It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Encouraging US to use more more more oil

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I remember watching a movie in 1987 about the future, "Robocop." In it there's an ad for a car called the 6000SUX "Bigger is Better" with a note that says "8.0 mpg." Now we all laughed in the theater because back then the idea of a 21st Century vehicle getting 8.0 mpg was satirical.

Now, though, many of the most popular vehicles are getting just slightly over 8.0 mpg. H2 and the large SUVs come to mind.

Also we used to have the 55 mph speed limit nation wide and cars were produced with the speed '55' highlighted on the speedometer to remind people of the national speed limit. This was to save gasoline.

I'm not sure when, but it seems America has digressed on the conservation issues, and consuming oil in vehicles at ridiculous 10mpg highway rates is popular.

So what happened, why are Americans urged to consume more oil than in the 80s?

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I really don't know if it's a conspiracy or not, but those big 'ol SUVs are like status symbols or something aren't they?
Maybe it was pop culture that encouraged it.
All those videos with the cadillac escalades (insert "blingbling" here, lol).

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by elaine
I really don't know if it's a conspiracy or not, but those big 'ol SUVs are like status symbols or something aren't they?
Maybe it was pop culture that encouraged it.
All those videos with the cadillac escalades (insert "blingbling" here, lol).

All I know about the status of an SUV is that I was watching cable TV at work and they had an SUV ad. It was showing how the advertised SUV could cross humungous pot holes. Then a competitor SUV driven by a man with an attractive woman in the passenger seat tried to cross the puddle and got stuck. And the guy looks disappointed and the girl said "It's OK, a lot of guys have trouble with that." So yeah it's advertised directly that bigger car = more sexual potency and power.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 11:19 PM
link   
That's a good point.
I live in the South and I do know that the guys around here have their macho discussions about whose truck is bigger or more powerful. MPG is usually dismissed or ignored as a topic. It's about how the thing can pull something or how tall the tires are. I think it's ridiculous. And it does kinda sound like they're compareing their .........sizes sometimes.

[edit on 14-11-2004 by elaine]

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a lot of women drive SUV's too though

i think for alot of people the change started with the advent of more fuel effecient cars in the 80's and early 90's. my freinds ford festiva comes to mind.

these cars were smaller and lighter to save on fuel effeicncy but if you got in a accident your fuel efficent car was gonna get manhandled by just about anything on the road.

i drive an old jeep with steel bumpers, i got rear ended and thought my car was gonna be seriously damadeged, until i got out and saw the car behind me. that poor ladies fuel efficent car was trashed, and i had 3 paint scuff marks on my bumper.

i think for alot of people its a trade off between saftey and effciancncy

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 12:29 AM
link   
perhaps you haven't been paying attention. there is just as much a push to drive hybrid cars, and other more energy efficient vehicles, these days in america. everyday we're told you'll be hip and trendy, just like the hollywood crowd, if you save gas and drive a prius. among some an H2 is seen as a status symbol, but among other groups so are the hybrids. by the way, robocop wasn't about the future. it was set in the future, yes, but it was merely a sci-fi flick made during the times when robots and such were cool.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by astroblade
by the way, robocop wasn't about the future. it was set in the future, yes, but it was merely a sci-fi flick made during the times when robots and such were cool.

Um, the movie subtitle was "The Future of Law Enforcement." It was set in the future, so how can it not be about the future? PS: Robots are still cool.

Arnie's in the Hollywood crowd. He drives a Hummer.

Women drive SUVs because when they're gossipping on their cells phones while putting on makeup on the way to work, they don't have time to watch the road and want safety.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Why are there so many SUV's in America?

If you were in an accident, what kind of vehicle would you rather be in? a tiny gas sipping car or a large well built SUV? answer SUV

If you want to haul around large supplies what kind of vehicle works better? answer SUV or truck

If you want a vehicle that can also haul alot of large people around what works good? answer minivan or suv

How concerned were most people with gas mileage a few years ago? answer: virtually nil

While I myself don't own an SUV but opted for a sporty but smaller car, I can see plenty of reasons for people to buy an SUV.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I despise the SUV's and the pickup's that are not needed. Unless you are hauling stuff or kids, use a car.
I don't care about the oil angle, I just can't see around you when you are driving in the left lane with your phone screwed to your head, blocking me from doing my typical 20 to 40 miles per hour over the posted speed limit!
How's that for fuel consumption for you, huh?

Tell those darned Indians and Chinese to quit using so much of the oil we've taken for granted was ours to guzzle!

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 08:00 AM
link   
My mother was trying to talk me into buying a SUV, she said it is easier when I am moving, I was like "how many times I am going to move? If I move, I will get a U-haul instead." She shuts up after that.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I actually saw one jackoff with an H2 that had a license plate that read '1 mpg'. Those osamamobiles sure do look nice tho.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 10:02 AM
link   
We just had a slew of those new 'hybrid' cars launched in the UK that do 80mpg.

Sorry but when I look at people who use those SUV things and vans as their 'car', I can't help wondering what those people are compensating for.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 11:13 AM
link   
When we run out of oil and the US economy collapses we will know who to blame, and that's the one bit of solace I will get from this, that some people are actually going to really deserve this #.

new topics

top topics

join