It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The shut down just got me! Arg!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by AbleEndangered

You know what is interesting, I spoke to a friend who told me that while you are furloughed, you are not paid and you are not allowed to find another job, either, since you are technically employed - in addition, you cannot get unemployment. Also, you can not quit since there is no one to fill out the paper work.

However, you can resign. So a lot of people are doing that.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Maybe this is all just a way of the government saying "yea you guys make fun of us and dont want us...but look at how much you need us..muahahah"

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 01:24 AM
link   

amazing
reply to post by JacKatMtn

If only ...the tea party the occupy movement.. they both want the same thing but never come together..why?

Because people who belong to the Tea Party believe in working for their rewards. People in Occupy mostly want to sit around and complain.

Did you see the Occupy dude defecating on MY FLAG!!!!?

I believe in the freedom of speech. That went beyond the category of speech and into the reality of expression. If he's free to express himself, I should be too. My method of expressing myself when somebody is taking a dump on my flag, is to aim for the legs and abdomen and empty the entire magazine.

Suffice it to say, Patriots and bums are like oil and vinegar.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

That dude defecating on your flag?

Well, it's his flag also.

Look, I don't want to start a pissing contest, I can list plenty that I don't agree with (Occupy)

But isn't it time we just focused on the big issues and stood together?

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   

beezzer
reply to post by Snarl

That dude defecating on your flag?

Well, it's his flag also.

Look, I don't want to start a pissing contest, I can list plenty that I don't agree with (Occupy)

But isn't it time we just focused on the big issues and stood together?

Beezzer ... nothing but respect for you, brother ... but that's a line I WON'T cross.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

Everyone has their own line, I will respect that.

I just wish we could focus on our common issues and not focus on the differences.

Props and much regards,

beez

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Spot on.

And more, 30 years ago there were no online search engines for databases.. it had to be done somehow. I'm not sure if everything is completey online now, but there must be the old way?

I don't like how reliant we've become on something that should be a utility. not a necessity.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 02:10 AM
link   
As a federal employee I have felt the effect since the beginning. Federal employees are the average U.S. citizend and actually paid less for the same position. The outrage about us being paid more came after NSPS (National Security Personnel System) had been in effect for a while. That was a pay banded system so theoretically a GS-07 could be paid as a GS-11 (and in practice many times) because they fell in the same pay band.

That is gone now but people were promised to retain pay by the federal government so many people are highly overpaid for the actual work they do. However, all new employees are underpaid when compared to the civilian sector and as a result we get, many declinations for federal positions because they cannot make as much money as a new federal employee as they can as a civilian.

Federal employees seem to be scapegoated as the enemy when we provide an actual service (as opposed to congress and senate). Apparently now they voted we will get paid for the time furloughed where we wanted to work but had no choice and have not been allowed to. Although I refuse to have anything related to congress or the senate. They are the only people that can get paid on a regular basis for not performing their actual job.

I found a link with contact information in order to volunteer for a homeless shelter. If I am going to be paid by the U.S. I damn well will be doing something for the U.S. citizens. I've been wanting too for a while and apparently have no reason to save any time for work right now. This is pathetic, we do not want to not work there is no excuse for not allowing federal employees to perform a valuable service when you already decided to pay them. I will likely continue with volunteer work once we actually can work again but I am totally disgusted right now with both sides of the government. This may be the push I needed to do something I always wanted to but this is pathetic.

Congress and Senate are worthless and negatively affecting the entire country. I refuse to be apart of this horrible policy so for now I will work voluntarily. After we get back to being able to work than maybe I can claim that it is completely to help someone else with no personal gain, for now they will pay me with your and my taxes so I intend to make it worth while.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 03:42 AM
link   

inquisitive1977
Federal employees seem to be scapegoated as the enemy when we provide an actual service (as opposed to congress and senate). Apparently now they voted we will get paid for the time furloughed where we wanted to work but had no choice and have not been allowed to.

Something else that may be fair to mention in relation to the rest of your spot-on post:

All the work you didn't get to while you were furloughed has simply piled up ... but, you'll be expected to have it all completed before your annual eval comes due.

Some people just want to resent you. Funny thing is is that no one knows why ... even them.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

Definitely, not only that but many things got screwed 6 ways from Sunday because of the shutdown. Some systems were shutdown for things that we are legally required to check. Work I have done may not even be any good anymore.

Although a coworker and I tried pointing out issues to our director, the only mission essential person. He will raise some things and maybe we will have a way forward when we get back but who knows.

