It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taurine Study That Showed Promise for Smokers Prevention of Emphysema Nowhere To Be Found on Net

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   
A few years back I ran across this medical study as I was researching information for taurine. I was looking for information to support a website that claimed taurine and glycine were helpful for people who had their gallbladders removed.

I stumbled upon a study that exposed two groups of mice (or rats- sorry to say I can't remember which) to cigarrette smoke. One group was also fed the amino acid taurine. The findings of the study showed the rodents given taurine showed no signs of emphysema while the other group did. It also stated that this research held great promise in taurine supplimentation for smokers.

Several months later I spent hours and hours searching for this study to no avail. Again tonight I looked and cannot find it.

This study is not the hamster study found here:

Taurine protects hamster bronchioles from acute NO2-induced alterations. A histologic, ultrastructural, and freeze-fracture study.

I find it regrettable that is should be missing from the web. I would love for someone to prove me wrong and find it.

It did not study the reduction of existing emphysema through taurine supplementation.

I am not playing doctor here so please research taurine as best you can and heed dosage warnings.

Just a bit on encouragement for smokers. There are filters available on line that trap the tar, They claim up to 90% tar removal. Some people clean them and reuse them. It is a disgusting thought that you are inhaling this gunk into your lungs. One brand I am aware of is called Tar-Bar.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

Haven't found your specific article but this link gives a lot of good information on taurine including this somewhat related to your search

Taurine reverses damage done by smoking and protects against heart disease

Being a smoker I will check this out more fully. Thanks for the clue.

edit on 5-10-2013 by liveandlearn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 01:43 AM
link   
This one, perhaps?

link

The role of taurine in acute lung injury, oxidative stress and
apoptosis by endoxin and cigarette smoke

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Fascinating. Maybe all those people that drink tons of energy drinks might survive a bit longer if they're smokers, given the loads of caffeine don't ruin their heart valves!

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 05:15 AM
link   

1Providence1

Fascinating. Maybe all those people that drink tons of energy drinks might survive a bit longer if they're smokers, given the loads of caffeine don't ruin their heart valves!

That's why they put taurine in them. It's good for the heart also. And the liver. And the brain.

It's an anxiolytic, more or less, which is why energy drinks are so popular and skolling down pints of boiling hot black coffee is still only for connoisseurs at 5am with the turkish grinder and a pot bubbling away.

The amounts of caffeine (guarana) in them would have you shaking like the 1950's and you'd be pulling paint off the walls with your stare, but the taurine takes that edge off so you're just pinging like a tweeker waiting for a door to move.

I have had bulk taurine in the past, but over all I did not necessarily notice a big difference. Some people will say that it helps them focus too, they're able to get more work done. I can see this given the attention I feel when on the monster. Oh that evil medicine. sickly sweet and .. NEVER get the low sugar one.. saccharine.
the devils sweetener. "Come hither little one, taste my pleasures..." *GAH THATS NOT SWEET!!! IT'S ANUS FLAVOURED!!!*

Fun fact. Kittehs die without taurine. Next time you peruse fluffies whiskettes, check the cans of kitten food. "Taurine" will likely be an added component. Cats can't make their own. Humans, hus lot, make it all the time. So it's a non-essential amino acid.

Never fear, if they take our taurine away, we can always lick kittens.

edit on 5-10-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Really good information! I enjoyed your post very much.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Thank you for posting this.

I saw it last night and noted that their conclusions ran along the same lines. The one I read had an abstract. I specifically remember a statement in their conclusion/discussion being that taurine holds great promise for emphysema prevention. I could not find the word emphysema mentioned specifically in this study.

The study I saw methodology read diiferently stating cigarette smoke was the irritant used in the test. Also, they froze and spliced the lungs to compare the two groups and noted the emphysema damage in the ones not given taurine and lack of emphysema in the group fed taurine.

I also looked at the references in this study and maybe I missed it, but it didn't not appear to be listed.

Good job alfa1.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Since we are discussing taurine I thought it might be wise to see other applications for it.

