It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Enlightenment in 15-30 days, an EXTREMELY fast method. Mahasi Style Noting

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Lotuschild

P.S Wondering if anyone else has understood the importance of being earnest in spiritual progress?

Being earnest & Intention are and have been HUGE for me......

You'll see this echoed in tons of spiritual material

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

BigBrotherDarkness
reply to post by robhines

Nothing to fear with your head blowing off my friend, that has only occured when a fully enlightened Arhat at the level of Buddha enters Parinibbana, hop into the puddle first
Afterwards, and down the road the thought that you even have a head to blow off becomes a foreign comcept that seems kinda silly.

Just posting back to say thanks for the post, even though it was ages back. Mainly because I left the thread and didn't post back. Anyway, have got into Buddhism a lot more than I thought I was going to over recent months. Meditation is being done a lot more on average, and I feel better sitting for longer, etc. I still haven't tried this mental noting technique, but that's mainly because I'm happy focusing on anapanasati and satipatthana meditation. Have also started researching into Yogacara and Madhyamaka though, which have changed the way I view things quite a bit. Those two can get complicated though, so they're mainly research while I work on the other aspects.

After reading some Madhyamaka recently though I did have a kind of dropping off of concepts and felt kind of like waking up in a dream for a moment or so, which was one of the best experiences I've had in ages. I'm going to guess that it probably wasn't far off what the aim is in this thread, which seems to be keeping that state going.

When it comes down to it though my main set of things to work with are the 37 factors. (explained here : en.wikipedia.org...) They might seem complicated at first, but several concepts interlink within it, and it really does seem to cover most of what needs to be worked on when you get used to it. (I've worked with it on and off for years, a lot more recently.)

But still, if I ever decide I'm stuck, will maybe test this out. Hopefully that won't be too much of an issue though and the way I'm already working on things will continue to develop well enough.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by robhines

After reading some Madhyamaka recently though I did have a kind of dropping off of concepts and felt kind of like waking up in a dream for a moment or so, which was one of the best experiences I've had in ages. I'm going to guess that it probably wasn't far off what the aim is in this thread, which seems to be keeping that state going.

Yeah that's it. One of the main aspects.

You enter into this pure nonconceptual, prior to all concepts state, are one with it, realize that state is you with no boundaries, and from there begins sort of a tending the garden, where all the old constructs that arise, like weeds, are constantly seen through and let go of. They even take on a very elestaic almost laffy taffy type of form.

Eventually with enough of the spring cleaning, it all just completely falls away and then there's just that non-conceptual/non-dual state.

Even then though, there is an intuitive sense that there is still something prior to that. Eventually even the nondual falls away and merges with the unborn/unmanifest emptiness is form/form is manifest of the Buddhist enlightenment.

Just an opinion: IF I was you, I would forget doing the prelims for years and years and just break through into it whichever way is fastest. Considering time is short and one of the teachers I came across who is fully enlightened pounded into my head the idea of "Honoring Time."

Its so valuable and we only have X amount. Mahasi Noting & Advaita Vedanta (Nonduality & Pointers) are 2 of the fastest ways there, or being with a teacher who can directly & Intuitively point it out for you.

The rest of the years after the breakthrough are spent spring cleaning, tending the garden, embodying/stabilizing that state as your true Identity. That's where the most valuable time is spent.

Years or decades on the prelims could be a very big waste of time

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

Interesting use of the word 'enlightenment'.

I started doing this at 18, after having read "Conversation with God", though I would not necessarily promote the book.

In my opinion, enlightenment is a totally relative concept for any mind conceiving of it. Not everyone who attempts this method will achieve 'enlightenment', and not everyone who successfully uses this method to augment their consciousness would refer to the results as 'enlightenment'.

To me, it is essentially mindfulness and nothing more.

Your immediate statement for anyone who might disagree with you to "gtfo" is laughable - it, to me, indicates you have not found "enlightenment", or "peace", or "contentment" in any fundamental or foundational way - but hey, that's just a judgment on my part.

