It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Enlightenment in 15-30 days, an EXTREMELY fast method. Mahasi Style Noting

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   

MBMASON
In regards to the OP, in my opinion you are clearly not enlightened or even close to being enlightened. Anyone who says agree with me or GTFO is quite simply very full of ego. That one statement you made negates everything you have said.

As a Buddhist my self, most of us realize that enlightenment is something that can take a lifetime or more to master and that is usually pertaining to monks. The path is much harder and longer for a lay person but not necessarily impossible. But the notion of enlightenment in 15 days simply using mindfulness is absurd. It sounds like something you'd see on an infomercial.

I'm pretty sure that when The Buddha attained enlightenment, he didn't walk around the country side spreading the dharma by saying I'm enlightened and if you don't believe me or want to challenge me GTFO.

You have created a mask of what characteristics a person filled with light should have and what abilities the person have. Just because you know all is one and all parts are on the way home do not mean that you wont be annoyed with parts who will not listen and think it is a waste of time to teach parts that are not ready to hear and test what you say.

Teach those who want to hear and ignore the rest and see if they find their way home. Sometimes the unconscious know when it shall be awoken and will not listen until it is "it's" time and sometimes that road is extremely fast.

The ego loss can be temporary and the ego is transformed to an more ego less ego. Even the ones who is perceived as having no ego have an ego that is non dualistic and without ego.

edit on 7-10-2013 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

in humble opinion, after reading from some 'historical' sources/experience,
those who took for plenty years to achieve IT is because they kept searching for IT until they realized they were already IT.
Eckhart Tolle put it in his book, one know one already attained IT when one have no more questions to ask.
doubt and pride are the primary and final obstacles to overcome.
maybe one must be humble and live with stronger conviction each day that one is already IT

edit on 7-10-2013 by dodol because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
It is true that enlightenment often takes a lifetime but there are recorded cases, in Sufism for example, where one look of a master can enlighten certain students.

I personally don’t mind the OP’S method, and will not judge him and appreciate the information.

There is an old saying by a particular master

“Ignore my appearance and take what is in my hand”

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by MBMASON

In regards to the OP, in my opinion you are clearly not enlightened or even close to being enlightened. Anyone who says agree with me or GTFO is quite simply very full of ego. That one statement you made negates everything you have said.

A perfectly placed phrase to filter out the whiners and cry babies. If your ego is so hurt by that and feels affected, then you've missed the point and aren't ready for the Enlightenment.

I've had various teachers speak worse than that to me, for the sole purpose of stirring and making me aware of the ego, for the sake of transcending. I've lived and done retreats in Zen monasteries, where you get hit with a stick while mediating, when you least expect it.

That one statement negates nothing, but your very own illusion based projections. Have you tried the method? Have you gone 30 days with it? No? Then you have nothing to add here.

As a Buddhist my self, most of us realize that enlightenment is something that can take a lifetime or more to master and that is usually pertaining to monks. The path is much harder and longer for a lay person but not necessarily impossible. But the notion of enlightenment in 15 days simply using mindfulness is absurd. It sounds like something you'd see on an infomercial.

If you are a "Buddhist" then you understand the terms dzogchen, Bon, Adviata, rigpa, and stream entry. Some who are ripe for it, merely hear a Koan, and in an instant, merge/uncover permanent Enlightenment. To say you need a lifetime in a monastery is just more projections from a status quo.

I'm pretty sure that when The Buddha attained enlightenment, he didn't walk around the country side spreading the dharma by saying I'm enlightened and if you don't believe me or want to challenge me GTFO.

Different teachers have different styles. What does that have to with the method? If you haven't tried it, then you are wasting time.

Students and visitors of Buddha also wanted to argue, debate, discuss the origins of humans/creation, about God, and he refused to discuss those things, choosing instead to directly focus on the methods.

