It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government Is No Longer As Shutdown

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
So it would seem now that government workers are going to be backpaid those in charge figure they might as well be working for that money. I just heard from my father that he will be going back to work on Monday along with 90% of all DoD employees. So now I guess the only thing this shutdown is affecting now are the monuments.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Why did they shut down the government in the first place? Do they struggle doing several things at once. In my eyes being a non-american, it makes the US government look like bumbling fools, disorganized, secretive and just plain incapable of handling the tasks at hand. #ing hopeless!

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Hydrawolf

The shutdown was more about Obamacare than anything else, that is what gets the people confused, the offending party that is the ones in the administration took upon themselves to shut everything so they could use the people as a bargaining tool, that was despicable, the opposing party wanted certain provisions of Obamacare to be delayed.

That is the mess we have now, still is a matter of budget problems with the debt ceiling that is do on Oct. 17, the government has not agree on that yet.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
The backpay issue was passed by the House.

It hasn't gone to the Senate yet, or Obama.

H.R. 3223: Federal Employee Retroactive Pay Fairness Act

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Regardless it now seems like the vast majority of workers who just earlier today were considered non-essential are now essential. And this is seemingly all because there is now the prospect of these workers getting paid at the end of all of this regardless of if they work or not.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Hydrawolf
Why did they shut down the government in the first place? Do they struggle doing several things at once. In my eyes being a non-american, it makes the US government look like bumbling fools, disorganized, secretive and just plain incapable of handling the tasks at hand. #ing hopeless!

Imagine wht is is like to be in the middle of it all.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Well, the law states that if they can't decide about the budget by a certain date they have to shutdown the government I believe. The Republicans said they are okay with everything that the Democrats and Liberals were throwing on the table as long as Obamacare didn't pass since well, it didn't make financial sense to pass it.

They didn't take it too kindly and ended up in a gridlock. The media states that the Republicans are at fault and they are the cause of so many layoffs and such. But realistically those layoffs were going to happen regardless, it just happened that these companies found the perfect moment to fire them as legitimately as they could without worrying about getting sued. The gridlock happened because one side of the party were too greedy and wanted everything to pass. Republicans even said that they are willing to come to a compromise if they talk more about Obamacare and the bill is revised (delay it for another year) but the Democrats and Liberals did not want to budge.

They didn't agree by the deadline, the shutdown was put into effect as it legally should have been, and now they are in a gridlock. When the majority of the people got wind on what's going on and found out what's really happening with Obamacare they got upset and took it out on media message boards and now it's escalating even more.

The shutdown happens because there's no more money that can be funneled for government programs except what's necessary and of course politicians (not very bright but whatever). The last shutdown happened during the Clinton administration and it lasted around 27 days or so. The only difference between that and what's happening today is that whatever is voted for will push the country into two completely different paths.

top topics

join