You come as a teacher, and then tell those who might question to "gtfo". Are you a 16th century Japanese martial arts master?
Remember, you posted on a public forum, which is essentially an invitation - how can you justify an invitation and then an immediate command, complete with colloquial rudeness, to get out?

In all, me thinks your path to enlightenment is just like many (if not all) others - which is to say, it's a road to walk, it's not the only road and certainly is not the best road (how would we define 'best', anyway?)

Good luck on your ascent, friend. !

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Taj Mikel

Your immediate statement for anyone who might disagree with you to "gtfo" is laughable - it, to me, indicates you have not found "enlightenment", or "peace", or "contentment" in any fundamental or foundational way - but hey, that's just a judgment on my part.

Yes, it is judgment, labels, concepts on your parts. If you really want to know where Im at & state of being, you have to spend a day with me in person, and that's still surface level with a bit of depth.

gtfo is a trigger, a psychological decoy. It was put there on purpose, to steer away debaters and let in open minded try'ers. If you wan't proof that it was meticulously crafted that way, see this thread I started :
You want to see your ego? You're all idiots, pathetic, useless, scumbags, waste of humans

If you still need more convincing, look up what Gurdjieff said to his students. Or if you want, I can share with you some of the horrid things my past teachers have said to me to trigger and be aware of certain things. If you still can't get past this, well then gtfo is specifically for you, and did exactly what it was meant to.

To me, it is essentially mindfulness and nothing more.

Yea, to you....a relative perspective. Did you read the instructions of what the fruition of this method is? If your still simply just mindful, and haven't entered stream entry, or witnessed the collapse of your conceptual self constructs, then keep going.

If you think only mindfulness will result and nothing more, its a belief system and a conceptual trap.

You come as a teacher, and then tell those who might question to "gtfo". Are you a 16th century Japanese martial arts master? Remember, you posted on a public forum, which is essentially an invitation - how can you justify an invitation and then an immediate command, complete with colloquial rudeness, to get out?

a vessel, a mysterious friend pointing towards the moon, a fool who triggers the fool within all...nothing more

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   

silent thunder
We are already inherently enlightened. It is the fundamental ground of our being, and the interconnectedness of the universe.

Absolutely, but you need to go through a process of realization through personal experience to actually become united with that ground of existence. Simply saying "I know I am already enlightened since that is where we come from, what we are made of and where we are going" Isn't enough to free you from the limitations of material existence.

Some folks need to sit in a cave chanting or being aware of their breath for 20 years to realize it. Others instinctively know even if they've never heard the word "enlightenment."

Why? Who knows?

Karma, there is a thing called 'Spontaneous Illumination' Where people can simply walk out their front door and become enlightened, but its because the person is like a glass, every new incarnation the person has he puts a few more drops of water in the glass, sometimes a yogi will be so close to achieving emancipation and then due to previous karma he suddenly dies or something, in the next life of that soul, the person knows nothing of enlightenment, but all the previous progress of innumerable reincarnations is saved up in his spirit, so sometimes all it takes is one tiny little realization, one last little drop to fall in the glass, and then it overflows. Others are just starting out (on the universal scale) and so even though they spend 20 years in a cave meditating and chanting, they could still not be as close to the goal as someone who hasn't even heard the word 'enlightenment' because that person may have spent countless lifetimes meditating in a cave, and in this lifetime just happened to be incarnated as James Everyman, cashier in wallmart.

Personally I think the fastest way to enlightenment is to not care about being enlightened.

Exactly. S.N Goenka put it quite humorously when he said "Enlightenment is a state free of craving and aversion, so if you are saying 'I want enlightenment i want it i want it i want it!' then you are literally running in the opposite direction" But that is not to say that you should not make a sustained and wise effort towards the goal, but the absolute key, the middle ground between 'not caring' as you said, and your mouth watering looking at a picture of The Buddha, desiring that state sooo so much, is earnest effort, just calm, collected, attentive, steady progress towards the goal.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   

dominicus
Just an opinion: IF I was you, I would forget doing the prelims for years and years and just break through into it whichever way is fastest. Considering time is short and one of the teachers I came across who is fully enlightened pounded into my head the idea of "Honoring Time."