So too, I'm choosing to directly focus on Mahasi Style Noting as a Fast, vetted, tested, proven method. IF you're feeling are hurt by the words "gtfo" if you want to debate, then you have some work to do on your ego and its feelings. I've had worse said to me, see the ego's reaction, know that it is not me, and continue on.

reply to post by silent thunder

Personally I think the fastest way to enlightenment is to not care about being enlightened.

If you take that approach, you will continue in a unconscious, unmindful, unenlightened experience of life, if you don't have access to Enlightenment already. If this was a a fast/quick/effective method, the Buddhists would have written a sutra on it. But there is none

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   
As a Buddhist I have been practicing mindfulness for around 5 year now, a lot more than your 15-30 day get enlightened quick scheme. I have been on a few retreats including Vipassana retreats. I have many different states of consciousness including bliss . I am definitely not enlightened. So being told I'm not ready by an internet guru is laughable.

It's also comical that a message of GTFO to get rid of " whiners and cry baby's " is something that a truly enlightened person would say. Regardless of how other teachers treat their students. And yes it's true that the Buddha did not answer all questions about god, because he deemed them unnecessary regarding the 4 noble truths and the nature of suffering. Because he didn't answer every question certainly doesn't mean he told them to GTFO.

As a truly enlightened being who completely has absolved all of their ego, knows the absolute truth about how the mind and consciousness work, and completely knows the true nature of reality and how the universe works. And also has completely ended suffering in your life. I would think you'd be a bit more humble and maybe welcome the skeptics and whiners and cry baby's seeing as how you pretty much have perfect knowledge.

I know my ego still exists and still has a powerful influence over me. It's you my friend that needs to look into the mirror and realize that your ego also has a hold of you. It's clearly evident by the way to speak to anyone who doubts you.

From a Buddhist view anyway most people seek enlightenment for the goodness of all sentient beings.
I've said what I need to say and will leave your thread now, so you can continue to enlightening the masses oh holy Man-God.

Peace

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by MBMASON

As a Buddhist I have been practicing mindfulness for around 5 year now, a lot more than your 15-30 day get enlightened quick scheme. I have been on a few retreats including Vipassana retreats. I have many different states of consciousness including bliss

I know tons of people, just like yourself, who talk about decades of practice, vipassana retreats, bliss, etc, but once they tried Mahasi Noting, said it was like a rocket ship to the primordial. Perhaps give it a go.

If I tried a method, and it didn't produce fruit by year one, it's out the window, personally speaking

. I am definitely not enlightened. So being told I'm not ready by an internet guru is laughable.

Hasn't Buddhism yet taught you, never to assume nor to project? Maybe reinvestigate the teachings, because then by your very assumptions, we can call you an "internet Buddhist", which would also be laughable.

It's also comical that a message of GTFO to get rid of " whiners and cry baby's " is something that a truly enlightened person would say.

Please then do post the scripture from the Book of "How an Enlightened Person Must Act." You seem to have it all figured out.

Regardless of how other teachers treat their students. And yes it's true that the Buddha did not answer all questions about god, because he deemed them unnecessary regarding the 4 noble truths and the nature of suffering. Because he didn't answer every question certainly doesn't mean he told them to GTFO.

You really don't see your own ego, do you?

The whole statement above is relative. Read the 3 pages of thread, and look at how many people "got it", and the GTFO did not effect them, and yet it effects you. How funny is that? Also take note, that there is something called "Spiritual Pride" which is also a trap. It looks something like, "I've been on the Path for X amount of years, X amount of retreats, your just a so and so who doesn't know, and so on enter the following assumptions/projections.

Yet all of I've said, is this is very VERY fast method, vetted, tested, and popular amongst a lot pf practioners right now. If you want to waste time and debate (without having tried this yourself), then you can GTFO because your wasting time

I got nothing but Love for you, and wish you the fastest, quickest path to Enlightenment, and everyone else. Life is short, so go and get it. Otherwise, you are still wasting time by trying to debate something, instead of trying it out for yourself.

