It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catholic priests in military face arrest for celebrating Mass

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Well I just heard this and am flabbergasted. How can they hold religious freedom hostage like this? We are not talking about being unwilling to pay the priests, we are talking about not allowing Mass to be celebrated even if a priest volunteers without pay. Here are some highlights, and fyi I am not Catholic and really dislike the Catholic church, this is about the denial to engage and practice your religious beliefs.

“In very practical terms it means Sunday Mass won’t be offered,” Archbishop Timothy Broglio of the Archdiocese for the Military Services told me. “If someone has a baptism scheduled, it won’t be celebrated.”

“They were told they cannot function because those are contracted services and since there’s no funding they can’t do it – even if they volunteer,” he said.

A well-placed source told me that a furloughed Air Force chaplain was threatened after he offered to forgo pay. The chaplain was told he could not go on base or enter his chapel offices. He was also barred from engaging in any ministry activity.

“The wedding could be on the base, but the priest can’t do the wedding,” Broglio told me.

“In American history there has been no administration more anti-Catholic than the Obama administration,” he said. “For them to deny Catholic men and women the opportunity of the sacraments and to deal with their prayerful vocations is really a stunning statement.”

I find it odd that the military was able to find enough cash to let their football teams play this weekend – but they can’t scrounge up enough cash for weekend church services.

www.foxnews.com...

cnsnews.com...

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 06:19 AM
link   
government shouldnt have anything to do with religion in my opinion.
separation of church and state.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 06:33 AM
link   

BOPcaj
government shouldnt have anything to do with religion in my opinion.
separation of church and state.

- There is no such thing as separation of church and state.

- 'The gov't shall not establish a religion' .. THAT is what you are thinking of.

- The Chaplains in the military aren't establishing a religion. They are providing a service to those who are in the service and to their families. The military makes sure that those who volunteer to serve the country will still be able to worship their God as they need to. There are dozens upon dozens of religions recognized by the US Military ... be it Jewish or Hindu or Buddhist or Muslim or Wiccan or Christian or ____ (fill in the blank).

*** I was a Chaplain Assistant in the US Army for five years.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

Okay .. what I don't understand ...

When I was in the military, the Chaplains were all US Military ... they were officers. For example, when I was stationed in Japan we had a Colonel, Major, Captain (Protestant Chaplains) and a Lt. Colonel (Catholic Priest). So how would a furlough effect people who are actually in the military? Unless the people in the article are people who are on CONTRACT to come in because there aren't enough Catholic chaplains???

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 06:40 AM
link   

FlyersFan

When I was in the military, the Chaplains were all US Military ... they were officers. For example, when I was stationed in Japan we had a Colonel, Major, Captain (Protestant Chaplains) and a Lt. Colonel (Catholic Priest). So how would a furlough effect people who are actually in the military? Unless the people in the article are people who are on CONTRACT to come in because there aren't enough Catholic chaplains???

You're assumption is verified via the article...

"“They were told they cannot function because those are contracted services and since there’s no funding they can’t do it – even if they volunteer,” he said."

edit - This makes sense as the thought behind leveraging the government shutdown is to make like as difficult as possible, so even if its volunteered service, the LEGAL contractual right to deny is there and being utilized.
edit on Oct-05:00am3106 by Krystian because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 06:45 AM
link   
These people are not in the military they are contract workers so they are subject to the same rules as any other contract worker. And nothing is stopping these people from getting married off base the military doesn't control that guess the usual unnamed source at FOX never thought of that. The usual Obama is against Christians rhetoric is really getting old we wouldn't be hearing half of it if people just did a little research.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Wow, just wow! When I see news like this and two of the MSM are carrying it, then it has to be fed to them by TPTB, IMHO. It would seem that someone has an agenda to disgust and harass the populace big time, as other here on ATS have already noted.

Freedom of religion is now being attacked. Wasn't it Nancy Pelosi who said a few days ago that people should pursue happiness? Guess they're leaving that one (happiness) alone for now.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   

FlyersFan

Yes they are hired as government contractors. As such they can not be paid. Understandable. They volunteered to do it for free. They were refused. They were then told if they show up, they will be fired and arrested.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 07:25 AM
link   

aboutface

Wow, just wow! When I see news like this and two of the MSM are carrying it, then it has to be fed to them by TPTB, IMHO. It would seem that someone has an agenda to disgust and harass the populace big time, as other here on ATS have already noted.

Freedom of religion is now being attacked. Wasn't it Nancy Pelosi who said a few days ago that people should pursue happiness? Guess they're leaving that one (happiness) alone for now.

Freedom of religion is not being attacked here. A unnecessary paid for service is being suspend during the shutdown if these Priests were in the military then there would be no problem. The ones that are attacking your religion are the Priests that put a price on their faith.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   

buster2010
These people are not in the military they are contract workers so they are subject to the same rules as any other contract worker. And nothing is stopping these people from getting married off base the military doesn't control that guess the usual unnamed source at FOX never thought of that. The usual Obama is against Christians rhetoric is really getting old we wouldn't be hearing half of it if people just did a little research.

Or maybe your partisan blinders are just too thick to see past. The article states they have that option. They can also go through with the wedding on base, they just can't have their priest perform the ceremony.

So tell me, what benefit is there to disallowing a Priest to come without pay? While they may legally have the right to do this, why would they?

