Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Obama: "I'd Think About Changing the Name of the Washington Redskins If I Owned It'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Obama once again sticks his nose into a race thing. He put his foot in his mouth with the Boston thing and ended up with a beer summit. And then there was Trayvon Martin who would have looked like him, or looked like a son if he had one, or whatever. This time it's Obama 'coming down sharply' in favor of the Washington Red Skins changing their name. The thing is ... the owner has repeatedly said he will not change it. So it's not open for discussion. So why is it even being brought up???

Obama Said He'd 'Think About' Changing the Washington Redskins Name If He Owned It

President Barack Obama says he would "think about changing" the Washington Redskins' name if he owned the football team as he waded into the controversy involving a word many consider offensive to Native Americans.

Obama, in an interview with The Associated Press, said team names such as the Redskins offend "a sizable group of people." He said that while fans get attached to the names, nostalgia may not be a good enough reason to keep them in place. ..

But he appeared to come down on the side of those who have sharply criticized the football team's name, noting that Indians "feel pretty strongly" about mascots and team names that depict negative stereotypes about their heritage.

The team's owner, Dan Snyder has vowed to never abandon the name.

He should spend his time doing his freak'n job and getting the government up and running,
instead of trying to stir up some racist crap that isn't there.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
And check it out ... Most native Americans DO NOT CARE that the Redskins are called the Redskins. They don't care ... they have no problem with it ... it doesn't offend them ....

Annenberg Policy Center

Most American Indians say that calling Washington’s professional football team the “Redskins”
does not bother them, the University of Pennsylvania’s National Annenberg Election Survey
shows.

Ninety percent of Indians took that position, while 9 percent said they found the name
“offensive.” One percent had no answer. The margin of sampling error for those findings was
plus or minus two percentage points.

And yet Obama opens his mouth again to cause problems in the race dept.
You'd think he would have learned his lesson after the mess he made of the Boston incident.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Hey sorry random but are nature reserves closed? or is that only national parks?

Gov shutdown qustion
edit on 5-10-2013 by hknudzkknexnt because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   

This is Obama giving a quiet "suggestion" in the area of political correctness to the owner of the Redskins. Quite a pathetically transparent attempt at showing his displeasure of something while keeping up the lie he isn't a racist himself.

Wonder who's going to get a surprise audit from the IRS next?

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Their poll is based on a grand total of 768 people. Sorry but that doesn't cover most Native Americans. From your link.

This report deals with interviewing conducted from Oct. 7, 2003, through September 20, 2004. In that period 65,047 adults were interviewed, of whom 768 identified themselves as Indians or Native Americans.

The term Redskin is a derogatory term for Native Americans it's like calling African Americans the N word.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Bassago

This is Obama giving a quiet "suggestion" in the area of political correctness to the owner of the Redskins. Quite a pathetically transparent attempt at showing his displeasure of something while keeping up the lie he isn't a racist himself.

Wonder who's going to get a surprise audit from the IRS next?

No one will be getting a audit the NFL is a tax free entity.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   

He is just using divide and conquer to keep the sheep occupied. Nothing new.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I look at it this way, if there were no professional sports teams with names, indians, redskins, braves etc
people would complain that the team owners are racist, damned if you do, damned if you don`t.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
His drone program also 'affects a sizable community,' but I don't see him running on about the atrocities that are a result of said drone program.

Ridiculous.

Absolutely freaking ridiculous.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   

I am sure the "Cloward and Piven Destroyers" would be right up Obama's alley for the new name?

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   

On a related note...Michele Obama has vowed to stop public schools from serving redskin potatoes in all school lunch programs

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMTAT

On a related note...Michele Obama has vowed to stop public schools from serving redskin potatoes in all school lunch programs

I am all for it! Especially after "Brown Bag Lunches" were deemed racist!!

Political Correctness run amok!!!!

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   

The dude has quite obviously become completely unhinged and out of control. I don't understand where he's coming from any more. Something needs to be done...

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ItCameFromOuterSpace

The dude has quite obviously become completely unhinged and out of control. I don't understand where he's coming from any more. Something needs to be done...

He is not unhinged at all! He knows exactly what he is doing! If he keeps creating racial division, as he has done since he was elected, it keeps us fighting, while him and all of the other criminals in DC, sneak their laws behind our backs!

It's the division they create, that keeps "We the People" from being wise enough to catch on!!! Think about it!

SMR

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I think Nabisco should change some names while we're at it.

Ginger Snaps are derogatory towards Redheads.
Oreo is a racist term for mixed race
I get offended when I see the word (in bold no less) CRACKERS on a box of Saltines

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   
And this is important and/or newsworthy...um, why?

One of the biggest non-issues and waste of bandwidth (and online print space) recently, both here and the fact that the AP is actually reporting it.

Must be a lack of things that actually matter happening.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Liquesence

And this is important and/or newsworthy...um, why?

One of the biggest non-issues and waste of bandwidth (and online print space) recently, both here and the fact that the AP is actually reporting it.

Must be a lack of things that actually matter happening

Your right! It is pretty pathetic that our POTUS has time to create more racial division, while the whole country is crumbling around him!!!!

Thumbs up!!! /sarcasm

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   
For a guy who won a Nobel Peace Prize he sure seems to like to stir the pot. Kind of hypocritical, but then again this sure isn't the first time for that with Obama.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Yes, the president makes a statement that probably took just a few minutes of time, not like he devoted an entire week (or day) to drawing together cabinet members to study and create a report on why the name of the team should be changed. It's a non-issue. Except to those who look for everything thing that doesn't fit with what they perceive things. Might as well take everything any president (or congress person) say that doesn't have to do with an issue in a crisis (or even not in a crisis) and blow it up into how he's not paying enough attention to the job. And this not a defend Obama post, because I'm applying it to all politicians and presidents. It's BS like this that are just that: BS.

It's pathetic. And it's pathetic it's news. And it's pathetic that the argument "while the world crumbles" is even brought up as if ALL his attention is devoted to this one petty thing, when in fact it's just a sliver of time.

This story is not newsworthy and it's a waste of bandwidth that it is given even an ounce of attention by the media and by ATSers thinking it's in any way important.

It's not important.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I'll just say, as an American Indian, myself, I could not care less what someone calls their team. The term has literally ZERO effect on me or anyone I know and it seems to be only those that hold some kind of racial guilt are the ones that are offended by this and any other term that's out there.

Seriously. Some people make it their life's purpose to find offense in trivialities.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join