovation.uk.msn.com...

What if less people get trained up in Mc'donalds and more people get trained up in the caring professions? Or are humans now " above" caring for others.

I personally feel its a terrible idea and that if its the case that more people need to be nurses and carers then surely , they should force people to do this job, because its their needs that will be have to be met at a certain stage.

Rather than let tons of people be qualified in areas where there is no work.

Usually immigrants tend to do these jobs.
edit on 6-10-2013 by FreedomEntered because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by FreedomEntered

Hey, that's actually a great idea! Doctors up here in Quebec keep complaining that there's just not enough doctors, the demand is too high... these robots could actually help transfer some of the burden instead of being used as soldiers in some future destructive robotic war. Use their superhuman strenght for Life instead of for Death.

Great innovation!

S&F!

edit on 6-10-2013 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   

What if a robot that was tasked with a complex surgery suddenly malfunctioned? Swinging its scalpel arms wildly at the patient

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by hknudzkknexnt

Not only malfunction. But also the emotional cues of a patient. For example, as old people are always in one place, they need the " emotional interaction" from humans. That could all end too.

I believe there is great prejudice towards old people and its only getting worse.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   

hknudzkknexnt

What if a robot that was tasked with a complex surgery suddenly malfunctioned? Swinging its scalpel arms wildly at the patient

What if a human didn't have a good day, was distracted, and makes an error and cuts the wrong artery?

If anything, robots have less chances to be in a mood and make mistakes. All they have to do is access their memory, account for variables, do the job, end the job. Then they just do it all over again. They never get tired. Never get mood swings. They just do the job.

edit on 6-10-2013 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Robots to look after us? I suppose the kids will be involved in programming them. That is all I would need, my daughter programming a robot to make me do Yoga.
Forget it. I got enough problems being ordered around by the cats.

I suppose I could easily reprogram the robot to drink beer and play poker. Better yet, maybe I can get it to make beer and moonshine.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

More kids should go into the care profession. Youngsters rather....
edit on 6-10-2013 by FreedomEntered because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
One word, IRobot. I'll pass on any robots looking or caring after anyone or anything.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   

hknudzkknexnt

Looks like its a nurse , not a doctor performing surgeries

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
It needs to be tested and modified before I would test one out.

I use caregivers. I don't however need a nurse administering meds or bathing me. I do that myself.
If this thing can cook, put the trash out, fold laundry and change my sheets. Pick me up off the ground when i fall. I'm very light, so I don't think it would topple over on me. I would give it a try.

Ultimately though there should be more caregivers out there.

I could see this robot could be dangerous or turn on you.

To be honest I didn't think cripples were considered useful to keep around. Only the fittest survive mentality. I worry about that, should the shtf . I don't think they would put me on Mars or any other terra formed planet. I couldn't run away and hide.
What's the catch here?

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   

FreedomEntered

But as the elderly are living older.....

The average human now lives 1.2 (one point two) years longer than they did in 1821.
Take into account the advances in medicines and medical procedures, and that means we actually live SHORTER lives!

The 1.2 figure comes from insurance company data. I'll post it if I can remember where I found it.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Interesting maybe its an experiment then?...

An excuse to bring in the robots and who better to practice on than the vulnerable elderly. Who cant say no.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by violet

Who knows what the catch might be?

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   

I agree with the thought I think you are trying to pursue, Freedom.

It is called "care" for a reason. There are many things to automate in this world, but human interactions for those who desperately need and deserve them isn't one of those things. Is grandpa so unimportant that he is only worth the time of a robot?

The world we live in is growing so impersonal, and the connections between people are becoming more tenuous. We have no need to exponentially accelerate those trends.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   

The last thin we need is robots. The elderly are the best chance for us to get full employment.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   

slumsociety
One word, IRobot. I'll pass on any robots looking or caring after anyone or anything.

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking, lol!

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Robots eat old peoples' medicines for fuel. This will never work.
edit on 6-10-2013 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

I thought robots would just need some oiling and they would be off again!

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Have we become that self centered and disrespectful that we cannot care for our own loved ones?

... sometimes, I hate society!

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Nope, they are a hazard for seniors. There's an actual youtube video that proves this, but on the iphone I can't get link id codes. I'll post this stunning proof later when I get off shift.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join