It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thrilling Mysteries-5 Truly Paranormal Stories

page: 1

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Well, now that Halloween is near I thought what would be more interesting/thrilling to read about than real and true unsolved mysteries, or true paranormal stories. I have searched the webs of the internet and have come across 5 very interesting stories. I hope you like them. I have added the sources with the full stories for each story. Please click on the links to read the full stories.
(I have used the ATS search engine to make sure I'm not posting stories already covered.)
If you have any additional information to add to any of the stories, please feel free to share them.
Enjoy

#1 The Mysterious Hinterkaifeck Murders

Source: excitingearth.com...

In Germany, 1922, the murders of six people at the Hinterkaifeck farmstead shocked the nation. This wasn’t just because of the gruesome nature of the case, but also because the case was so incredibly weird, and it remains unsolved to this day.
Neighbors recalled that just a few days before the murders, Andreas Gruber had mentioned a strange occurrence to them. He claimed that he had found footprints in the snow, leading from the forest’s edge to the house, but there were no footprints leading back. He also thought he had heard strange sounds coming from the attic. A particularly terrifying theory that stems from this is that someone may have sneaked into the house, lived undiscovered up in the attic for a few days, and then come out to murder the house’s occupants. To further add to this theory, in the days that the bodies were certainly lying dead in the barn, neighbors reported that they had seen smoke rising from the chimneys. Also, someone had been feeding the farm’s cattle. So, if someone had done this, it also seemed as if they had stayed for several days after the murders to take care of the place.

#2 Teresita Basa

Source:unsolvedmysteries.wikia.com...

Born in the Philippines in 1929, Teresita Basa was a respiratory therapist at Edgewater Hospital in Chicago, Illinois. She was quiet and unassuming, but in February 1977, the fire department was called to put out a fire in her home. In the blaze, the firefighters found her nude body under a burning mattress with a butcher knife buried in her chest.
Several months after the murder, Teresita's coworker, Remy Chua, another native from the Philippines, began having visions and dreams in which she appeared to her begging her to go to the police and tell what happened to her. After some prodding from her husband, Joe Chua, Remy gave Detective Joe Stachula enough information to implicate Alan Showery, a hospital orderly, who had come to her home to fix her TV. He killed her, taking some of her jewelry to give to his girlfriend. He was tried February 23, 1979 in her murder, receiving only a fourteen year sentence for his cold blooded crime.

#3 The Mysterious Death of Netta Fornario

Source: www.historicmysteries.com...

In the late summer of 1929, a 30ish woman left London for Iona, a small Scottish island rich in folklore and history.
Netta Fornario was not an ordinary woman of the times. She was a member of “Alpha et Omega” a splinter group of the famous (or infamous) Hermetic Order Of The Golden Dawn. Alpha et Omega was rich in occult practices such as ritual magic, tarot cards, mysticism, and a solid belief in the powers of telepathy.
Once on the island, Netta found lodgings with a local landlady named Mrs. MacRae. The two made a strange pair, the humble islander and the occult practioner, but some form of friendship developed between the two.

The first indication that something was wrong was a cryptic message Netta sent to her London housekeeper stating that she would be out of communication for awhile as she had “a terrible case of healing” to work on.
Netta’s apparent distress escalated until the morning of November 17th, when MacRae arose to find Netta in a frenzy of packing her luggage. She informed the landlady that she needed to return to London immediately, as several individuals were attacking her telepathically. MacRae was skeptical, and found nothing odd in Netta’s appearance until she noticed that Netta’s shiny silver jewelry had completely tarnished to black overnight.

After several hours, she came back out and calmly announced to MacRae that she had changed her mind and would be staying on Iona. She then went out for one of her usual daily walks.
When darkness came and Netta still hadn’t returned, however, MacRae raised the alarm.
It took two days to find Netta’s body. The death site was unusual, to say the least. A cross had been cut into the turf with a dagger (which was found nearby) and Netta’s body was lying on top of it. She was found only wearing a thin black cloak. The doctor who examined the body could not narrow down the time of death when her body was found. He apparently also had trouble determining a cause of death, and settled on either “exposure to the elements” or “heart failure.” Neither of which could account for mysterious deep scratches on Netta’s body and on the bottoms of her feet.

#4 Emilie Sagee and Her Doppelganger

Source:marilynkaydennis.wordpress.com...

One day when Mlle Sagee is giving a lesson to thirteen of her pupils, and is writing a sentence on the blackboard, the girls are suddenly very frightened to see two Mademoiselle Sagees one beside the other.
Riveted to their benches, they notice with growing stupor that, while the two people who are writing at the blackboard look exactly alike and are making the same gestures, only the real Emilie Sagee, a piece of chalk in her hand, is effectively writing. Her double, with empty hand, is only imitating the movements that she is making while tracing the words.