As a truly enlightened being who completely has absolved all of their ego, knows the absolute truth about how the mind and consciousness work, and completely knows the true nature of reality and how the universe works. And also has completely ended suffering in your life. I would think you'd be a bit more humble and maybe welcome the skeptics and whiners and cry baby's seeing as how you pretty much have perfect knowledge.

1. There are various stages of Enlightenment after stream entry. Some of the stages, X amount of Skandhas are still being resolved.
2. GTFO was a specific ploy, for people like yourself to play into. It was a conscious decision to put it there to A. Grab peoples attention. B. See that those who transcend it, can get straight to the method. And C. Those who are bothered by it, have yet to resolve their own ego and attachments.
3. GTFO as a specific ploy was done purposefully, because I have done so before on ATS with similar threads in the past. For example this one here: You Want To Se Your Ego? Your all Useless, Scumbag, Idiots
4. The majority of people are completely wrapped in Unconsciousness and Ego, resulting in them not wanting anything to do with Enlightenment. So there is no need to waste each others time. Hence the directness/bluntness. I've approached average folks with this stuff for the last decade, and so understand human nature/mind/unconsciousness.

I know my ego still exists and still has a powerful influence over me. It's you my friend that needs to look into the mirror and realize that your ego also has a hold of you. It's clearly evident by the way to speak to anyone who doubts you.

More assumptions/projections/illusions. 24/7, from the moment the body wakes up, there is direct awareness of the ego, where it arises from (Amrita Nadi) and takes it place in the front of the head. Along with that comes direct and permanent seeing/experiencing, that the ego/mind is not me, and there is no more mixing with Rigpa. That is my direct testimony.

While yours is

I know my ego still exists and still has a powerful influence over me.

That does not make you better than me, but it may be proof that in 30 days of Mahasi Noting, you can get to deeper levels, than 5 years of vipassana/retreats. Also note, that I never projected/assumed, you to be this way or that way. You said it yourself. If there was a deep level of detachment, you would have never attached to GTFO the way you are doing now.

And I would NEVER EVER for the life of me, expect a Buddhist to get attached to it

From a Buddhist view anyway most people seek enlightenment for the goodness of all sentient beings.

That's why this thread is up. To share with others. I even hope and wish for you to get it, and see past your own ego which you admit has powerful influence over you. IF you jump directly into Advaita, you'll come across a direct teaching that says ego/mind is only illusions/thoughts/unreal. Keep that view for a few weeks and it will fall away, be seen as not you, permanently.

The "status quo" in tibet says, you need decades in monasteries. Its not true. Primordial Being Grounds are already our underlying nature, people just need a good push to see it. Took me 15 minutes with a Zen Koan for my first dip into Enlightenment.

I've said what I need to say and will leave your thread now, so you can continue to enlightening the masses oh holy Man-God.

All is well my Brother. Your words have revealed your state. Try the Method for 30 days (its not my Method and is roughly 100 years old), and come back here and let us now if you reached a permanent detachment from ego/mind.

Otherwise, us debating this its like debating colors with blind men.

Hopefully we can all get back on topic now, like this was originally intended, hence the GTFO with debaters!!!!

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

What was the koan?

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

Nosce te Ipsum... And the only way to know thyself is through observation...

Thanks for sharing, Dominicus.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   
how about if we just try and be respectful toward each other and with ourselves, and give each other a break sometimes. life would generally be much better.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
If I may expand on this practice, There is no real need to keep repeating what ever it is, for example when sweeping... you don't have to keep repeating sweeping, sweeping, sweeping. As a person advances in mindfulness where one pointed meditation is "old hat", using this practice can become boring, rote, mind numbing, repetition. To carry it deeper, I suggest sweeping without repetition(noting), the sweeping itself is the object of meditation, using conscious awareness moment to moment in the activity... feeling the handle in the hands when you pick up the broom, the movement of the arms as they extend the broom out, the contact between bristles and floor, the tension in the back and arms as you pull back on the handle, the sound and sight as the bristles slide across the floor, if the mind moves off to what happened yesterday, or to what your need to do next, or anything other than the activity of fully aware sweeping, then note "thinking" and go back to sweeping awareness.

