It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good LEO encounter in Pawnee National Grasslands while Open Carrying

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I have a a ranch in NE Colorado. We are mostly surrounded by the Pawnee National Grasslands. We are at the end of a small road, the last few miles being private property. Needless to say, we don't get a lot of vehicle traffic. So this morning (Sunday) when a 4-door sedan cruises by and continues past the lodge up to the shop area, turned around, and then parked, I was more than a bit curious.

I jumped in the truck, a large white F350, and drove up to investigate. I parked strategically, with the engine block between myself and the potential threat. I asked the two men to exit the vehicle and I approached, making sure they were well aware of my sidearm. I asked for some ID and was pleased that they were some friendlies -- a couple of DHS agents. I asked what their business was and they reported that they came up from Texas and were assisting FEMA in determining the extent of the local flooding.

They were very lost. The roads around here don't exactly have street signs and they were about a mile outside their intended county. I instructed them on how to get back to their area and after a brief detention, let them go on their way. At first, I think they assumed I was LE. I think our boys from Texas were a bit taken back by citizens who open carry, but nothing about that was mentioned. All in all, it was a very friendly, cooperative encounter.

I just proves that if you are a LEO and are being briefly detained by a law abiding citizen, it is best to just show your ID and cooperate fully. Especially if you're on private property and do not have a warrant.
edit on 10/6/13 by AnonymousCitizen because: lessons learned

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousCitizen

And that's how it is supposed to happen.

Great positive report on responsible citizen watchfulness as well as common sense officer deference!
edit on 6-10-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

new topics

join