In 1845, Mr Buch engages a French teacher, Mademoiselle Emilie Sagee. She is a pretty Bourguignonne, born in Dijon, blonde with light eyes and an amiable character. She is thirty-two. Intelligent, cultured, she soon conquers the Director’s estime, her colleagues’ friendship and her pupils’ affection.
Strange rumours, however, run through the pensionnat about the new teacher. In fact, several times, certain pupils have noticed that they disagree on an apparently insignificant detail: the place where they have just met Mlle Sagee. When one says that she has seen her in one part of the establishment, it is frequent that another assures having met her elsewhere at the same moment....

#5 The SS Baychimo

Source: www.historicmysteries.com...

Built in 1914 in Sweden, the SS Baychimo was used for trading routes between Hamburg and Sweden. After WWI, the ship’s ownership was transferred to the Hudson’s Bay Company. The ship made numerous sailings for Hudson’s, mostly carrying cargo to and from the Arctic region.
On October 1, 1931, the Baychimo was on a routine voyage, filled with recently acquired furs. An unexpected storm blew in, trapping the ship in a sea filled with ice. The closest city was Barrow, Alaska, the northern most city in the United States – too far to get to in the blowing snow and high winds. The captain and crew had to stay inside the trapped ship, where they hoped to wait out the storm.

The terrible weather continued to pound down on the crew and the “temporary” camp went on for weeks. A fierce blizzard hit the area on November 24th and the snow was so heavy that the campers could no longer see the Baychimo, which was still trapped in the ice. The following morning their worst fears came true. The ship had vanished, no doubt sunk by the preceding blizzard. The remaining crew made their way back to civilization.
Less than a week later, however, a hunter told the captain that the Baychimo could not have sunk, as he had just seen it floating in the icy waters almost fifty miles from the location where it had been abandoned. The captain was somewhat reluctant to battle the snows to try and find the ship, but he gathered his crew and indeed found the Baychimo in the location the hunter had described. The ship looked to have sustained significant damage, and so the captain feared it wouldn’t be seaworthy for much longer and would soon break apart and sink, so the crew gathered the cargo of furs and had everything (including the captain and the crew) airlifted out of the area.
And so, the captain thought, the story ended.
But it didn’t.
Over the years residents of the area and other ships have spotted the empty SS Baychimo numerous times, gliding silently across the Arctic waters, drifting from one location to another, totally intact.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Love reading about these mysteries.
It always seems though that they happened so long ago that it makes me wonder if they are true or if todays forensic technology could solve them very easily.

It does remind me though that we may know how a rainbow works and what thunder is but will never fully understand why people do the things they do...

One of my favorite mysterious deaths,
www.ramblingbeachcat.com...

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Rainbowresidue

Thanks for the stories!

The Emilie Sagee was the most interesting. It appears she changed jobs 19 times in 16 years, no doubt from the calamity caused by the sightings.

I dunno. Makes me wonder if doppelgangers are independent spiritual vampiric parasites or just part of our spiritual essence that unfolds psychically due to stress or other means.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
S&F

Great thread!

Thank-you, this is one of the main reasons why I came to ATS.
edit on 5-10-2013 by Sublimecraft because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Lately, I've developed an interest in cases where people seem to vanish either in plain sight or just out of sight.

A couple of interesting ones:

On December 1, 1949, Mr. Tetford vanished from a crowded bus. Tetford was on his way home to Bennington from a trip to St. Albans, Vermont.

Tetford, an ex-soldier who lived in the Soldier's Home in Bennington, was sitting on the bus with 14 other passengers. They all testified to seeing him there, sleeping in his seat. When the bus reached its destination, however, Tetford was gone, although his belongings were still on the luggage rack and a bus timetable lay open on his empty seat. Tetford has never returned or been found.

The Legend of David Lang

This famous case allegedly took place in September, 1880 on a farm near Gallatin, Tennessee in full view of several witnesses. The two Lang children, George and Sarah, were playing in the front yard of the family home. Their parents, David and Emma, came out the front door, and David headed off across a pasture toward his horses. At this time, a buggy carrying family friend Judge August Peck was approaching. David turned to walk back to the house, saw the buggy and waved to the judge as he strode across the field.

A few seconds later, David Lang - in clear view of his wife, his children and the judge - disappeared in mid-step. Emma screamed and all of the witnesses rushed to the spot where David once was, thinking perhaps he had fallen into a hole of some kind. There was no hole. A thorough search by the family, friends and neighbors turned up nothing. A few months after the unexplained disappearance, the Lang children noticed that the grass on the spot where their father vanished had turned yellow and wilted in a circle measuring about 15 feet in diameter.