When doing so: this practice will become both vispassana(insight) and samatha(concentration) meditations, the two types when used together, are what actually speeds up process on the path, much in the same way as logic and rationality work together: Without logic balancing rationality, a person becomes irrational, without rationality balancing logic, a person become illogical. Though you can use one or the other meditations separate to sweep dirt off of reality, both together plant the seeds for a balanced experience of awakening. Vispassana will lead to knowing the reality of name and form leading to abiding wisdom, and samatha will lead to calm and equanimity, when both are well developed together, they form calm abiding in the present moment, when calmly abiding in the present moment, there is no attachment to name and form, when there is no attachment to name and or form as they naturally arise through contact, and as the naturally pass way due to contact with another name and form, then suffering cannot arise. To understand, how this happens beyond the conceptual it takes direct experience, if you wish to learn of the concept outside of practice and direct experience, with the discriminating mind explore the terms: Nama and Rupa translated as, Name and Form and how they function in Buddhist psychology.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I found something that resonates in the pure positive gnostic concernign what enlightment is, not a state of no being either.

Its working through your lower primitive impulses/mind, and attachments to the world though beauty, peace, nature, happiness is good. There should be balance. But seeing through it and the programs and developing Higher Mind and cultivating forgiveness, peace, mildness, understanding of others and even creatures great and small. Meditation is key.

When enlightenment happens, its making the inner and outer one and in agreement, ie. conscious and subconscious. And Mother and Father, the feminine and masculine, ie. right and left hemisphere, pineal and pituatary. It is basically awakening the third eye, the thalamus region, in a high frequency, selfless and loving way, putting on the cross your own ego attachments to that which is selfishness. Meditation is key and helping others. It is being Christed. One goes from the son/daugher of man, to the Son/Daugher of God/Goodness, Becomes their infinite part of infinity. It is ascension though you're still in the world.

When you make the inner and outer in agreement, with happiness your right thoughts and wishes, become reality, we're co-creators as well. Ie. healings, for example, abundance and problem solving flowing through to many people. Good thoughts. Love not Fear. What you do with this is a sign of maturity, for its not self serving, yet balance is still needed too.
edit on 8-10-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   
SERIOUS QUESTION ...

It seems that a lot of these practices and/or religions require concentration and meditation to reach enlightenment. So what about people with cognitive and/or neurological conditions that don't allow for concentration? What about people with mental health issues (such as depression or who are schitzoid or who have extreme paranoia, etc)? Or older folks who can't concentrate or remember things??

Are these people left out of the ability to reach enlightenment because of their physical issues?
(Lost of mental health issues are physically induced )

It's an honest and serious question for any practicer who wishes to tackle it.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
There are many ways to meditate. One is to reflect on what you wish to achieve, even just writing it down, for those who are able to write. But some people come into the world and aren't on the same asisgnments/paths/lessons as the majority.

Having intentions, stating intentions to yourself, connecting to water, dishes or a stream/creek, being mindful in nature, there are many ways to meditate. But for some who feel called to meditation, seeing themselves healed, and able to meditate and seeking to mediate, or for the ways that work for them, brings it. Another way is to create an mp3 file that has soft subliminals or guided meditation and binaurals or nature sounds, and to go to sleep with this.

There is also prayer. And prayer can be religous, non denominational, classic, mystic, new age, its many things. But its also, seeing as if something has already passed and giving thanks. This is something greater and for the happiness, wellbeing, and good of everyone, directed to the Good Family who do not charge and are a Loving Team, Source, God/Goodness. So co-creation is also prayer. Focused intent is prayer.

