It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

gang mentality on the internet

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Well well seems as though censorship is alive and well on the internet
What get's me is there are a group of people (very few mind you) that search google for certain subjects
only to go to those sites and spam them harass them and ultimately get them shut down.
Who does this? how is it that a certain group with a gang mentality because they don't like your opinion on a certain person has the power to shut them up?
Isn't the information on the internet there for all to enjoy and share? Are we not allowed our opinions?

No one was harassing these people, no one was contacting them,(in fact it was posted by members periodically throughout the thread not to contact them in any way) they came on the thread and harassed us threatened certain members and got the thread removed completely.

These people freely put themselves out there on the net. Not only that but are having an all out war with others because these others will not "agree" to whom this person really is .
To put it another way they are ticked off because those people will not say he is this popular "old rock and roller" whom is supposed to be dead...What?...this is the strangest subject I have ever researched.

In this thread one I will not name was very popular interesting though provoking
and a far as I read no troll's... what?...on ats,lol?
People were bringing thoughtful comments, no one was misbehaving and if my mind serves me well I think had only a couple of warning from the mod's. Not only very few warnings but no post removal's(that I recall). Then what happens boom, poof gone?

Maybe we need a list of people that are off limits so we know "who" we may talk about.

Censorship anyone???

My apologies for poor paragraphs and grammar
I'm a bit disappointed in what took place, and in my opinion most of the poster's on that thread behaved in a way that should have made ats proud.

I feel like I'm in the twilight zone, anyone else?

Is it me or is this something new to ats, or has this happened in the past?

edit on 5-10-2013 by TWILITE22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by TWILITE22

I'm getting the impression the removal of that thread REALLY burned people's buns to extra crispy. I wasn't even on it as the topic doesn't hold interest for me. I visited the 'shrine' once and got the figurative T-shirt which was about all my interest has ever run.

I'm shocked by the deep deep level of outright pissed on this of all threads tho? I don't recall another where people reacted so strongly outside real HIGH emotion breaking news type ones ..and we know which ones some of those were without a rehash. ...lol

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   

I refer you to this ...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Now can we move on

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I don't recall as far as my short time on ats that a thread was shut down due to internet gangs complaining
And that is what they are it's slimey, sneaky and shouldn't happen an this site.

I think I was shocked and so far I haven't heard a good explanation

I would understand if we were trolling and getting personal, but I didn't see that
No one was harassing them.

Maybe my perception is off?

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Not good enough just because someone complains that they don't want to be talked about is not good enough reason in my mind. I repeat no one was harassing them, no one was contacting them.
If one puts themselves out on the net for all to see, self promotes themselves to be someone they are 'not' what should they expect ?
We all are grown ups last I checked well most of us (lol) anyway.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Well if you don't like it there's always glp. Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   

TWILITE22
Not good enough just because someone complains that they don't want to be talked about is not good enough reason in my mind. I repeat no one was harassing them, no one was contacting them.

How do you know no one was doing such? Are you the arbiter of all things that happen, online and offline, for particular subjects.

Seriously, how over-the-top repulsively pathetic that a group of people would become obsessed with such a silly and meaningless subject in this time of intense political corruption and ALL OF OUR WORST CONSPIRACY FEARS proven to be true.

I'm sad for the state of desired subjects of ATS members. Really. This is a low point.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   

SkepticOverlord

TWILITE22

How do you know no one was doing such? Are you the arbiter of all things that happen, online and offline, for particular subjects.

Seriously, how over-the-top repulsively pathetic that a group of people would become obsessed with such a silly and meaningless subject in this time of intense political corruption and ALL OF OUR WORST CONSPIRACY FEARS proven to be true.

I'm sad for the state of desired subjects of ATS members. Really. This is a low point.

Is it pathetic that's what you think of members on this site?
a conspiracy site lets face it that's what ats is it's not a serious news site.

More crazy idea's have been born on ats than most other like sites
Where does anyone get off that we the members of ats are pathetic and looney?
the ones with all the crazy ideas made ats was it is today.