Vanished! Unexplained Disappearances

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by VictorVonDoom

Yes, I had previously heard about the Lang disappearance. I also seem to remember reading where his family could faintly hear him calling for help but not one of them could locate where his voice was coming from. Weird!

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Thank you all for the kind responses and the contributions.

reply to post by tinner07

Thanks for adding another good one. the Lead Mask Mystery has always intrigued me.

reply to post by Sublimecraft

Thank you Sublime, and I feel the same way too. I'm always on the lookout for more unsolved or mind-boggling mysteries.

Oh, people who mysteriously vanish off the face of the earth and never return -though in some rare cases they do-has always scared me. What caused them to disappear? Could it happen to anyone? Those are the questions that go through my mind in those cases.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
sounds like stephen king borrowed a little from the german murder mystery in his novella, blockade billy. in it, a young man kills a family and sticks around for a few days feeding the cattle and living in the house.

this murder also has some similarities with the villisca axe murders in iowa at the turn of the last century. in that one, a family, mom, dad, and eight children, six of their own, two little girls who spent the night after a church social were hacked to pieces. police found cigarette buts in the attic (none of the family smoked) where the killer waited for them. there was no motive and the one suspect had a hard alibi. remains a mystery to this day. the place is now a bed and breakfast. the axe marks are still in the ceiling where the parents were killed. it is supposed to a very haunted place.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Yes, I had previously heard about the Lang disappearance. I also seem to remember reading where his family could faintly hear him calling for help but not one of them could locate where his voice was coming from. Weird!

This case is considered as a hoax :
www.museumofhoaxes.com...

It is more likely that the tale of David Lang was invented by the mystery-novel writer Stuart Palmer. In July 1953 Palmer published the earliest known account of the Lang story in FATE Magazine. Palmer's article was almost certainly the source that both Wilkins and Edwards later relied upon. Palmer claimed that the tale had been told to him by Sarah Lang, the daughter of David Lang. But in reality, Palmer probably lifted the idea for the tale from a short story by Ambrose Bierce, "The Difficulty of Crossing a Field," which Bierce included in his story collection Can Such Things Be? (1893). Bierce's story describes a plantation owner who vanishes into thin air. In his 1953 article, Palmer claimed that Bierce's story was inspired by the Lang incident. However, the opposite is most likely true -- the Lang tale written by Palmer is almost certainly a reworking of Bierce's story.

edit on 5-10-2013 by Bidibule because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 03:18 AM
link   

S&F, Rainbowresidue. Wonderful thread.

I find the story about the woman and her doppelganger very interesting. I've been researching ley lines lately, and I'm wondering, if it's true that we all have a double, if the ley lines could have brought them together at the black board? Maybe there was a crossing of the lines where she stood.

But, I've also read that a doppelganger will never show itself to the other "self". However, I've had a couple of people in my paranormal thread to say they were sure they have ran into theirs, or passed them on a highway going the opposite direction.

It's strange the teacher didn't notice her "other self" standing beside her. Very interesting.

Happy Halloween!

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 03:42 AM
link   

sled735

S&F, Rainbowresidue. Wonderful thread.

I find the story about the woman and her doppelganger very interesting. I've been researching ley lines lately, and I'm wondering, if it's true that we all have a double, if the ley lines could have brought them together at the black board? Maybe there was a crossing of the lines where she stood.

But, I've also read that a doppelganger will never show itself to the other "self". However, I've had a couple of people in my paranormal thread to say they were sure they have ran into theirs, or passed them on a highway going the opposite direction.

It's strange the teacher didn't notice her "other self" standing beside her. Very interesting.

Thank you, and Happy Halloween to you too.

What I found most interesting about the Doppelganger story is how she always felt weak, and looked pale whenever her doppelganger appeared. Also how she mentioned once that while the students indoors saw her doppelganger while she was outside, she was actually thinking about how she should be inside with them so they don't misbehave.
This lead me to think that maybe she projected herself somehow to wherever she always wished to be... as if she uncontrollably but did indeed have this strange ability, and it was perhaps her own doing and not from an outside force.
-----------------------

Oh, the Ley lines, they are still a mystery to me. I always felt they have to do with energy/magnetic "hot spots" of our planet. That deserves a thread on its own. I'd sure love to read more about it, hint, hint.

edit on 6/10/2013 by Rainbowresidue because: corrections

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Oh, geezzee! I didn't read the entire story in the link.
(That would be a good idea BEFORE posting, huh?)

I might get around to doing another more in-depth thread on the ley lines some day. Right now, I'm kinda burnt out on making threads... think I'll take a breather. My poor house has suffered lately.

top topics

join