It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sydney Harbour fireworks display.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 05:14 AM
link   
The dude on Sky News just informed me that Sydney Harbour had just begun the largest fireworks display since the Chinese Olympics opening ceremony. One has to wonder at the hypocrisy involved when you consider the financial and social upheavals we are currently experiencing world wide. I mean is it really a good idea to be firing off 10s of millions of dollars in to the air?
edit on 5-10-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 05:20 AM
link   
100s of billions really?
anyway everyone loves fireworks and they stimulate the economy
just think of it as a gift for the 10s of million of homeless people that live under and around the harbour bridge
edit on 5-10-2013 by 12voltz because: i had to change the numbers to come in line with the FW budget

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

"100 of millions really?"

Well 10s of millions anyway I imagine. Fireworks are rather expensive after all. Fixed it in the edit.

My hyperbole aside, you can see the point? Its essentially burning money!

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by andy06shake

Burning money ,thats exactly what it is ,just like nearly everything that people spend money on
petrol
tobacco
meat
drugs
toast
rubber
chilli
It all burns in the end in one way or another
edit on 5-10-2013 by 12voltz because: of the half intended pun about chillis

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 05:34 AM
link   

The whole event will cost $40 million and it is estimated to generate $50 million

www.news.com.au...

A waste of money indeed!

edit on 5-10-2013 by AlphaHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 05:43 AM
link   
It's to celebrate the 100 years since the Royal Australian Navy first entered the waters.

With Prince Harry in attendance and a flotilla of war ships on display... the fireworks are just a part of the bells and whistles that come with the occasion.

edit on 5-10-2013 by Perhaps because: add image

edit on 5-10-2013 by Perhaps because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Perhaps
It's to celebrate the 100 years since the Royal Australian Navy first entered the waters.

With Prince Harry in attendance and a flotilla of war ships on display... the fireworks are just the a part of the bells and whistles that come with the occasion.

Rather expensive bells and whistles considering our predicament IMHO!

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 05:51 AM
link   

andy06shake

What predicament in Australia are you talking about?

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 05:55 AM
link   

$10 million profit is a predicament now is it?

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 05:57 AM
link   

andy06shake

Perhaps

With Prince Harry in attendance and a flotilla of war ships on display... the fireworks are just the a part of the bells and whistles that come with the occasion.

And what one would that be? Last time anyone mentioned anything in the US, Oz was doing pretty awesome for itself. Are you trying to imply that they should be babying the world like America tries? Nah, not their responsibility. Not anyone else's, either. If Australia wants to have a party in their good times, let 'em. Everyone else can suck a lemon.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 05:59 AM
link   
So if Australia was broke and in debt 17 trillion, and you guys had a fireworks display.
Would you ask our opinion.
Near as I can figure it we are a sovereign nation, and travelling alright. Thanks for asking.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Can anyone share a link?

I am sure we can all enjoy this spectacle ...

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by hellobruce

"What predicament in Australia are you talking about?"

Its plain to see i am talking about the global financial situation, last time I looked at a globe Australia was still there!

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 06:14 AM
link   

andy06shake

Perhaps

It's no big deal dude - Sydney is world renowned for their fireworks displays and this occasion is befitting... and they'll probably raise the bar again this comming NYE.

Cheers

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Perhaps

Don't get me wrong i'm not disputing there pretty colours are rather fetching. I just think the money spent could be put to better use.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Timely
Can anyone share a link?

www.abc.net.au...#/series/12894

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 06:21 AM
link   

andy06shake
Its plain to see i am talking about the global financial situation, last time I looked at a globe Australia was still there!

It did not effect us that much....

www.abc.net.au...

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Mate, I dont care a rats for fireworks. Plus there in Sydney and I am in Melbourne, but because a country a half a world away is in trouble because of their governments ludicrous spending on wars and so forth which to my way of thinking has killed thousands of innocents needlessly, and you want to comment on another country spending their hard earned on fireworks? Spare me champ, we'll spend our money on whatever we want.
We dont need your permission, hell I'd go out and light some fireworks in your honour right now, if I had any and if I liked fireworks.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 06:33 AM
link   

andy06shake
reply to post by Perhaps

Don't get me wrong i'm not disputing there pretty colours are rather fetching. I just think the money spent could be put to better use.

I understand the point you're making.

Yet as pointed out in a previous post, the cost is beneficial to our economy - it also promotes a positive Australia and global goodwill... priceless.

edit on 5-10-2013 by Perhaps because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by kudegras

"Mate, I dont care a rats for fireworks. Plus there in Sydney and I am in Melbourne, but because a country a half a world away is in trouble because of their governments ludicrous spending on wars and so forth which to my way of thinking has killed thousands of innocents needlessly, and you want to comment on another country spending their hard earned on fireworks?"

I'm not American, easy enough to deduce really considering my spelling of the word colour.

"Spare me champ, we'll spend our money on whatever we want."

Fair point, however so is my own, Fireworks are indeed considered a waste of money by lots of people not just myself!

"We dont need your permission,"

Where did I say you did??? LoL

"hell I'd go out and light some fireworks in your honour right now, if I had any and if I liked fireworks."

Whatever floats your boat mate, just don't be spending millions on my account. The sentiment appreciated all the same!
LoL

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join