I don't think that thread was anymore absurd than nibiru, aliens, bigfoot or any other conspiracy
I have to say I'm shock and sadden on what the owners and moderators think of it's members really never thought I'd say that...never thought you would say that

And by the way I am up on what else is happening as I have been military for the past 26 years, and probably will not get paid this month...how dare you call me pathetic
but you are right it is a low point
edit on 5-10-2013 by TWILITE22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   

And by the way I am up on what else is happening as I have been military for the past 26 years, and probably will not get paid this month

If you have been in the military for 26 years then you were in during the last "shut down" 17 years ago and you were paid same as I was. You either are lying or have a piss poor memory.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Wait so the Elvis thread got shut down because some virtual biker gang pulled up and started trashing it? Is that what I'm hearing happened? I'm actually asking
edit on 5-10-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

SkepticOverlord

TWILITE22

Could it be like in the 30's when going to the movies was popular? People can only take so much crap and for others to crap on them for not giving their full undivided attention to matters that they believe are much more important is laughable and repulsively pathetic, unless of course you have proof that ATS members were harassing this poor man.

ALL conspiracy theories are silly...until proven right or wrong. You have provided us an outlet to share our views and attract others which in turn attract advertisers, for that we thank you, but to call the people that don't behave how you want them to, or to label everyone the same as you did, is not befitting someone who demands tolerance and to be obeyed.

Either let us know which subjects (however silly) are allowed to be discussed or realize that not everyone thinks the same as you.

I wouldn't be surprised if I get post banned or banned because of this, like I did the last time I questioned the status quo when a one word answer would have sufficed.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Carreau

Well if you don't like it there's always glp. Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out.

That's an embarrassing answer. Don't disagree or leave? Is that what you are getting at?

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

No I'm not lying I do remember but we didn't have the cutbacks like we do now our commissary is down to 5 days open. It's currently closed, until further notice this has never happened.
So it doesn't mean we will get a paycheck.

I should know my spouse is a financial officer.So if he says I don't know then I believe him.

Please stay on topic...

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

No I said that in response to the quote of SO's answer "not good enough". If the site owner's explanation "isn't good enough" then someone needs to leave. It was a very appropriate answer.

And as to your post, there is no way SO can in advanced know what insane post are going to happen in the future to list for you now. It wasn't the topic of Elvis it was the violation T&C that got the thread 404'd. He already explained this in his linked thread.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   

superman2012

Carreau

That's an embarrassing answer. Don't disagree or leave? Is that what you are getting at?

I think we are seeing the worst of both sides, it's a shame that some conspiracies are ok and others not so much
There are older threads on this very subject that are still open.
And no I don't plan on leaving I have a thick skin it's really doesn't bother me in the least.

link   

Don't lecture me to stay on topic I'm replying to your asinine post. BTW why are you still here glp is calling you.

link   

You seem quite angry about this. I didn't do more than glance at the thread because whether "you know who" is dead or alive at this point in time makes no difference to me. Now if you were talking about JFK or MLK then I would have looked deeper.

I haven't been an active member here that long and when one of the mods closed a thread of mine I was miffed. However on review of that particular thread and others that have been closed or 404'd I'd have to go with the mods. Have they ever made a mistake? Probably, they're human but what Springer and SO didn't extensively point out it's their site and they have final say. Move on.

-Peace

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I could be all wrong here and hopefully someone will correct me if I am, but I understood this all happened as a result of an outside request/demand that certain material/images not be used on ATS, period?

If that is what happened here and the explanations I've read are accurate ..then I'd ask something?

Assuming ATS and the Above Network have limited and very finite resources for fighting demands like that (which may come a lot more than we ever hear about, for all I know), which do we prefer they do?

Use their finite resources to fight a demand regarding a thread as this is about ......or use those limited resources for the time they are challenged over a real whistle blower with hard and critical information to share?

I know which I prefer they hold those things to use with ...Just my thinking.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Carreau
reply to post by superman2012

No I said that in response to the quote of SO's answer "not good enough". If the site owner's explanation "isn't good enough" then someone needs to leave. It was a very appropriate answer.

And as to your post, there is no way SO can in advanced know what insane post are going to happen in the future to list for you now. It wasn't the topic of Elvis it was the violation T&C that got the thread 404'd. He already explained this in his linked thread.

So only members that always agree with owners and mods should be on ats? Am I reading that correctly?

It's my belief that we can disagree (without name calling as some has done) respectfully and a clear concise answer is all I am asking. not because it is a crazy loony subject. nor due to people on the net complaining when they are the one's putting this conspiracy out there in the first place.

Other older threads on this subject are still open

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I'm sorry,
I just finished reading this thread and I'm laughing my ass off.
Elvis?

They had to shut down an Elvis thread?

I knew I was getting really bored with the childish behavior from posters here but that's just plain ridiculous.

This place is like that shabby but cool place where everybody used to go until it became popular.
Now it's so hyped up and full of tourists and posers that an Elvis thread can't even hold together.

I think ATS has officially jumped the shark.

That's it! Everybody! Out of the pool!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join