So people who can't meditate easily, can often do a lot of other things, from journal writing, being in nature, seeking and asking questions within and of Source. And prayers too.

Also, just stepping out of the house or apartment, outside, in nature, brings answers. When you seeking answers, and you're in a box, or a squared circle, with all of the modern pollution, and electricity, you are suppressed. Answers can come quite quickly when you take a problem outside.
edit on 8-10-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   

dominicus

See for yourself if what I posted is true. Otherwise, your points will be moot and relative

It is irresponsible of you not to include a word of warning in your message. Supposing that this really had a life-changing effect on people- they should also be made aware of the implications that come even with a heightened sense of awareness. Not to mention truly transcending one's ego.
You just made it sound like you're selling a product. I know you probably aren't but it sounds like (a) you don't know what it is you are "selling" or (b) you have little regard for consequences.

edit on 8-10-2013 by sleepdealer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by richard42smith

What was the koan?

"Just like the thought of a rock, is not the same as an actual rock; So too, who you think you are, is not who you are."

reply to post by FlyersFan

SERIOUS QUESTION ... It seems that a lot of these practices and/or religions require concentration and meditation to reach enlightenment. So what about people with cognitive and/or neurological conditions that don't allow for concentration? What about people with mental health issues (such as depression or who are schitzoid or who have extreme paranoia, etc)? Or older folks who can't concentrate or remember things??

In the majority people, there is very little established concentration. It has to be cultivated.

For those like you mention above, Mahasi Noting (The method mentioned in this thread) is highly practical because you are constantly switching to a new thing that you are aware of, and noting it. I have a friend who has A.D.D. who has been using this method, and tells me that his A.D.D. actually helps with using this method, and the method helps with his A.D.D.

There is also mantra, unknowing everything, wrestling with Koans, keeping a constant view that the mind/ego/thinker of thoughts is just an illusion of thoughts, there is surrender/letting go.

Here's a list of 112 different techniques, each with its own explanation:
112 Techniques to use to reach Enlightenment

Are these people left out of the ability to reach enlightenment because of their physical issues? (Lost of mental health issues are physically induced )

Here's another perfect example of a technique that everyone can understand/comprehend/do, no matter the condition:

Legend tells that once upon a time there was a poor man who was charged with tending a herd of cows for his master. The man, uneducated and mentally challenged, one day met a teacher of meditation and he was impressed by the calm, loving, happy nature of the teacher. So he asked the teacher to show him how he could achieve the same radiating peace that the teacher so obviously enjoyed.

The teacher quickly discovered that the man was unable to understand any of the points of philosophy he was trying to teach him, and he couldn't even remember the Om mantra despite going through it time and again. The patient teacher said to the man, "You are certainly devoted in your desire to be happy, but you don't seem to know very much and have trouble learning, and you can't remember anything. Tell me, what is it that you do know about?"

The man answered enthusiastically, "Teacher, the only thing I know anything about is cows. For my entire life, I've cared for cows, kept them happy, kept them fed, made sure they are milked regularly, and kept them clean. My entire life revolves around cows." The teacher smiled and said, "That's fine, my son. Then you know what sound a cow makes." "Of course," said the man. "They say moo." "Of course they do," said the teacher. "And since you know that sound well, that will serve as your mantra. All you must do is continue to say moo and you will eventually find that you no longer suffer and you are filled with bliss." From that moment on, every time the man took the cows to the pasture to graze, he chanted "moo." While he milked the cows, he chanted, "moo, moo, moo." Before long he was able to internalize the vibration of his mantra, and he became joyful and lived happily ever after.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Good question..

Think about it this way: possible mental disorders (such as you mentioned) can actually prevent you from gaining mental clarity and certain states that are needed achieve inner silence.. but:

www.healthcentral.com...

but also

Scientists think that an imbalance in the complex, interrelated chemical reactions of the brain involving the neurotransmitters dopamine and glutamate, and possibly others, plays a role in schizophrenia. Neurotransmitters are substances that allow brain cells to communicate with each other. Scientists are learning more about brain chemistry and its link to schizophrenia

www.healthcentral.com...