Some people take taurine supplements as medicine to treat congestive heart failure (CHF), high blood pressure, liver disease (hepatitis), high cholesterol (hypercholesterolemia), and cystic fibrosis. Other uses include seizure disorders (epilepsy), autism, attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), eye problems (disorders of the retina), diabetes, and alcoholism. It is also used to improve mental performance and as an antioxidant. Antioxidants protect cells of the body from damage that results from certain chemical reactions involving oxygen (oxidation).

Taurine --WebMD

There is an ATS member with cystic fibrosis and if anyone knows who I am referring it may be a blessing for her if she hasn't discovered this information.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   

winofiend

1Providence1

That's why they put taurine in them. It's good for the heart also. And the liver. And the brain.

It's an anxiolytic, more or less, which is why energy drinks are so popular and skolling down pints of boiling hot black coffee is still only for connoisseurs at 5am with the turkish grinder and a pot bubbling away.

The amounts of caffeine (guarana) in them would have you shaking like the 1950's and you'd be pulling paint off the walls with your stare, but the taurine takes that edge off so you're just pinging like a tweeker waiting for a door to move.

I have had bulk taurine in the past, but over all I did not necessarily notice a big difference. Some people will say that it helps them focus too, they're able to get more work done. I can see this given the attention I feel when on the monster. Oh that evil medicine. sickly sweet and .. NEVER get the low sugar one.. saccharine.
the devils sweetener. "Come hither little one, taste my pleasures..." *GAH THATS NOT SWEET!!! IT'S ANUS FLAVOURED!!!*

Fun fact. Kittehs die without taurine. Next time you peruse fluffies whiskettes, check the cans of kitten food. "Taurine" will likely be an added component. Cats can't make their own. Humans, hus lot, make it all the time. So it's a non-essential amino acid.

Never fear, if they take our taurine away, we can always lick kittens.

LMFAO. Thank you for this post. That was awesome, and I can relate.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Better yet just stop smokeing

Sorry Im all for freedom to smoke (As long as its not near me) or hell drink methanol if you like.

But dont complain when you get ill.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

This one maybe?

Sound very similar to what you were describing, although not only taurine was used, but anti-oxidant rich diet, which contained taurine, as taurine is antioxidant.

This one also deals with taurine and CS:

www.trnres.com...

I did not focus fully, just took a glimpse, as I am not proficient enough in the field to understand the technical text in medicine- mice, CS and taurine were all involved and results were similar to what you remembered.

Or this: www.atsjournals.org...

There are many studies out there on the matter, as Taurine&Glycine are anti-oxidants. These are just a few I found within couple of minutes. If these are not the ones, I can search a bit later, as I am 100% sure, if it was out there, it still is somewhere, simply the usage of keywords can alter much more than in 2010. Google has made several big search algorithm updates, which can make finding things you used to find much harder in certain cases (personal experience).

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

Thanks for sharing. I did see the first one you mentioned and it wasn't the one I remember. Only taurine was given to the rodents.

The second and third weren't either.

edit on 10/6/2013 by sad_eyed_lady because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 04:06 AM
link   

sad_eyed_lady
reply to post by Cabin

Thanks for sharing. I did see the first one you mentioned and it wasn't the one I remember. Only taurine was given to the rodents.

Was it this one perhaps?
Taurine Protection of Lungs in Hamster Models

There seems to have been several similar studies posted.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Pardon?

sad_eyed_lady
reply to post by Cabin

Was it this one perhaps?
Taurine Protection of Lungs in Hamster Models

There seems to have been several similar studies posted.

Thank you for the time you guys have been putting into tracking this down. Just looking at the abstract I can tell it is not the study I saw. (wasn't hamsters, mentioned cigarette smoke, taurine was the only supplement given)

I don't want anyone to have to beat their brains out looking for this study. I just wanted to let people know that its findings that taurine holds promise for the prevention of emphysema in humans might be something to keep in mind if you have difficulty quitting.

Why it is not to be found anymore I cannot say. I have a few ideas why information that could extend one lifespan may not be desired by TPTB.

Thank you all for trying to track this down.

new topics

top topics

join