We will probably have to work to untangle this cluster f*** for a while first before we are even able to do all of the piled up work.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Hey, LM is going to fold the tents here next week, so I get to go home and see my family for a bit. It's sort of ok by me as long as it doesn't drag on forever, but even if it does, I'll just segue back into doing commercial stuff.

These days, you can't get stuck doing either civvy or military jobs, they come and go.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I have friends camping out west and the rangers shut the water and power off then left 4 days ago. Later a ranger came back and turned the water and power on because everybody had paid then he left telling everyone they were on their own. Sewer is running out of an overflow but other than 30 more people moving in for free camping nothing is different.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   

amazing

If only ...the tea party the occupy movement.. they both want the same thing but never come together..why?

While they do indeed agree on a few issues, the reason they don't come together is due to the fact that, while the "Occupy" movement is staunchly opposed to having the uber wealthy 1%ers run this nation, they are also opposed to having the dumbest 1%, (namely the "Tea Party") run this country.

edit on 6-10-2013 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Flatfish

amazing

While they do indeed agree on a few issues, the reason they don't come together is due to the fact that, while the "Occupy" movement is staunchly opposed to having the uber wealthy 1%ers run this nation, they are also opposed to having the dumbest 1%, (namely the "Tea Party") run this country.

Touché ... I hope everyone sees that even I can be brought to the negotiating table and agree with the opposition time-to-time.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by amazing

The Obama administration wants to make people feel as miserable as they can make them, that means you.

So this whole pony show will be over by the end of next week before the death line Oct. 17, I think you can be a bit patient and wait before looking on information and contacting a government agency to start your business.

After all even when the government offices are working the amount of bureaucracy and paper work coming from the state level on starting a business will have your head spinning for months.

Good luck in your endeavor.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
You know as an IT professional it really is quite sad.

These website servers are still online. They are hosting the placeholder pages that tell you things are "Shut Down" when in reality they are simply blocking access to the server data.

Government shut down or not, the government has their OWN servers, tools that are already bought and paid for and are ready to stay in use regardless of how much money flows into them. There is zero reason that budgeting of any kind would force these web sites to close their doors. It is simply to force the hand of the people to suffer for this ridiculous "shut down".

Don't buy into the BS. These web sites are down on orders alone, not because they have no money to stay running. It is all a ruse.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I'm a couple thousand miles away and I'm affected. I'm trying to get an EIN number, using form SS-4/calling IRS, and with the shutdown the IRS lines are down, so not a chance for now.

That said, it wasn't like the international process for getting an EIN via the IRS was easy or timely in the first place.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Yeah my friend put in a passport application but they want some kind of, imo, unreasonable documentation above and beyond multiple proofs of ID and notarized documents to prove who the person is.

So the application was rejected and the fee is unrefundable until this information is sent. Trouble is with the shutdown, you can't get a live person to help explain and help, and the application fee expires in a certain number of days.

Amazing, considering the number of people who travel abroad and who need passport processing that the passport office would not be seen as essential.

I really feel for those workers who are near retirement and waiting to be vested by the system. I can imagine them saying 'oh you missed your vesting by two weeks so you only get partial retirement'.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by evc1shop

Your city or county should have the most recent floodmaps of your area.
If that's all you need just trot down to city hall and make a copy.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

No, unfortunately, it is not that easy. ATS member, JackKatMtn, was able to point me toward the form but now I need to have an elevation survey done. It is annoying for me since I am currently renting that home while residing in the twin cities for a while.

When the policy was first put in place years ago, the agency didn't even need to sell me the FEMA flood insurance but slowly, and surely they have required more of my $ to keep my 125yr old house insured. It is located right along the Northern/Westward bank of the Skagit River in Mt Vernon and is actually on a 500yr flood plain, one of only a few homes in the area that are, the rest are on the 100yr grid.

About 4 years ago they made me get the flood insurance on it as a mandatory item and now, my paying almost 1/2 extra per year with regard to my current home policy isn't good enough. I haven't paid in enough to cover the rest of their losses in the country and now I need to comply or not be able to keep my mortgage lender happy. It is such a racket, just like when I refi'd a few years back and the appraiser stood in my driveway and could tell the value without walking around or in the structure which actually lead me to finding a different lender for the refi after the "American" bank I was using told me that he was a professional and we should trust him. He never even saw the large outbuildings (40' x 40' winterized workshop) and a 15' x 20' potting shed/greenhouse. I am taxed on them so I know they factor into the value somehow.

Anyhow, I do not mean to derail his thread and I have the form I need. Thank you all for your input!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join