It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The shut down just got me! Arg!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   
So, all this government shut down crap, for me and for many people...I suppose...it just doesn't have any effect on us directly. Not really. I don't think anyone I work with has had an issue. I'm not going to a national park on holiday, I'm not in the military, I'm not a government worker, I'm not on any kind of government program of any kind. I'm good to go. Right? But then...I'm trying to start a business, so I took advantage of the online business form and I had to find this code which directed me to a federal website and BAM! No dice...LOL big message that the website was down and would not be operational during the shut down. I won't go into specifics and I found a work around but...It's just ridiculous...both side playing games and sooner or later it's going to get you. Just had to rant. I was upset for a moment. Playing political games...but there's plenty of money to spy on us and build military bases with no one in them and fund FEMA camps with no one in them and buy millions of round of ammo etc, etc etc....but try to help jumpstart the economy with a new business...or get a world war II vet to get into an open air memorial or...Arg!

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   
My friend does data on water flow for a private corporation, and because the federal databases are shut down, he is not able to get his water flow data for work.

He said there are a lot of private companies that are not able to access online databases for research, even on economic data and stuff like that.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

Less Knowledge less danger,, yup ythats what i always said,, first thing u know they will all be wanting to be able too do math,read and and write,, knowledge,,,how do u spit on here? dang contraption,, lol sorry had too,, the Madness, part got me

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
My Allstate Flood insurance center just mailed me a form requiring more NFIP (National Flood Insurance Program) requirements or my policy renewal will not be granted. The links they gave me point to documents that are either unreachable or have a December 2009 Expiration notice watermarked across them. Can't seem to get very far with what I need to resolve in the next 30 days. The phones all go to voicemail stating that they will be able to help as soon as the government reopens for business.

I'm sure things will get worse before they improve, now I just need to remain calm and try pursuing other avenues to get it done.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I just spoke with a Federal Worker that was just about ready to retire, and he is scared to death he will lose his retirement.

All I can do is think and pray for him and others in the same boat.

Can the Federal Government do the same thing to its pensioners that Enron did to theirs?

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by evc1shop

It gets you in ways you never thought it would and couldn't have prepared for. Not entirely. Good luck.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   

evc1shop
My Allstate Flood insurance center just mailed me a form requiring more NFIP (National Flood Insurance Program) requirements or my policy renewal will not be granted. The links they gave me point to documents that are either unreachable or have a December 2009 Expiration notice watermarked across them. Can't seem to get very far with what I need to resolve in the next 30 days. The phones all go to voicemail stating that they will be able to help as soon as the government reopens for business.

I'm sure things will get worse before they improve, now I just need to remain calm and try pursuing other avenues to get it done.

which form did they request, I can try and track one down... I am a yellow belt of google fu

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
No kidding! Got me today when I went to the National Weather Service website today top check the weather. It's such pansy game playing by "Obiteme". It's so obvious in this example because they say "since the govt had to shutdown, you can't see the weather....but wait! Since we're so nice we'll go ahead and show you...even though we really can't because of the shutdown." WHATEVER! they can keep their martyrdom, I'll just go to Accuweather...

(I can't figure out how to post a pic on this new get up)

+10 more 
posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
When we have become reliant on government just to perform simple day-to-day tasks, then government has become too invasive, too involved into every and any aspect of our lives.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

And that's just how they want it no?

What started as their offer of help has turned into dependence. Is it too late and too far gone to break the cycle?

Wish I knew the answer.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   

beezzer
When we have become reliant on government just to perform simple day-to-day tasks, then government has become too invasive, too involved into every and any aspect of our lives.

It is my sincere hope that this is the conclusion that we all draw from this example.

Thanks beezzer!

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

One of them is a Flood Elevation Certificate which they show as available from www.fema.org/library/viewRecord.do?id=7408

which, by the way, is now at least functioning to a degree. Yesterday, there was an encoded response string output to the browser in raw text and no site headers, body, footers for the page listed at all. I just checked to verify the URL and it now brings me to a PDF brochure showing me how I could save up to $90,000 over the next 10years if my structure is elevated to more than 3' over BFE (Base Flood Elevation).

Of course, up until about 3years ago, I didn't even need to carry a flood policy and now it's mandatory and costs almost as much as my entire homeowners policy does. Seems I was saving up to $90,000 before FEMA stepped in.

I still do not see the document I need but the brochure mentions that I can get it from my local floodplain manager. I will check into it tomorrow.

Thanks!

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

No doubt, this should be a BIG wake up call to the folks....

What they (DC) are pulling might be able to do what some folks have been ranting about for years...

Get folks from every divisive issue[/], every corner of the political spectrum, to agree that OUR ENTIRE FED GOVT needs to be put out to pasture....

Get folks in there who will pass a budget, whittle down the out of control spending, ignore lobbyists, wall street, big banks, and the crisis creating THINK TANKS....

Back to basics time... let the pundits blame either side til they are blue in the face... it's finally getting to the point that the folks are considering that ambient noise.. and wondering why our elected think we are stupid...

Thanks Al Gore for the internet you did something right!!!

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   

try this?

www.fema.gov...

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   

If only ...the tea party the occupy movement.. they both want the same thing but never come together..why?

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   

I posted this in another thread, but I felt it appropriate here as well.

"We live under a soft tyranny now. We have a dictator. The names may change every 4 to 8 years, but the ideology remains. The faces may change, but the boot heel on the throat of American freedom remains the same.

We have reached a point where other countries now pity us and look at us with disdain at our weakness and selfishness.

Our bloated complacency has offered up our freedom upon the altar of ideology. It has been sacrificed by the high priest arrogance. And we bow at the visage of it's narcissism. "

When did it happen? When did we surrender? I want to look back at that day just to see what we could have done differently.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   

amazing

If only ...the tea party the occupy movement.. they both want the same thing but never come together..why?

We all got caught up on petty differences. I should have been more supportive of Occupy, and to my shame, I regret not giving voice.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Well, it is a bit more involved than the version I saw with the earlier expiry date. It appears to be the correct one. I think their site just wasn't dishing search results back at me yesterday, lots of raw JSON and site code but nothing usable.

I have downloaded it and will start filling it out...

I really wish I could opt out of it though

Thanks!

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by amazing

IMO, it's the fragmented issues... still clinging to the separation on principles, or for the most part what role the federal gov't should be involved in our daily lives..

one side wants a very limited Fed govt, with more focus on state's rights, the other wants the fed gov't to do more for the folks..

both sides are at their wit's end...

I think that this division is intentional, to focus one against the other, while DC (left & right) do what they want to do...

Been that way for decades if not centuries now...

I thought our grand experiment was based on individual freedom? Seems more like what our elected mandate these days, and the ever present FEAR we are supposed to have for boogeymen...

Sad state of affairs.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   

(imagine a thumbs up smiley here)

It doesn't surprise me that the letter you were sent included an "out of date" link to the form you need to comply...

Hope all goes well with your reply to the @@%##!!! govt ..

top topics

<<   2 >>

join