Its so valuable and we only have X amount. Mahasi Noting & Advaita Vedanta (Nonduality & Pointers) are 2 of the fastest ways there, or being with a teacher who can directly & Intuitively point it out for you.

The rest of the years after the breakthrough are spent spring cleaning, tending the garden, embodying/stabilizing that state as your true Identity. That's where the most valuable time is spent.

Years or decades on the prelims could be a very big waste of time

Hi again,

I know what you mean, but the way I'm combining things with Yogacara and Madhyamaka, + sati meditations does seem to be actually working now. The thing is that I've already been at it years, so in my case it might not be such an issue. If I've already had a breakthrough recently it might be that I'm not that far off, and to be honest it does seem like things are going well when I actually put the effort in and don't have other crap going on, so it might not be too bad.

I do get what you mean though, and if I find that I am just back at the starting point again several times from here on out, will try to remember what you've said and give this a go.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 03:18 AM
link   
What is it you are all looking to find?
What is at the end of all this searching?

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Itisnowagain
What is it you are all looking to find?
What is at the end of all this searching?

Hi Itsnowagain, can I call you Renea

Anyway I just wanted to say hi. Continue on I like where this is going

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 03:23 AM
link   

ChrisdolmethSachs

What is in a name??
"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet".
edit on 8-3-2014 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Itisnowagain

ChrisdolmethSachs

What is in a name??
How does a name influence a person's character?

For me I like to visualise something more than 1.6v of electricity in my brain. So to give a label means something more solid to me.
I don't think a name influences character personally, but I like my nickname I gave you. Do you like it?
We can be humans here no need for robotic responses unless you want.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 03:30 AM
link   

ChrisdolmethSachs
So to give a label means something more solid to me.
I don't think a name influences character personally, but I like my nickname I gave you. Do you like it?

What form did you see in your mind which provided the nickname?

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Itisnowagain

ChrisdolmethSachs
So to give a label means something more solid to me.

What form did you see in your mind which provided the nickname?

Pure form of expression. No thought just a symbol, a name popped in. I liked it myself so I expressed it and I hope I didn't upset you as a result. I just have fun with my thoughts .

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Itisnowagain

ChrisdolmethSachs

What is in a name??
"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet".

This saying 'a rose by any other name' I have decoded as Rosicrucians pretending to be the "word".
That is what I make of this saying anyway.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 03:39 AM
link   

ChrisdolmethSachs
For me I like to visualise something more than 1.6v of electricity in my brain. So to give a label means something more solid to me.

Thinking makes imaginary things.
In reality there are no things - just words appearing which seem to separate that which is whole.

There appears to be something but it is nothing really.
Where do words/thoughts go? Are they ever solid?

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Itisnowagain

ChrisdolmethSachs

Thinking makes imaginary things.
In reality there are no things - just words appearing which seem to separate that which is whole.

There appears to be something but it is nothing really.
Where do words/thoughts go? Are they ever solid?

I really didn't think about it so much. I guess since it popped into my thoughts it could be called thinking.
I sent you my thought/image in an objective form, to which you received it and raised more questions.
As for solid they can only be if it sticks and people in your sphere of reality use it. Do you like my nickname or will you answer my question with a question?

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Words/thoughts are wisps of nothing appearing in nothing and disappearing in nothing.
Even the smell of a rose does not persist forever.

All is appearing and disappearing.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Itisnowagain
Words/thoughts are wisps of nothing appearing in nothing and disappearing in nothing.
Even the smell of a rose does not persist forever.

All is appearing and disappearing.

And your point is?

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 03:47 AM
link   

ChrisdolmethSachs
Do you like my nickname or will you answer my question with a question?

I do not like or dislike it.
The question is; what do you perceive me as to feel the need to change what is to what isn't?

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 03:48 AM
link   

ChrisdolmethSachs
And your point is?

There is no point.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join