It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why was the US gov shut down?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I know I know, Obamacare resistance from the GOP. But that can't be the only reason can it? I mean, I can't quite understand how or why shutting down the gov helps the GOP in their cause. Is it extortion? Blackmail? Is that what this is? Because on the surface that's what this looks like. Blackmail.

Fill me in?

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
And I will ask you, why do you continue to parrot "GOP shutdown"? Can you quote or find one GOP member who said they want to shutdown?

And yet all I have heard from the mouths of Obama and Reid were threats to shutdown.

Thanks in advance for your clarification

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Well they could just say we are implementing austerity measures like the ones we see in EU and elsewhere that sparked all the recent riots...

But here we are really good at smoke screens to cover up that fact. So we fabricate the most complex lies and carefully feed them to you thru the media. Otherwise people might get upset. It is the government after all that allowed this sorry state of affairs to come to fruition.

One way of seeing this is true is to look at how the only things that are actually getting "shut down" are public, so far. Who is affected? The little people.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
They failed to pass a budget yet again.
We have reached our debt spending limit, again.
It's like maxing out another credit card, you can only spend so much money before you go broke and have to stop.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Why hasn't the government passed a budget in over 4 years. Or a BALANCED budget? Why is the government spending over a Trillion dollars more than it has every year?

Why is the White House sending out emails through the Interior Dept telling Park Officers to make the public's life miserable? Why is the government closing things that were not closed in the past shut downs?

I don't consider spending 63.2 Billion dollars in the first 48 hours of the government shut down a "shut down".

You start answering these questions and you have the answer to your original question.
edit on 5-10-2013 by Carreau because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-10-2013 by Carreau because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   
They want the public to cave.

They want to prove that they can make it so harsh for people, yet have a scapegoat, that they will cave and be manipulated how they want us to be.

Lay off the little guys. Stop the tourists where they stand. Cut benefits. Blame the GOP.

Meanwhile in the end, people say "enough is enough" because their weak little minds can't take it anymore. The government comes in to save the day, gives them back the pieces they took away, and people are caved once again to whatever BS they want to throw at us.

People have been against Obamacare, but how can you get people to seem like they want it? Oh - give them something to compare it to. Give them an enemy they can target while realizing "maybe it isn't so bad". And what do we have, millions of polls saying people would now rather have Obamacare than a government shut down.

Hook, line, and sinker.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

The shutdown does nothing for the GOP. The GOP and Dems are joined at the hip. Ergo, the shutdown does nothing for the Dems either.

The shutdown was somewhat endorsed by the GOP because the Tea Party put the fear of God into them. Any Republican who goes against the Tea Party runs a tremendous risk of losing their seat.

The Tea Party agenda is to take deficit spending away from the government. They want the government forced into a position where they can only use monthly revenues to cover the expenses of the government.

This - will - force - the - government - to - use - only - the - cash - they - can - collect - month-to-month - from - your - paycheck.

This protects we-the-people from the four-day work week. Yes ... that's an automatic 20% decrease in your accustomed to hourly wage. Of course our 'elected' officials are paid a salary and would love to have a four-day work week.

Obamaramacare and the shutdown are irrelevant. Adopt the 100,000 foot view and take a look at the forest.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
It's shutdown because the Senate and Obuma won't pass the funding bills that were passed by the house.

So you know what, I am sorry for the people personally effected financially. But I hope they keep this corrupt **@$ shut down. The government thinks they OWN our land, keep it shut down and let the people keep seeing how low on the ladder this administration really sees us.

I would normally say "we" here, but now it's clear that we aren't part of the government, "they" have spend half of what they normally spend this week, and they need to quit wasting our money.

Cut it down 80 more percent, then we'll be talking...

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
You are absolutely correct. It is essentially holding the government hostage, domestic terrorism via the political system if you will. The GOP did this same exact thing on two other occasions, such as when Social Security was instituted. So it is nothing new. It is shocking to anyone who is not a brainwashed GOP member, because it is like a three year old throwing a tantrum.

Republican ideology has been refuted time and time again, from various platforms, and their failure in the political system is just another added to the list. Just look at Bush's eight years in office. And people want to talk about Obama?

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I predict coming soon on the Dem's agenda... takeover the middle class's 401K. Mark this post.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   

JiggyPotamus
The GOP did this same exact thing on two other occasions, such as when Social Security was instituted. So it is nothing new.

Wow Jiggy ... what's the address we use to mail your Tea Party card to? You have perfectly proven why "conservatives" are reluctant to allow sweeping 'reform' to occur. Who was it again who looted the SS system? Why is SS insolvent? Because your government 'borrowed' from it and the only thing remaining in the coffers is a bunch of worthless IOUs.

Didn't I hear the gubment clearly state that SS checks couldn't be issued? I know I 'contributed' a portion of every single one of my paychecks to that black hole. Now it's time for 'them' to issue threats?

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   

2XOHsurf
I predict coming soon on the Dem's agenda... takeover the middle class's 401K. Mark this post.

Marked!!! Where else do you think they're gonna get the money from ... the rich corporations? Their cronies? Their own pockets?

Anyone care for a history lesson on the steps taken to communize Mother Russia? Better start wondering whether or not you're gonna be part of the inevitable cull.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   

2XOHsurf
And I will ask you, why do you continue to parrot "GOP shutdown"? Can you quote or find one GOP member who said they want to shutdown?

And yet all I have heard from the mouths of Obama and Reid were threats to shutdown.

It's all very confusing. I'm not parroting anyone but in answer to your question, didn't Rand Paul say something candid on a live mike?

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   

woodsmom
They failed to pass a budget yet again.
We have reached our debt spending limit, again.
It's like maxing out another credit card, you can only spend so much money before you go broke and have to stop.

So it's up to the GOP to increase the debt ceiling? Canadian here so I'm not in the loop to how things work south of the border.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
It's not shutdown.

800,000 " non essential " employs have been sent home.

Non-es-sen-tial
1. Having little or no importance; not essential

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   

FlySolo

2XOHsurf

It's all very confusing. I'm not parroting anyone but in answer to your question, didn't Rand Paul say something candid on a live mike?

Yepperdinkledeeodle ... and flat out gave himself away as a RINO.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

Still got me.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

bjax9er
It's not shutdown.

800,000 " non essential " employs have been sent home.

Non-es-sen-tial
1. Having little or no importance; not essential

So this is supposed to be a money saving thing?

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by xstealth

It's shutdown because the Senate and Obuma won't pass the funding bills that were passed by the house.

You seem to forget that Obamacare was already the law when the shutdown happened. This shutdown is a method of the tea party to force bills they want through the government.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   

FlySolo
reply to post by Carreau

Still got me.

Figure it out quick, brother. When the fascist dictator steps to the throne, rest assured the first thing he'll want to do is secure the northern border. Mercka has a pretty lax fence building posture. Expect to take a knee.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join