And it's not FOX claiming Obama is anti-Christian, it's Bill Donohue, of the Catholic League claiming it.
edit on 5-10-2013 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   

buster2010

aboutface

Freedom of religion is not being attacked here. A unnecessary paid for service is being suspend during the shutdown if these Priests were in the military then there would be no problem. The ones that are attacking your religion are the Priests that put a price on their faith.

Wrong. The service was being offered for free due to the shutdown. Seriously, did you even read the article?

“Most of us don’t look to see that we’re going to be paid before we do something,” he said. “They are not being allowed to volunteer even to meet the needs of the faithful.”

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Why is the government paying for religion. The religions can supply at no cost their own services if they so desire. Religion is a business but the gov doesn't need to be paying.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   

roadgravel
Why is the government paying for religion. The religions can supply at no cost their own services if they so desire. Religion is a business but the gov doesn't need to be paying.

Valid question. Has nothing to do with the topic though as the priests are offering their services for free, and are being told if they show up they will be arrested.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Valid question. Has nothing to do with the topic though as the priests are offering their services for free, and are being told if they show up they will be arrested.

Off topic? The topic opens up a deeper issue of why is there a pay check. It should be free always.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   

What unmitigated horrific diabolical evil. This is OUTRAGEOUSLY UNCONSTITUTIONALLY HIDEOUS . . . and definitely a calculated planned foray into !CONTROLS! freak destruction of Christianity further from public life. These are the first skirmishes just like Hitler's squeezing Jews into walled ghettos . . . and eventually onto cattle cars for the death camps.

No. I'm NOT exaggerating.

The script has been written. It IS being played out step by step.

The narcissist in chief in D.C. was chosen, conditioned, scripted and installed with teleprompter to play his DESTROYER IN CHIEF role that he loves to play with great blood lust, radical Muslim flavored glee.

The guilty ARE building up a REAPING they will NOT be able to BEAR one microgram worth of. . . . in due course. Between now and then . . . much blood will flow at their hands visited upon the Eloi they are shuffling off the the maws of the Morlachs for dinner.

What satanic hideousness.

May God have mercy on His faithful

I'm not an RC either and deplore a lot the RCC has done and stands for. However, this kind of restriction based on the farcical rationalization of the shut-down is satanic evil in living color in the military NOW. They are flexing their tyrannical muscles and seeing how far they can go under the guise of the shut-down.

It's their evil experimenting full bore on the sheeple.

edit on 5/10/2013 by BO XIAN because: tags

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   

roadgravel

Off topic? The topic opens up a deeper issue of why is there a pay check. It should be free always.

Yes off-topic, as I said it's a valid point. Make a thread about it. This thread is about priests wanting to come do it for free and being told they will be arrested if they attempt to have Mass.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   

OccamsRazor04

buster2010

Or maybe your partisan blinders are just too thick to see past. The article states they have that option. They can also go through with the wedding on base, they just can't have their priest perform the ceremony.

So tell me, what benefit is there to disallowing a Priest to come without pay? While they may legally have the right to do this, why would they?

And it's not FOX claiming Obama is anti-Christian, it's Bill Donohue, of the Catholic League claiming it.

Because if that Priest were to get hurt or anything else were to happen to them while they were on the base that would open the government to a huge lawsuit. And no they do not legally have the right to do it. Military bases are government property so their religious freedoms are what the government says they are because the government shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion. Other government employees are not allowed on base while on furlough and the same goes for the Priest they are just another government employee.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

I agree it's diabolically evil, however I differ in why it is happening.

The Obama administration wants to cause as much pain and suffering as possible during the shutdown, then try to blame it on Republicans, and then use that pain and suffering they caused to gain leverage.

We're sorry you can't visit the WWII monument WWII vets, it's the Repubs fault. We're sorry you can't visit privately owned Mount Vernon, it's the Repubs fault (yes I know you can visit it now). We're sorry you have no access to your religion, it's the Repubs fault.

Then the hope is public outcry forces the Repubs to fold. The last shutdown was blamed on Repubs, so it was a smart move (in a disgusting way) to try it this time.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   

buster2010

OccamsRazor04

buster2010

Because if that Priest were to get hurt or anything else were to happen to them while they were on the base that would open the government to a huge lawsuit. And no they do not legally have the right to do it. Military bases are government property so their religious freedoms are what the government says they are because the government shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion. Other government employees are not allowed on base while on furlough and the same goes for the Priest they are just another government employee.

Your posts get more and more ridiculous the more you have to justify this. A simple waiver would take care of responsibility for lawsuits. I already stated the military does not have to let them on. They also did not legally have to let the veterans visit the WWII memorial. Preventing either of these while legal, is just plain stupid, and has zero justification. As far as other employees, if they wish to come in and do their job for free give them waivers too. Show some patriotism. A President once said ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. This administration says thanks for asking, but if you try to help we will arrest you.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I am off to bed I will check the thread when I wake up. I will deal with any more foolish posts from you Buster, since we already showed your positions that the priests are demanding money to be false, that your claim FOX hid the fact they can go off base was false since it's right there in the article, and the fact that it's too big of a litigation risk for them to volunteer is false. I am interested in what BS you will come up with next. You can also tell me why spending money to prevent veterans from visiting the WWII memorial is such a wonderful idea when letting them visit wouldn't have cost anything.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join