Think about your brain as a car: you need to get to spot B, but your car is badly broken. BUT (once again) studies have also showed regular meditation decreases the the brain activity on areas that are usually linked to schizophrenic symptoms.

It's all very paradoxal, and that is one of the reasons I don't think there's any "absolute" enlightenment.

So yes and no. Yoga can also lower blood pressure but some practices (especially Prayanama, which is one of the centerpieces) can be even dangerous for people suffering from HTN.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by sleepdealer

It is irresponsible of you not to include a word of warning in your message. Supposing that this really had a life-changing effect on people- they should also be made aware of the implications that come even with a heightened sense of awareness. Not to mention truly transcending one's ego.

I believe the best warning, One which I wish someone had given me when I was in my late teens, is a Warning about remaining as you are, unenlightened, completely wrapped in Ego, Not knowing thy self.

The "life-changing effect on people" is a beautiful and freeing feeling. To be Free of, and transcending your own Ego, is a Mark of true freedom. It is the Ego that is the cause of complaining, unhappiness, depression, issues, assumptions, illusions, etc.

You just made it sound like you're selling a product. I know you probably aren't but it sounds like (a) you don't know what it is you are "selling" or (b) you have little regard for consequences.

Have you tried the Method and know what the fruits are? I have. Its not my Method, I'm not "selling anything, there is no money to be made, I know the Method personally, and have tons of regards for the consequences of people remaining unconscious of their true Self. Truly there is a Want and Longing for others to get Enlightenment

I would Warn anyone who does not have Enlightenment, that to remain as you are is a dire consequence.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Yeah this is not actual "enlightenment" in the sense that it is the permanent end of suffering. That only comes about with the actual death of the ego, when there is no more attachment to the body or self. Nobody ever actually "achieves" enlightenment because there is nobody there to begin with. Simply seeing the illusion and recognizing it is not the end of the ego.

Enlightenment only takes place when the mind forever dies and never returns. That means no thoughts, total silence, no "I am" or "me." There is nothing left, and therefore no more attachments are possible, thereby ending suffering.
edit on 8-10-2013 by Riposte because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Riposte
Enlightenment only takes place when the mind forever dies and never returns. That means no thoughts, total silence, no "I am" or "me." There is nothing left, and therefore no more attachments are possible, thereby ending suffering.
edit on 8-10-2013 by Riposte because: (no reason given)

I think there needs to be clarity on this; the mind does not die it is tamed in meditation whats tamed is the attachment to name and form. Mind definitely does not die, thoughts to not die, and it is not total silence. We have a body due to life, due to having a body and life there will always exist name and form, just a transformed version of name and form. What changes is our relationship to name and form. When you see a something name, and thoughts about this seeing do not have to arise to this seeing of whatever it is, one just sees.. but you can think about it if you want too... the same goes for all the other senses including the mind. The mind thinks that what it does, it can have states of quiescence, quiescence is not full enlightenment, just a part of the path like bliss, Form and mental contact can never completely cease while alive for mind is always in contact with form... a sensation is always there cognizance of a sensation is the mind... it has just ceased to label and name everything it touches, there by it is transformed and reaches peace and equanimity no matter what it come into contact with, unless directed to do otherwise.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 01:16 AM
link   

The seed question is this:

"Who is ignorant?" "Who becomes 'enlightened?'

People assume that the ego becomes 'enlightened'.

People assume that personalities become 'enlightened'.

People assume that 'souls' become enlightened.

People assume...

People assume that they 'know what enlightenment is'.

People assume that 'enlightenment' is for humans.

I just wanted to tell you, that your question evidenced
genuine wisdom.

KPB

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join